NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

NE releases Rourke. Really, best thing for him given they have veteran Brissett and just drafted a pair of QBs in Maye and the QB from Tenn Vols. He'd just be a camp arm and no shot to make the 53 man roster.

Now he at least is a free agent and able to sign with a club that he has a shot with. Feels like he just made a bad decision to sign in Jax. With Lawrence, entering his 3rd year QB, teams were going to roll with someone with some experience as the backup.

Wonder what his best option is for an NFL team at this point. After Nix, no QB went til round 5 with Rattler. So minimal draft capital used on those guys. Wouldn't bother a team to have to cut them for Rourke if he was deemed better.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

NE releases Rourke. Really, best thing for him given they have veteran Brissett and just drafted a pair of QBs in Maye and the QB from Tenn Vols. He'd just be a camp arm and no shot to make the 53 man roster.

Now he at least is a free agent and able to sign with a club that he has a shot with. Feels like he just made a bad decision to sign in Jax. With Lawrence, entering his 3rd year QB, teams were going to roll with someone with some experience as the backup.

Wonder what his best option is for an NFL team at this point. After Nix, no QB went til round 5 with Rattler. So minimal draft capital used on those guys. Wouldn't bother a team to have to cut them for Rourke if he was deemed better.

I believe due to his experience he was waived not released. Which means he's at the mercy of whatever teams claims him. But I decided to do some digging. I used this link to look at QB depth charts around the league. As an aside, I have no idea if any of these teams are interested in HIM of course, just who I think he could help the most.

Best Fits are the teams where I think he could/should really challenge for the #2 role. Which would put him one injury away from getting to prove it in a game. Which is what he needs, IMO. He's never going to wow you in practice, he shows his best in games. As he showed in pre-season last year.

Best Fits
Los Angeles Chargers

1. Justin Herbert
2. Easton Stick
3. Max Duggan
4. Casey Bauman
Stick was a 5th rounder in 2019 and recorded an 0-4 record in 5 games last year. At 28 likely no more upside. They gave Stick 1.5 guaranteed on a 1 year 2.5 million deal, but have to think there's a possibility at least to be unseated as the backup here. Duggan was a 7th rounder in 2023, don't think there's that much there. Bauman is a Canadian QB who was a long shot to be drafted to CFL, nevermind sign an NFL deal, I'm thinking he's in for a position change. Should at least have a chance to stick as the #2. Problem being is Herbert is rarely injured to get a real chance and Stick's 1.5 mil guarantee will be hard to get around.

Chicago Bears
1. Caleb Williams
2. Tyson Bagent
3. Brett Rypien
4. Austin Reid
The 3 backups have a combined 25k in guarantees for next year (all to Bagent). Bagent is UDFA, hasn't shown much. For the 2nd straight team on my list another Canadian QB in Rypien shows up, but hes a PR rider that's bounced around and is starting to get up there in age. Reid is some UDFA I don't know. Downside is that I find it hard to believe that Chicago won't bring in a vet backup for Williams.

Green Bay Packers
1. Jordan Love
2. Sean Clifford
3. Michael Pratt
Clifford was a 5th rounder in 2023 and Pratt was a 7th in 2024. Neither have big investments in them. Green Bay is unlikely to try to add another QB at any point. Definitely have a chance to beat out two late picks. Downside is that GB did invest in picks in both so they clearing like something about both of them already and he could find himself without a PR offer even if they stick with the guys they already have.

New Orleans Saints
1. Derek Carr
2. Jake Haener
3. Spencer Rattler
4. Nathan Petermann
5. Kellen Mond
Haener was a 4th in 2023, Rattler a 5th in 2024. So again two drafted QBs to beat out. Plus the crowd they already have. But none of them are particularly impressive. If he could climb as high as #2 on the depth chart this is the best situation of them all with the uninspiring older Carr more likely to lead to a chance to actually see the field. Of course here is probably the riskiest of this group with the gaggle of QB's already under contract he could quickly find himself off even the PR.

Los Angeles Rams
1. Matthew Stafford
2. Stetson Bennett
3. Dresser Winn
IMO, this is where Rourke would be best positioned. Yes Bennett was a 4th rounder in 2023. But he was MIA much of the year last year. I know he was some big hot shot in college but most think it won't translate. He's the same age as Rourke already as well. Grooming under Stafford and McVay would be perfect. Winn is some 2023 college UDFA I don't know.

The mediocre fits are places he can land as at least a 3rd string as he'd be a clear upgrade on their current #3. Of course all the above teams qualify for that as well. Don't feel like going into as much detail here, but mostly they have established 1-2 combo's with UDFA's as #3's.

Mediocre Fits
Buffalo Bills
Kansas City Chiefs
Las Vegas Raiders
Washington Commanders
Detroit Lions
Carolina Panthers
Seattle Seahawks

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rams have Jimmy G after week 2 to backup.

Of the ones you listed I’d probably say Chargers.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Rams have Jimmy G after week 2 to backup.

Of the ones you listed I’d probably say Chargers.
Hmm yeah site I looked at didn't have him listed.

Yeah I think the Chargers would be a good fit. But likely in the same stupid scenario as Jacksonville where the useless vet gets the role cause he has ~1-2 million in guarantees.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hmm yeah site I looked at didn't have him listed.

Yeah I think the Chargers would be a good fit. But likely in the same stupid scenario as Jacksonville where the useless vet gets the role cause he has ~1-2 million in guarantees.
That's the other factor. Guaranteed money. But, also depends on the HC. Defensive HC are more conservative so will go veteran. Harbaugh is an offensive coach but old school in his approach. So, he'd rather manage the game if Herbert is out.

Ideally need an offensive coach who will try to run the same game plan or adjust to fit the backup.

Just don't know if that opportunity is going to be out there for Rourke.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Rourke was claimed off waivers by the Giants
Hmm.... Locke will start the season for NYG. I mean Jones tore his ACL around the same time as Kyler did the prior season and using his return as a basis, Jones should be out til sometime in October. DeVito is the other QB to Jones and Locke.

That's the battle for Rourke. Have to beat out DeVito to be on the 53 man roster vs the PS.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hmm.... Locke will start the season for NYG. I mean Jones tore his ACL around the same time as Kyler did the prior season and using his return as a basis, Jones should be out til sometime in October. DeVito is the other QB to Jones and Locke.

That's the battle for Rourke. Have to beat out DeVito to be on the 53 man roster vs the PS.
Interesting. I was completely unaware that there was a possibility Jones was going to miss the start of the year. That might be decent then.

My concern is the PR factor with regards to DeVito. The whole "hometown hero" angle.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting. I was completely unaware that there was a possibility Jones was going to miss the start of the year. That might be decent then.

My concern is the PR factor with regards to DeVito. The whole "hometown hero" angle.
Like I said, just going by the Kyler's return from his ACL. Each player is different. Adrian Peterson tore his in the final week and was back for game 1 the next season. But, he was a freak of nature. Maybe Jones does make it back in time, but most who do come back aren't quite the same the first season back.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

Not sure if this is the best situation for Rourke, was kinda hoping my Bears got him. By chance for him there.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not sure if this is the best situation for Rourke, was kinda hoping my Bears got him. By chance for him there.
Hard to say. Defensive HC in Chicago. More likely to go with experience in the event of injury to Caleb but who knows. NYG, think Dabboll will try anything since he knows the team won't keep Jones for year 3 of his contract. But up to Rourke to excel at the whiteboard in meetings/film study, practice field, and pre-season to beat out DeVito and backup Lock til Jones is ready.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Hard to say. Defensive HC in Chicago. More likely to go with experience in the event of injury to Caleb but who knows. NYG, think Dabboll will try anything since he knows the team won't keep Jones for year 3 of his contract. But up to Rourke to excel at the whiteboard in meetings/film study, practice field, and pre-season to beat out DeVito and backup Lock til Jones is ready.
I think his ceiling is game day back up, not a starter. If Jones does come back in Oct then Rourke could be bumped again, if the other two stay healthy. I hope it works out for him though, always cheering for the Canadian kids.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think his ceiling is game day back up, not a starter. If Jones does come back in Oct then Rourke could be bumped again, if the other two stay healthy. I hope it works out for him though, always cheering for the Canadian kids.
Same. I think he might have gone down to the NFL a year too early. But, he also doesn't possess any jaw great physical tool. So, backup is likely his ceiling. But, had to land with the right team. JAX IMO wasn't it last year.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Same. I think he might have gone down to the NFL a year too early. But, he also doesn't possess any jaw great physical tool. So, backup is likely his ceiling. But, had to land with the right team. JAX IMO wasn't it last year.
Hopefully the Giants aren't just using him for camp and practices until Jones comes back.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hopefully the Giants aren't just using him for camp and practices until Jones comes back.
Could very well be. Camp arm. No idea when Jones is expected back. If he has Murray's timeline, it will be in Oct. But, pretty sure he won't get pre-season snaps.

Figure each of Lock who needs reps and Rourke, DeVito all get 4 quarters of action in pre-season, with Lock maybe getting more since he's been a backup the past 2 seasons needing some work.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Could very well be. Camp arm. No idea when Jones is expected back. If he has Murray's timeline, it will be in Oct. But, pretty sure he won't get pre-season snaps.

Figure each of Lock who needs reps and Rourke, DeVito all get 4 quarters of action in pre-season, with Lock maybe getting more since he's been a backup the past 2 seasons needing some work.
I should have included Pre-Season too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm guessing Rourke went with the team who gave him the most guarantees instead of evaluating the situation with the best opportunity. Lawrence was never going to get benched, and then he couldn't win the backup job regardless because C.J. Beathard is a known commodity. He walked into an impossible situation unless he blew the doors off the competition.

It's even more imperative that these guys somehow find their way onto the field in year 1. Other guys who came from the CFL and stuck in the NFL did that. And their play in Canada made it indisputable when it came to making sure they made the roster.

The Raiders probably offered him the best spot last year because they had injury-prone starter and late-round rookie backup. The Giants may work because that's a mess, too, but I'm not betting on it. The best-case scenario should be a place where the team doesn't trust their backup QB, because teams need to be convinced that they can start you if they have to. The advantage he has is that he has started on a professional level and there are certain nuances during the week that he knows to do that late-round rookie QB would raise questions on, because if they were more convinced that they would be able to prepare, and they could be prepared so early in their career, they would've invested more and drafted them higher.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Since Rourke was waived I’m guessing the giants had their draft order in priority so claimed him.
Rourke isn’t going to beat out Lock for a roster spot or jones. Both are cap committed by the giants. It’s between Rourke and DeVito. Assuming Jones isn’t ready until after the regular season begins.

This is the worst case for Rourke as he’s starting all over with a new scheme and playbook. If he was on a PS last season but returned to compete with a backup at least he’s familiar with the verbiage and scheme and some of the receivers.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Since Rourke was waived I’m guessing the giants had their draft order in priority so claimed him.
Rourke isn’t going to beat out Lock for a roster spot or jones. Both are cap committed by the giants. It’s between Rourke and DeVito. Assuming Jones isn’t ready until after the regular season begins.

This is the worst case for Rourke as he’s starting all over with a new scheme and playbook. If he was on a PS last season but returned to compete with a backup at least he’s familiar with the verbiage and scheme and some of the receivers.
The worst case was what already happened, which was signing with the wrong team. Now he’s just another camp arm, and that can be better because being a backup becomes more about who (and what playbooks) you know and he’s getting in front of more coaches, one of whom can vouch for him when someone is looking for another Josh Dobbs.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Apparently the Falcons also put in a claim for Rourke. So he's still got at least some attention around the league. You honestly rarely see waiver claims in the NFL, nevermind a couple waiver claims and with multiple bidders both times it's even rarer. It does seem like a matter of time before he finds at least the smallest glimmer of an opportunity somewhere. Clearly there's still a bit of hype around the league on him.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

He was claimed or awarded to the Giants, he didn't have say in where he was going, is how I understand it. This isn't a good situation as the mob will be coming after his meatballs if he knocks out DeVito!!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

The worst case was what already happened, which was signing with the wrong team. Now he’s just another camp arm, and that can be better because being a backup becomes more about who (and what playbooks) you know and he’s getting in front of more coaches, one of whom can vouch for him when someone is looking for another Josh Dobbs.

Guys can bounce around if they are in a system that is used in multiple teams. Is there a common thread between Doug Pederson, to BB to Dabbol to Morris in their offence?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Guys can bounce around if they are in a system that is used in multiple teams. Is there a common thread between Doug Pederson, to BB to Dabbol to Morris in their offence?
Not off-hand but I think you can find something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad