GDT: Trade deadline 2021: Monday at 3pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
With Mantha traded and excluding future RFAs + ELCs, Larkin and Panik are the only roster players Detroit currently has signed past 2022.

Yzerman has some serious room to take on bad contracts for more assets.

Reactions: violaswallet

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

Really glad he touched on the whole Ek situation. Sounds like he had a plan in place, then the injury happened. Instead of just some woe is me and sell sell sell, they seemed to go through with the plan. Maybe not to the extent they had thought prior, but they definitely weren't sellers.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Really glad he touched on the whole Ek situation. Sounds like he had a plan in place, then the injury happened. Instead of just some woe is me and sell sell sell, they seemed to go through with the plan. Maybe not to the extent they had thought prior, but they definitely weren't sellers.
Yep: I think Montour instead of Kulikov might have been the D add, but everyone else made a lot of sense with Ekblad.

Big confidence shot in the locker room I think: kept CD AND added some good parts.

Reactions: Cold Cat

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Let's see some grades. I give it a solid B+. I like the additions to the forward group and on the back end. I like keeping dreigder. I like not giving up 1st rd picks. Only negative is not getting a center to push wennberg down to the 3rd line but perhaps there were limited options.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
1. Best move - Shedding Connolly. The Lucas Brothers are likely non factors here. A
2. Gusev - Safe Gamble. No downside. A.
3. Montour - Very meh. Depends if we can get the better Duck version. C+
4. Bennett - from the info I gathered, whether you agree with the source or not, we weren't even in the last few teams going after Hall. If the focus was on Bennett and no offer was made for Hall, I give this a D.

Overall a C for me.

Get me results and prove me wrong Sam.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Only negative is not getting a center to push wennberg down to the 3rd line but perhaps there were limited options.

If Zito is planning on Lundelling in the next season then they don't need a scoring top6 but rather two top9 centers who can occasionally play close to 20mins per game and against other teams' top lines. Wennberg can do that, maybe LuoStar in the next season, but Bennett has been a 8-14mins bottom6er for CGY so this was essentially 2nds for a 4th liner (like Vatrano as a 3rd liner plays pretty consistently 14-16mins per game). At this point I'm assuming that the centers for the next season will be Barkov-Lundell-Luostarinen-Wennberg.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
If Zito is planning on Lundelling in the next season then they don't need a scoring top6 but rather two top9 centers who can occasionally play close to 20mins per game and against other teams' top lines. Wennberg can do that, maybe LuoStar in the next season, but Bennett has been a 8-14mins bottom6er for CGY so this was essentially 2nds for a 4th liner (like Vatrano as a 3rd liner plays pretty consistently 14-16mins per game). At this point I'm assuming that the centers for the next season will be Barkov-Lundell-Luostarinen-Wennberg.
Cookie is way better at center than Loustar or Wennberg

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Cookie is way better at center than Loustar or Wennberg

You're probably right but I don't see Luostar or Wennberg playing anywhere else than at center while Acciari can play everywhere in the forward lineup. Both Wenn and Luostar have been asked to play above their abilities so Q has to make a decision whether to go forward with Lu&Wenn in the bottom6 or get some other personnel there since regular top6 duties are way above their abilities.

edit: Moreover, if Luo gets ejected from the lineup to Syracuse or Raleigh, this effectively means that Q is unable coach or just has a tremendous distaste for rookies... so far after season 'n a half it looks like Q can only work with players who at least close to being finished products.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Not a huge fan of these trades e.g. I don't really expect a whole lot from any of the players acquired.

Positives:
- Clear a bad contract, giving us cap space for next year
- Gusev is a low risk move, no assets given up
- Not trading Dreidger for a pick, more value to us with the condensed schedule

Negatives:
- The price for Bennet is really high. Seems like a 4th liner. Paying a 2nd round pick and a prospect for him is too much. Maybe helps the PK. Decent possession driver.
- Montour. The value of a 3rd round pick is probably higher than what he brings to the table. Skeptical of how the D corps can handle his addition.
Seems like a worse version of Matheson. Needed a shut down d more than an offensive D, but price for Savard is too much. He should help the power play.
Montour just seems duplicative of the defensemen we currently have.
- Not moving Stralman or Yandle. (This is a nitpick, probably impossible contracts to move)

Overall:

The roster does need an injection of life after the Ekblad injury. Its clear that the bottom 3 lines can't compete with Carolina and Tampa. Zito got a few pieces give Q some options. Seems like they are trying to add pieces for special teams during the playoffs.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
It's been said already, but probably needs to be repeated a few more times.....

We weren't part of the discussion and that's why it went for similar Bennett/Janmark return.

And Bennett is the only RFA of the bunch... And even if I would have taken a gamble on Hall, or would have liked a true center like Janmark...

I’m really glad Zito got Bennett out of those 3 guys !

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Being a great playoff is great and all, but if he is part of our future, then he needs to be better in the regular season. We aren't a playoff lock there. I sure hope Bennett isn't just a playoff person. Need to get there first.

I'll be hoping for his success. The price that was paid, as it stands, is higher than it should have been.

Either way, it's done. So get the games going. Get your visa Sam.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Is Bennett a 4th liner in the Panthers tho...plus we can we use the added depth.

Gusev is a good move. Super low risk. I think we should put him in that first line and he should hopefully link up with Barky.

when’s Duke back?

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Montour just seems duplicative of the defensemen we currently have.

Looking at his stats he really hasn't been a major PP producer, majority of his points have come from 5vs5. There's some low key potential á la Forsling with Montour but I'm not sure if Q can unlock it. Can play against top competition but he needs high quality teammates, and plays a lot minutes.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
1. Best move - Shedding Connolly. The Lucas Brothers are likely non factors here. A
2. Gusev - Safe Gamble. No downside. A.
3. Montour - Very meh. Depends if we can get the better Duck version. C+
4. Bennett - from the info I gathered, whether you agree with the source or not, we weren't even in the last few teams going after Hall. If the focus was on Bennett and no offer was made for Hall, I give this a D.

Overall a C for me.

Get me results and prove me wrong Sam.

have the opposite take on bennett vs hall.

hall is not a fit here but has potential to be a good fit in boston.

bennett looks like he might be a really nice fit here. this is a kid with grit and skill who's still only 24 and really hasn't been put in a position to succeed before.

this could be a deadline day sleeper.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Just because calgary used Bennett in a lesser role doesn’t mean we will. Doesn’t mean he’s that level of player. I’m sure zito didn’t pay that price if he planned on him being a 4th liner. He fits our play style. Hard working, in your face, competes, shows up in the playoffs and big games.

I’m sure either him or Verhaeghe will be centering in the top-9. After these additions I don’t see Loustarinen in the top-9.

Reactions: violaswallet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad