GDT: Trade deadline 2021: Monday at 3pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Let's recap...

We lost a 2nd, 3rd, 7th round pick, Heineman, Borgstrom, Stillman and moved Connolly.
Acquired Bennett, Montour, Gusev, 6th round pick and the two Lucases (Wallmark and Carlsson).

Right now I'd give it a B-. We didn't move any premium assets and we didn't obtain any premium value back. I don't particularly love or hate any of these moves. I don't love losing a 2nd, 3rd, Heineman, Borg and Stillman all at the same time without getting some really solid piece out of it, but Zito has been good at acquiring "B" or "C-level" assets for free (waiver claims, signing college free agents etc.) so that makes it easier to swallow.

Thoughts?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Thoughts?

Gotta wait and see the modified product on the ice first before laying down the penultimate verdict. Moreover, I think these (minor) moves are prelude to a bigger trade in the next off-season so this is just a trial run to see what this squad can do in the playoffs and then Zito will go all-in. I'm thinking that LuoStar + Tippett + 1st will be traded for Laine.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Let's recap...

We lost a 2nd, 3rd, 7th round pick, Heineman, Borgstrom, Stillman and moved Connolly.
Acquired Bennett, Montour, Gusev, 6th round pick and the two Lucases (Wallmark and Carlsson).

Right now I'd give it a B-. We didn't move any premium assets and we didn't obtain any premium value back. I don't particularly love or hate any of these moves. I don't love losing a 2nd, 3rd, Heineman, Borg and Stillman all at the same time without getting some really solid piece out of it, but Zito has been good at acquiring "B" or "C-level" assets for free (waiver claims, signing college free agents etc.) so that makes it easier to swallow.

Thoughts?
It's hard to love the Chicago trade, but if Connolly's salary is used on Bennett next year it may be worth it. If Bennett works out, that is. I think all three of Bennett, Montour, and Gusev have the potential to be steals or complete busts. Very hard to rate the moves before knowing the fallout.

Edit: I'm also optimistic and think that the assets we lost do not set back the team significantly even if they are all busts.

Last edited:

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

Reading GR's article this morning, he said the Panthers balked at the price. "Either financial or what it would cost in future assets."

So yea, I dont think Florida really made a firm offer. I think the idea that Hall was a UFA was what did it, and instead they paid *more* for a cost controlled player.

Also, apparently Q announcing Driedger as a starter was how Florida officially took him off the market. Gangster move :laugh:

The part about Judge not wanting to leave and Florida not wanting him to go made me sad though

"He will soon enough. Just not now."

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Philosophical point: it’s much easier to be a pessimist than an optimist.

A pessimist says the trades sucked, we have only two or three good NHL players, we’re lucky to even get into the playoffs, because the coaches suck, the GM sucks, the team sucks. BUT, if we do okay, all that whining and bitching is forgotten because everyone is happy with the success.

Conversely, an optimist will try to find the good moves and the good players and how the team has clearly improved, even if it is imperfect. If they make the playoffs but exit in round 1, the naysayers will be there instantly, with the quotes ready, to put down the optimists.

So to all you pessimists: you’re just playing it safe which takes zero courage. But I get it, you need to do it because you’re unable to deal with the prospect of admitting failure.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Wennberg is criminally underrated around these parts.
Consistent in what he brings nightly. his goalscoring looks average next to Hubs up from below average as was advertised. Not flashly, but above average defensively, an upgrade from last years Trocheck on the cheap. But there always has to be a scapegoat. Picked at random each season it seems.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Heard from a decent source this morning that Hall essentially forced the Sabres' hand on a move to Boston. He wouldn't wave his NMC anywhere but Beantown that's why their return was so low. It was either that or Hall would stay put in Buffalo and ride out his contract.
Not surprising: once again, if we look at Zito's moves, it's clear that he had sense that Savard/Hall were not feasible at their prices.

Reactions: harv33173

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Consistent in what he brings nightly. his goalscoring looks average next to Hubs up from below average as was advertised. Not flashly, but above average defensively, an upgrade from last years Trocheck on the cheap. But there always has to be a scapegoat. Picked at random each season it seems.
Watching Barkov play has given me new perspective to the game, paying more attention to the little things smart players do away from the puck. Wennberg is one of those guys that does the little things so well and never gets credit for it.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Heard from a decent source this morning that Hall essentially forced the Sabres' hand on a move to Boston. He wouldn't wave his NMC anywhere but Beantown that's why their return was so low. It was either that or Hall would stay put in Buffalo and ride out his contract.

Why would Buffalo ever sign him to a one-year contract and give him a no-movement clause is beyond me? I mean, they couldn't predict they were going to have the season they did, but to give a 1-year player a no movement Clause was just silly!

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Watching Barkov play has given me new perspective to the game, paying more attention to the little things smart players do away from the puck. Wennberg is one of those guys that does the little things so well and never gets credit for it.

He's a solid player(bottom six). He checks off a lot of boxes in the small details, but he makes a play every once in awhile that you can't believe for someone who is supposed to be good defensively. Still, I mean he's being paid 2.25M. People just hate on him because they want a bonafide 2C. He is what he is, a placeholder until our prospects mature enough to phase him out.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why would Buffalo ever sign him to a one-year contract and give him a no-movement clause is beyond me? I mean, they couldn't predict they were going to have the season they did, but to give a 1-year player a no movement Clause was just silly!
To induce him to sign: this outcome wasn't terrible from the perspective of six months ago
He's a solid player(bottom six). He checks off a lot of boxes in the small details, but he makes a play every once in awhile that you can't believe for someone who is supposed to be good defensively. Still, I mean he's being paid 2.25M. People just hate on him because they want a bonafide 2C. He is what he is, a placeholder until our prospects mature enough to phase him out.

Yep: People want a Trocheck or offensive 2C; I get it. Still, the hate for a guy doing his job and frankly making Barkov's life easier is ridiculous.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I am sure it was a requirement from Hall's camp that Buffalo either complied with or otherwise would not sign him. They chose to comply with it. They got Hall.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
To induce him to sign: this outcome wasn't terrible from the perspective of six months ago.

I would be surprised if Buffalo was the one offering it. I would be legitimately surprised if any team would willingly lead with an option that handcuffs them.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I wouldn't classify him as bottom6 guy though, that doesn't really suit his game. He's somewhere in between 2C and 3C, on a team with no better options he can be a serviceable 2C, which I think he's done so far. Would it be great if he could score more? Sure, but we saw in previous years where a purely offensive minded (injuries troubling him or not, that version of Trocheck didn't play defence even if his life depended on it) 2C got us. Defence and being smart with the puck is important too, as I already said Wennberg makes those little winning plays on every shift that you won't really notice unless you pay attention to him.

Is Wennberg ever going to be a legit 2C on a contending team? Probably not, but there's always rebuilding teams that can use a guy like that. We could've done a lot worse, for example signing Turris.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
I would be surprised if Buffalo was the one offering it. I would be legitimately surprised if any team would willingly lead with an option that handcuffs them.

Maybe, maybe not. But put your GM hat on a moment. They paid nothing for the 1-year deal except salary/cap room. The NMC clause is really a non-issue because (assuming a GM will sign a player like him expecting to win games) as they had to trade him, it's pure profit from their standpoint.

Reactions: violaswallet

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't classify him as bottom6 guy though, that doesn't really suit his game. He's somewhere in between 2C and 3C, on a team with no better options he can be a serviceable 2C, which I think he's done so far. Would it be great if he could score more? Sure, but we saw in previous years where a purely offensive minded (injuries troubling him or not, that version of Trocheck didn't play defence even if his life depended on it) 2C got us. Defence and being smart with the puck is important too, as I already said Wennberg makes those little winning plays on every shift that you won't really notice unless you pay attention to him.

Is Wennberg ever going to be a legit 2C on a contending team? Probably not, but there's always rebuilding teams that can use a guy like that. We could've done a lot worse, for example signing Turris.

Well yeah that's what I meant, on a contender which is what we're aiming to be, he isn't gonna be the 2C.

I agree on Turris, I never bought into him. He's been done for years.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Maybe, maybe not. But put your GM hat on a moment. They paid nothing for the 1-year deal except salary/cap room. The NMC clause is really a non-issue because (assuming a GM will sign a player like him expecting to win games) as they had to trade him, it's pure profit from their standpoint.
Yep: It was also a super unconventional contract for a superstar given the location

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
To induce him to sign: this outcome wasn't terrible from the perspective of six months ago

I am sure it was a requirement from Hall's camp that Buffalo either complied with or otherwise would not sign him. They chose to comply with it. They got Hall.
IIRC wasn't Hall a late signing. Like no one really wanted him for that price? I wonder if Buffalo could have held to not include the no movement so they could get something better for him at the deadline. Unless they truly thought they were going to contend in that tough division.

To me they kind of just paid 6 million dollars for a second round pick.
:huh:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
on a side note, because I haven't noticed too much talk about him, but looking at Carlsson's stats (from the connolly trade) he could be a half decent pickup. at bare minimum a good AHL player.

drafted in 2016 so he's not that old (4th round, out of Brynas of the SHL). plays out his two post-draft seasons there with Brynas. then goes to the AHL for a full season and does really well (9g/33pts in 69 games), gets another season in the AHL after that (along with 6 games in the NHL and was a +3 with an assist) where he gets Best Defenseman team honors on pace for 7g/37pts. then this season where he got a little AHL time (3pts in 7 games) and NHL time (12 games). so he's in the middle of his 5th year post-draft. he's 6'0 190lbs. dont know what his actual D game is like but I was surprised when I dug deeper into him. thought he was some no namer like that morrison guy from the hinostroza trade.

Reactions: KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
IIRC wasn't Hall a late signing. Like no one really wanted him for that price? I wonder if Buffalo could have held to not include the no movement so they could get something better for him at the deadline. Unless they truly thought they were going to contend in that tough division.

To me they kind of just paid 6 million dollars for a second round pick.
:huh:
Yes they did, and that would be a horrible mistake.... if it weren’t the case that that’s the least of Buffalo’s problems right now.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
on a side note, because I haven't noticed too much talk about him, but looking at Carlsson's stats (from the connolly trade) he could be a half decent pickup. at bare minimum a good AHL player.

drafted in 2016 so he's not that old (4th round, out of Brynas of the SHL). plays out his two post-draft seasons there with Brynas. then goes to the AHL for a full season and does really well (9g/33pts in 69 games), gets another season in the AHL after that (along with 6 games in the NHL and was a +3 with an assist) where he gets Best Defenseman team honors on pace for 7g/37pts. then this season where he got a little AHL time (3pts in 7 games) and NHL time (12 games). so he's in the middle of his 5th year post-draft. he's 6'0 190lbs. dont know what his actual D game is like but I was surprised when I dug deeper into him. thought he was some no namer like that morrison guy from the hinostroza trade.

Yeah I think Carlsson is a slightly worse prospect than Stiller. He might get lost in our prospect depth down the line, but it's good to have depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad