Post-Game Talk: Avs 5 - Jets 1, Avs lead series 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
For whatever it`s worth, I think many posters have simply drawn the wrong conclusions from the seasonal games with the Avs and our ability to edge them out for 2nd place in the division. We entered the playoffs on the premise that , despite the Avs having a few superior elite level players, they were essentially a one line team with limited balance, and as such, that they could be overcome by our superior balance and depth. Wrong.

There may have been some merit to this notion through the season, but their management made several roster adjustments before TDL (think Mittlestadt at C, Walker at D, and Trenin /Duhaime as energy guys) that addressed their shortcomings. Both Mittlestadt and Walker seem to be near perfect fits for the style played by the Avs, both competent and skilled while comfortable playing at an uptempo pace, while Trenin/Duhaime complemented their abilty to pressure forecheck.

Regrettably, the changes we made at TDL have for the most part not been as well considered and have not worked out as well. Thats a separate discussion in itself but in some respects, it feels like we may have actually taken a step back as a result of the TDL activity.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
heinola can barely tread water in the NHL regular season. he would be eaten alive by the Avs stop kidding yourself. i don't think anyone wants to pay playoff prices to see "young team in development mode"

If I had tickets tomorrow and they were playing a bunch of rookies I'd offload them at cost if I could.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Oh but rebuilds take ten years and never work...
I assume you're being sarcastic ...

But even if not, at this point I don't even care if a rebuild "doesn't work". Just give me some hockey by hungry players who want to win and give it their all. Not this horse 🤬 we're subjected to every playoffs.

Jets got swept in 2015 but that team gave it everything they had an fought tooth-and-nail. That is WAY more entertaining. Give me four games of one goal losses over this gutless nonsesense and I'll be happy. Doesn't need to "work" in terms of a Cup.

Also 2018 to present hasn't worked. Time to try something else. At this point I'll take anything including a failed rebuild.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How exactly do you know this? He's played 10 NHL games in 2 years. Can players get better? Or should we just play the gud pro every time?

Young players need chances. Is Heinola the answer? Does he suck? Who knows! He needs to play to find out, he's clearly dominant in the AHL. They better find a f***ing way to give him a chance next year.
i took that post in the context of the series against the Avs, not next year which was apparently its intent. Heinola may have a shot next year as a 3rd pair D, but i hope that the team aims bigger to improve their back-end overall.

he has had chances and not played well. you can review those NHL games if you like. is heinola the answer? the Jets are the most well-equipped ones to answer that as they have followed him & analyze his play from 2018 onward. have you or others to the same extent? he may just be a v good AHL player and not-so-good NHL player which happens believe it or not.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Getting out coached again just like Maurice did.
Its not that hard to get outcoached when you have the EXACT same 6 below average defencemen.
Face it the Jets defensemen are the frauds ... Morrissey is the only defenceman the Jets have ... keep him and Samberg with his cheap contract the rest are 3rd pairing or backup in case of injuries on playoff contenders. Both Vegas and Canucks got rid of Schmidt and the Jets are paying him almost $6M.:huh:
If you cannot carry the puck out of the DZ or protect/block out forwards in front of your goalie you are not a top 4 defenseman on any contender.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
At this point, maybe, why not? I have tickets to game #5 and given this team's history when facing elimination, I am fully going to that game expecting it to be a mitigating disaster, and that's with our current lineup.
you already have the tickets. if the Jets announce tomorrow they are icing a bunch of AHL guys you think you're going to get more bites on a resale at min. face-value cost? idk i find that far fetched.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Its not that hard to get outcoached when you have the EXACT same 6 below average defencemen.
Face it the Jets defensemen are the frauds ... Morrissey is the only defenceman the Jets have ... keep him and Samberg with his cheap contract the rest are 3rd pairing or backup in case of injuries on playoff contenders. Both Vegas and Canucks got rid of Schmidt and the Jets are paying him almost $6M.:huh:
If you cannot carry the puck out of the DZ or protect/block out forwards in front of your goalie you are not a top 4 defenseman on any contender.
Maurice had the best defence in the league and still got outcoahed by cavemen Gallant and Berube.

Bowness chooses to play guys on their off wing and with no foot spead.

Maurice had the best defence in the league and still got outcoahed by cavemen Gallant and Berube.

OK, coach... what's YOUR plan?

Be specific
Clog up the neutral zone and force turnovers.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I think that lost in all of this is how well Georgiev has played after game 1

In the next three games, he put up save percentages of .933, .917 and .963

The narrative that we were going to ba able to handle the Avs was based in part on him continuing to be sub-.900

I know that we're getting out-scored by a wider margin than that difference, but the timing of goals makes a difference. Getting up on a team like the Avs forces them to open and take chances, which can be capitalized on (just like they're doing to us). Yesterday we were up 2-1 and the game might have looked differently had we gotten a soft one to make it 3-1 instead of them tying it up and running away with it

Reactions: thereturn

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Clog up the neutral zone and force turnovers.
So I take it you mean switching from an agressive 2-1-2 forcheck that sees the D activating and the high forward covering to a 1-2-2?

Have the Jets played that system at all this year? Pretty tough to make that switch for the first time mid-game. It would be a shitshow

Making adjustments inst the same as a complete overhaul of your structure on thr fly

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Watching Makar, Toews, Walker and Girard (whose return I think was an underrated piece of momentum for the Avs) immediately turn every Jets' turnover or missed chance into a zone exit has been incredible. I don't even get how they do it so quickly, but we simply cannot match that and haven't had the personnel for it in years.

Other than Morrissey, all our d-men need short outlet passes to be effective. I can't tell if it's by design or laziness, but those outlet passes are nowhere to be found this series. Given the persistence of forwards leaving the zone, and trying to stretch the ice, I think it's by design. And we are getting absolutely shredded for it.

Reactions: PaulPooley

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Montreal in the bubble year were not considered a playoff threat. Got down 3 - 1 to the Leafs before they started to trap in the neutral zone and force turnovers. Went on to lock down the Jets and Vegas and almost did the same to Tampa.

Reactions: FlappyGiraffe

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
So I take it you mean switching from an agressive 2-1-2 forcheck that sees the D activating and the high forward covering to a 1-2-2?

Have the Jets played that system at all this year? Pretty tough to make that switch for the first time mid-game. It would be a shitshow

Making adjustments inst the same as a complete overhaul of your structure on thr fly
We already play one high forward going to two shouldn't be a problem.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
i took that post in the context of the series against the Avs, not next year which was apparently its intent. Heinola may have a shot next year as a 3rd pair D, but i hope that the team aims bigger to improve their back-end overall.

he has had chances and not played well. you can review those NHL games if you like. is heinola the answer? the Jets are the most well-equipped ones to answer that as they have followed him & analyze his play from 2018 onward. have you or others to the same extent? he may just be a v good AHL player and not-so-good NHL player which happens believe it or not.
10 games averaging 13 minutes a night in the last 2 years is not a chance.

I fully recognize that he might not turn out, but 10 games in 2 years ain't enough to prove that. Also, are the Jets the best ones? How is our track record with defensemen over the last 13 years, we developed Morrissey and Trouba and that's about it? Samberg too I guess is decent, nothing to write home about.

I trust the Jets with defensemen about as far as I can throw em.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Which they don't know yet, because they haven't cared to find out yet. That might be acceptable, that might not be.

It only becomes a problem when the guys you do trust are getting their teeth kicked in, just like Pionk and Stanley right now, and suddenly you cannot react to it in any way. You've had 82 games to figure out whether you're OK with slotting Heinola, Capo, Chisholm (lol) and the likes into the mix at your time of need. Now that we're seeing AHL level Pionk out there, what harm could it do to replace him with anybody with a pulse? Not a single player in the playoffs right now is allowing more chances against than him.

If you chose not to trust the youth, you need to either a) be very confident in your own choices and their abilities, or b) resign if your guys don't cut it. This isn't difficult.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
OK, I think I've identified my current struggle. :)

The rationalist angry fan in me suggests that the Jets lose game 5 in epic fashion.

The hopeful fanatic in me suggests the Jets struggle and push this to game 7 and win in the first OT at 17' with Ehlers getting the game winning goal.

Where do you fit?

a. rationalist angry mofo
b. hopeful fanatic swine
c. both, depends how much coffee/cilantro I've ingested

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011

The rationalist angry fan in me suggests that the Jets lose game 5 in epic fashion.

The hopeful fanatic in me suggests the Jets struggle and push this to game 7 and win in the first OT at 17' with Ehlers getting the game winning goal.

Where do you fit?

b. hopeful fanatic swine
Despite what some people think of us in category a, we all have a little category b in us.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Where do you fit?

b. hopeful fanatic swine
c. both, depends how much coffee/cilantro I've ingested
How about d) rationalist old guy who's life and mood isn't dependent on hockey and is now looking forward to playing the Roughriders only 3 weeks from today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad