Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 1, Avs lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Neither Laine nor Dubois were enough. I guess you need the right top 3 pick?

I'm as disappointed as anyone at the way things are going lately, but I actually think the Jets are on the right track. Bring in a new coach, trade some expiring contracts, let some UFAs walk and inject some youth. Hopefully we can score a home run on some later picks/prospects to augment our core. We're not that far off in my opinion.
That was a disaster, but we end up with 3 decent assets. Still better than Puljurarvi or Juolevi lol. I agree however! I like where we are headed. Given time we will look back at this series as another one where got rolled by a wagon.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is an issue for sure.

Several pundits who cover the Jets even incidentally, and Murat who covers them exclusively, have wondered if the rigid adherence to Top 6/ checking / energy is actually an organizational imperative, not a coaching choice.

If so, then as you and others have pointed out, we're drafting for skill and IQ with a handful of spots to plug them into, instead of moving towards rolling 4 lines that blend skill, speed and other attributes (forechecking, puck retrieval, transition, speed, shot, etc). At times this year we've been close, but the default is always the default.

And the tactics are always the tactics. Chip n' chase, rim round the boards (though look at our D corps) cycle cycle cycle looking for the opening, PP get 'er back to the point, etc). When 55 says "We don't make adjustments," despite him being part of the problem, he's right.

With this core and the assets it spent on, and the season-long record, this team should have been able to, at the very least, play the Avs close in a 6 or 7 game series, and at best win it. Maybe they'll come out strong tomorrow and hang on for a win -- but even then few believe they'll carry that over.

At some point, the NHL playoffs are gruelling, and teams need their best selves to make it through round by round. With the Jets, for too long now, it's like all the worst parts of the team's game leak out instead.

Bones is many good things, but he is not the coach to solve these issues. Sitting Miller, a vet RHD brought in for the playoffs, for all but a few games, exposing Samberg on his offside -- why? Bringing in AJF, who hasn't been a Jets regular for most of the season, on a prayer -- why? Insisting on playing Pionk for 20 mins a game, despite the chaos he causes, and the penalties he takes, for the entire effing season -- why? Refusing to slot in your 19 goal scorer with strong defensive metrics, when you're leaking goals and can't seem to buy one -- why?

He's an intuitive coach. As Murat writes, "Bowness has said many times that he coaches by feel, trusting his gut, and that he’s happier to lose coaching his way than changing his approach to the game."

Not sure his gut is making the right moves atm.

Agreed, it looks like the org wants to do things that way. To me it comes down to Lowry. They fell in love with him and have insisted on making him a key part of the roster. As such they have realized they needed to make a third line around him and its apparent only one type of line will work for him. It also seems they have built an identity around his archetype. We play a game plan designed for a team of Lowry types but as mentioned we draft skill and IQ far more. There is a disconnect here.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
also if your ingame adjustment is to put ajf on the second line after not even using him on the pk then maybe players really shouldn't listen to the coach like wtf was that

That was a "hunch."

Meanwhile the PK continues to crumble, ligging around like a kid at a bus stop, wasting AJF's speed and great hair.

I think the 1st line has been good for the most part. 2nd line is stuck on Toffoli speed and lacks a speedy forechecker, and is getting torched.

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
This is an issue for sure.

Several pundits who cover the Jets even incidentally, and Murat who covers them exclusively, have wondered if the rigid adherence to Top 6/ checking / energy is actually an organizational imperative, not a coaching choice.

If so, then as you and others have pointed out, we're drafting for skill and IQ with a handful of spots to plug them into, instead of moving towards rolling 4 lines that blend skill, speed and other attributes (forechecking, puck retrieval, transition, speed, shot, etc). At times this year we've been close, but the default is always the default.

And the tactics are always the tactics. Chip n' chase, rim round the boards (though look at our D corps) cycle cycle cycle looking for the opening, PP get 'er back to the point, etc). When 55 says "We don't make adjustments," despite him being part of the problem, he's right.

With this core and the assets it spent on, and the season-long record, this team should have been able to, at the very least, play the Avs close in a 6 or 7 game series, and at best win it. Maybe they'll come out strong tomorrow and hang on for a win -- but even then few believe they'll carry that over.

At some point, the NHL playoffs are gruelling, and teams need their best selves to make it through round by round. With the Jets, for too long now, it's like all the worst parts of the team's game leak out instead.

Bones is many good things, but he is not the coach to solve these issues. Sitting Miller, a vet RHD brought in for the playoffs, for all but a few games, exposing Samberg on his offside -- why? Bringing in AJF, who hasn't been a Jets regular for most of the season, on a prayer -- why? Insisting on playing Pionk for 20 mins a game, despite the chaos he causes, and the penalties he takes, for the entire effing season -- why? Refusing to slot in your 19 goal scorer with strong defensive metrics, when you're leaking goals and can't seem to buy one -- why?

He's an intuitive coach. As Murat writes, "Bowness has said many times that he coaches by feel, trusting his gut, and that he’s happier to lose coaching his way than changing his approach to the game."

Not sure his gut is making the right moves atm.
Pretty close to the way I see it. Not sure how the league's 4th place team with the best defensive record and arguably the best goaltender can be dominated by a team 3 points lower in the standings but with questionable goaltending. And I mean dominated in all aspects of the game, with maybe the only bright spot being Helle able to withstand some of the pressure but simply ultimately getting overwhelmed. One would have thought even in losing, the Jets would carry it to 7 games but we'll likely be fortunate to go 6. My sense is that the Avs simply were and are better prepared to carry the play through the Jets defensive areas, their goaltender is able to at least play a little better than average and the Jets special teams are atrocious when compared to the opposition. Couple that with an inability to understand when and where the referees are going to have an impact (because, frankly, they have) and that's where they are. Unfortunately, its a little late for adjustments that will have the desired impact and win 3 straight coming up.
Lastly, I've never really thought that highly of Toffoli; he's likely not an improvement over Perfetti and Ehlers (who seems to be playing as though he's afraid of making a mistake) should be with Sheifle and Vilardi, moving Connor to the 2nd unit with Perfetti and Monahan.

tarozi

Oct 4, 2019
Nope it started with Maurice, then Lowry and now Bones. The constants are Scheifele, Ehlers and Connor. Softer than scotties tissue.
not built for plsyoffs along with the smallish defence.
Careful voicing the smallish defense and soft players comment, I voiced those concerns when they were doing a bit better during the regular season and got a strip torn out of me, you know who you are lol. The responses ranged from other teams say we are big and tough to play against, etc so you don't know what you're talking about.... Well where is that team in this series.

In reality, a lot of it is match-ups. We don't match up well with the AVs and this core group is more finesse hockey than dump, chase and win puck battles. The group that grinds it out can't seem to translate it into scoring and the finesse group doesn't win any puck battles and spends most of their shift in our zone chasing the play. Our top players are not at the same level as the AV's and we are being exposed.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Careful voicing the smallish defense and soft players comment, I voiced those concerns when they were doing a bit better during the regular season and got a strip torn out of me, you know who you are lol. The responses ranged from other teams say we are big and tough to play against, etc so you don't know what you're talking about.... Well where is that team in this series.

In reality, a lot of it is match-ups. We don't match up well with the AVs and this core group is more finesse hockey than dump, chase and win puck battles. The group that grinds it out can't seem to translate it into scoring and the finesse group doesn't win any puck battles and spends most of their shift in our zone chasing the play. Our top players are not at the same level as the AV's and we are being exposed.
Jets matched up fine against the Avs in the regular season. There is something more going on here. I get it, playoff hockey is a different beast, but it's like two totally different rosters out there. One team has "shown up to play" and the other has just been hot garbage top-to-bottom,

Defence is one thing, but our much-vaunted offence has vanished as well.

Lots of people absolving Fivebuyck of all blame but .870 sv% and 5.22 GAA is .870 sv% and 5.22 GAA.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The regular season isn't the playoffs, and Cup champion teams understand this more than anybody else. The Avs were never fazed by losing regular season games to Winnipeg, they understood full well the playoffs would be a different story.
This isn't just a different story though, it's a whole different universe.

Jets team clearly not build for playoffs. I guess I shouldn't be so shocked, we've seen other soft weak teams who are great in the regular season and then go out with barely a whimper come playoffs (like the Leafs 2017-present; not sure if there are any other comparables now that I think of it; people will say 07-14 Sharks but those teams routinely made it past the first round).

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
First off, I hope Names is ok. Win or lose, you don't want to see someone hurt like that.

It's very frustrating to watch this series. The Avs have fully earned their 3-1 series lead and have taken it to the Jets in so many ways.

What's frustrating is really "how" the Jets are losing. Self inflicted wounds all over. There is criticism to be made on both players and coaches. There are plays being made out there by the players that just can't happen. They're not winning puck battles, and making some very poor decisions. I feel sorry for Morrissey and Lowry, as they are the only two players making any difference out there.

But the coaching situation outweighs the players IMO. The Jets haven't had a competant breakout this series, haven't forechecked, or tried to reduce the Avs speed by changing up how they play in the neutral zone, haven't addressed stopping all the easy zone entries, haven't addressed the PK (all year), etc. These are things IMO that need the coaches to step up and try to change based on how they see the Avs playing.

But all we're getting is the Avs making stretch pass after stretch pass, watching them waltz into the zone with no pressure and with possession, and watch them easily exit their zone after the Jets try a half hearted dump and chase.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
No practice today so that would suggest bones is doubling down on his system... and likely scheif has quit on him.

CSE looked good so I'm sure vilardi is right back on line 1

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
No practice today so that would suggest bones is doubling down on his system... and likely scheif has quit on him.

No practice? Is that weird? It seems weird, especially given the complete wedgie we have been given so far in the tactics department, but maybe the video room is good enough?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

No practice? Argh.

Thought CSE looked very dangerous once reunited. Seemed to tilt the ice.

Hopefully Names is okay. My feed was awful, but even through the haze that one looked awful.

Hopeless romantic, me, but still think the Jets can work hard and win one. Even that, and going down fighting beats the not with a bang but a whimper team we've seen thus far this series.

If possible, would you kindly paste the text from the article, please? I'd like to read it but it's behind a pay wall.. heh heh

Forbidden on this site, as I know. Think you might get a freebie read or two.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The games in Colorado were close ... the Jets were tied or ahead in the second half of the game until the penalties started. The Stanley calls really were BS especially since the Avs were doing the same thing but anyways the PK got exposed again just like the whole regular season and nothing was done to fix it. The Avs have 2 super stars on the PP so you can't take penalties period..
The Canucks were out played in both games in Nashville the only difference was their PK was a perfect 7-7 in the 2 games.
The Oilers were out played and won mind you they only had to kill one penalty ... I guess the refs didn't want to decide the game.
Here's a question I'm sure everyone has seen the Leafs/Bruins highlights ... what if Brad Marchaud was wearing a Jets uniform ... how many penalties do you think he would have?
He has ZERO penalties in 4 games vs Leafs weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crocket and blues10

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
The games in Colorado were close ... the Jets were tied or ahead in the second half of the game until the penalties started. The Stanley calls really were BS especially since the Avs were doing the same thing but anyways the PK got exposed again just like the whole regular season and nothing was done to fix it. The Avs have 2 super stars on the PP so you can't take penalties period..
The Canucks were out played in both games in Nashville the only difference was their PK was a perfect 7-7.
The Oilers were out played and won mind you they only had to kill one penalty ... I guess the refs didn't want to decide the game.
Here's a question I'm sure everyone has seen the Leafs/Bruins highlights ... what if Brad Marchaud was wearing a Jets uniform ... how many penalties do you think he would have?
He has ZERO penalties in 4 games weird.
I don't know. Saying the Jets were winning until they got destroyed is like saying it was dry outside until it started raining.

I have been super impressed with Marchand. The guy is a disgusting weasel but man does he show up when it counts.

Reactions: Team Bring It

Ponds

ꮯꭺꭲꭺꮯꮮꭹꮪꮇ!
Nov 2, 2023
Anacita
No practice? Argh.

Thought CSE looked very dangerous once reunited. Seemed to tilt the ice.

Hopefully Names is okay. My feed was awful, but even through the haze that one looked awful.

Hopeless romantic, me, but still think the Jets can work hard and win one. Even that, and going down fighting beats the not with a bang but a whimper team we've seen thus far this series.

Forbidden on this site, as I know. Think you might get a freebie read or two.
Ah.. all good, figured it might be.
Copy the link and paste it at print-friendly dot com
Thank you kindly.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Agreed, it looks like the org wants to do things that way. To me it comes down to Lowry. They fell in love with him and have insisted on making him a key part of the roster. As such they have realized they needed to make a third line around him and its apparent only one type of line will work for him. It also seems they have built an identity around his archetype. We play a game plan designed for a team of Lowry types but as mentioned we draft skill and IQ far more. There is a disconnect here.
To be fair, Bones put Ehlers on that line yesterday and a segment of the posters on here didn't like it

Personally, I think it would be interesting to have a mix of skill/pucker on each line moving forward. Some version of this as the top 9:

Barron Schief Vilardi
Nino Perfetti Ehlers
Connor Lowry Names

Lastly, I think the problem with our group up front is that the guys who are skilled/crafty with the puck lack either size/grit or speed. If they had one or the other, they'd be more effective in playoff hockey. I'm talking Monahan, Toffoli, Vilardi, and I'd suspect Cloe would fall into this

The reason I day this is that with the puck, it's OK to lack those attributes but away from the puck it's hard to compete vs a team like the Avs, but might do better in a different matchup

Reactions: JetsUK and surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

soft players might be apropos. but i dont know how many view size the difference of this series? it's puck-moving, transition and then some GAF. there really isn't much difference in the average height or weights of the top-9Fs or top-4Ds b/w the two teams. the Avs are winning far more puck battles or races, way superior off the rush and creating turnovers into chances. they can move the puck extremely effectively out of their own zone too. their puck skills along with speed are in another tier to ours.

the Jets are getting shred by a 2nd line of parise-middlestadt-lehkonen

that's 5'11 195lb, 6'1 195 lb, and 5'11 179 lb. that's average size.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To be fair, Bones put Ehlers on that line yesterday and a segment of the posters on here didn't like it

Personally, I think it would be interesting to have a mix of skill/pucker on each line moving forward. Some version of this as the top 9:

Barron Schief Vilardi
Nino Perfetti Ehlers
Connor Lowry Names

Lastly, I think the problem with our group up front is that the guys who are skilled/crafty with the puck lack either size/grit or speed. If they had one or the other, they'd be more effective in playoff hockey. I'm talking Monahan, Toffoli, Vilardi, and I'd suspect Cloe would fall into this

The reason I day this is that with the puck, it's OK to lack those attributes but away from the puck it's hard to compete vs a team like the Avs, but might do better in a different matchup

I agree with you on running a diverse group of forwards. I've been arguing for truly balanced lines for a while now.

I see what you are saying about weaknesses. Hard to say on Cole as we haven't seen him play yet but one thing he has going for him is he already has a strong lower center of gravity and is only going to get stronger. I think he can learn to excel using his smarts, in tight control and lower body strength to create space for himself. Much like how Aho does in Carolina. Improving his explosiveness would also go a long ways as his top speed is above average.

But I also think divising a game plan similar to Tampa would also go a long way to utilizing the IQ we have upfront a bit better. But I also think we need more dmen like JoMo who can read and react and no when to jump into the 5 man cycle to really start to pull teams a part with precision puck movement and switches and rotations.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
I agree. He is letting in goals he normally dosnt. Especially the five hole. But True North loyalty will prevent that from ever happening. They tend to always die on the hill they make without fail.

Then they should recognize that and move on from him while he still has value. Thats what pro active teams do. But we all know True North very rarely gives up on their own.

He can defend just fine. He’s not going to overpower anyone but he is very intelligent, similar to how Enstrom played defense. And a huge part of defence is the ability to transition out of our end and that is where he shines. That is the ability we lack currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad