Who is this Bedard guy?

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
P Kane is absolutley more shifty and having a better skating. I dont hack down on Bedard, but people forget how good the best players really are. P Kanes stickhandling is maybe best all time.

Bedard is a shorter Matthews.
I find no really good compareable.
A shorter Semin maybe.
Kane is definitely shifter and a better playmaker he torched ohl for a reason.Kane has the best 18 year old rookie season of any player not named crosby (I do think Mcdavid would have ended 85-90 if healthy though)
I see them as the same pedigree level of player I just see bedards point totals lean a little more to goals vs Kane points leaning to assists. I’m not sold bedard beats kanes rookie totals at 18 but my predictions or expectations for bedard wherever he may play is 40-30-70. He’s as good a goal scorer as Matthews and laine but he’s got underrated playmaking to go with it.

I actually think bedard becomes a 100 point player before kane did as it took him a few seasons to reach the level everyone now knows him as

Reactions: tardigrade81

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Tavares also had better numbers than McDavid at a younger age.
Yeah, I think anybody predicting anything & using as its foundation points at the same age is kinda silly.
Its pretty clear that McDavids skating is a magnitudes better, and I think at the end of the day he will be a fair bit bigger.
Bedard will be very good I would think. Just not at CM's level (which imo is the best player who ever lived, not adjusting for generations).

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Bedard skating is extremely good. He can handle a puck as good as McDavid at top speed, he also has acceleration not seen since McDavid in junior. His edges is prob the most impressive right now.

Hes way faster then the average NHLer right now at the age of 17.

If you compare Mcdavid and Bedard's skating ability at the same age, they are alot closer then anyone thinks.
Sorry , I've seen both live , not in McDavid class as far as speed or speed with the puck

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
He can score a Manitoba goal like no other.

Having said that agree with OP. I think Gary will ensure he goes to the USA. Likely be Anaheim

Reactions: tardigrade81

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Not to say this tournament and how many points players get are not important or relevant but….keep in mind JP led this tournament in scoring one year.

Comparing Bedard and Mcdavid is tough. Different players with some different skills. McDavid is the best player to ever carry a puck with speed. Ever!!

Bedard is 17 and doing things that he shouldn't be. His scoring ability is uncanny. His shot is ridiculous. His passing is what is really starting to show when playing with good players.

Will he be an NHL great??? Stats would say so.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not to say this tournament and how many points players get are not important or relevant but….keep in mind JP led this tournament in scoring one year.

Comparing Bedard and Mcdavid is tough. Different players with some different skills. McDavid is the best player to ever carry a puck with speed. Ever!!

Bedard is 17 and doing things that he shouldn't be. His scoring ability is uncanny. His shot is ridiculous. His passing is what is really starting to show when playing with good players.

Your acting like its just this tournament, hes been lighting up kids 3 or 4 years older then him already for years, just like Mcdavid.

He won a u15 scoring title as a 13 year old in the best u15 league in western canada
14 year old same thing, scored 43 goals and 84 Points in u18
15 year old exceptional status to bad it was a covid year, cause he had just shy of 2 Points per game in the WHL
16 year old 51 goals and 100 points in 62 games, not to bad lol
17 year old is a goal per game, 64 points in 28 games, hasnt played in a month and still leading league in goals, assists and points. Soon to be smashing records for Team Canada u20.

Hes in every sense as a generational talent as your ever going to see and has been for a few years to every one paying attention

EnufAlready

Dec 31, 2021
Your acting like its just this tournament, hes been lighting up kids 3 or 4 years older then him already for years, just like Mcdavid.

He won a u15 scoring title as a 13 year old in the best u15 league in western canada
14 year old same thing, scored 43 goals and 84 Points in u18
15 year old exceptional status to bad it was a covid year, cause he had just shy of 2 Points per game in the WHL
16 year old 51 goals and 100 points in 62 games, not to bad lol
17 year old is a goal per game, 64 points in 28 games, hasnt played in a month and still leading league in goals, assists and points. Soon to be smashing records for Team Canada u20.

Hes in every sense as a generational talent as your ever going to see and has been for a few years to every one paying attention
And honestly, I wont be surprised if he ends up being all of that. The NHL is a different animal though.

But what he is doing and has done is as you say, generational.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bedard won’t be a threat to McDavid scoring title for a long time. Think of it like tennis. Ask yourself how long it’s taking to dethrone the Big 3, well Big 2 now

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Kane is definitely shifter and a better playmaker he torched ohl for a reason.Kane has the best 18 year old rookie season of any player not named crosby (I do think Mcdavid would have ended 85-90 if healthy though)
I see them as the same pedigree level of player I just see bedards point totals lean a little more to goals vs Kane points leaning to assists. I’m not sold bedard beats kanes rookie totals at 18 but my predictions or expectations for bedard wherever he may play is 40-30-70. He’s as good a goal scorer as Matthews and laine but he’s got underrated playmaking to go with it.

I actually think bedard becomes a 100 point player before kane did as it took him a few seasons to reach the level everyone now knows him as
No pressure kid.

I never has him seen play against men, so we dont know how that would fare. Not as easy to walk through such defense.
I guess Bedards stat 1st season is depending on his summertraining, but he has so little experience agaimst men.
Expectations should be around
28 - 32 -60 at highest.

Something between 40 - 60p.
A big guy as Slafkovsky doesnt easily score as in Olympics by himself in NHL.
Add slzo to that 1st OAs mostly goes to a bad team, badly constructed to lose.

Reactions: Alexandre Achutti

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Yes. Some greats had very few points in jwc. Pointscoring in junior means just as much as Daigle, Bonsignore, Svitov, Volchenkov, Brendl, Robert Nilsson. All of those very dominant in junior leagues. Robert Nilsson played against men as a junior, and fall flat immideatly. You cant have juniorstats as an indicator. Its so much more.

Bedard has a good shot that is NHL worth, but how will he aclimitise in a faster and bigger game. He is strong, but not as Crosby was.

Huberdeau had ridicolous hands as a rookie, but went back to junior. Its not as easy.

Reactions: Alexandre Achutti

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The kid isn't just destroying the tournament leaderboard, but the team's leaderboard.

This isn't like when JP lead the tourney as a 17 year old and had Aho and Laine right behind him in points. Bedard is out right taking the team on his back and dominating.

There are guys like Zellweger and Stankoven that are older and produced more than him in the last tourney. There is then NHLers like Guenther and Wright. Yet he's still double the points of the next closest guy. Would think even with easy competition that these other guys would be lighting it up as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bedard plays like a slower mcdavid. His shot is as good as mcdavids is now.
I don't believe this either. Would love to see the shot stats, velocity, how quick the shots occur. It would be hard to think that a 17yr old can put the same mustard on a shot as a full grown man. Bedard accuracy is good. I don't think those are howitzers. They type of goal McD scored against Calgary now thats a hot shot.

Of course Bedard isn't facing NHL goalies. So that the amount of times he scores on pretty substandard goalies impacts what people think about his shot. As it would with anybody shooting the lights out in Junior.

Lets see how many points he gets when not playing teams like Germany and Austria.
Indeed. In the same tournament he wasn't getting much against even the Czechs and frankly the competition looks weak overall this year.
The kid isn't just destroying the tournament leaderboard, but the team's leaderboard.

This isn't like when JP lead the tourney as a 17 year old and had Aho and Laine right behind him in points. Bedard is out right taking the team on his back and dominating.

There are guys like Zellweger and Stankoven that are older and produced more than him in the last tourney. There is then NHLers like Guenther and Wright. Yet he's still double the points of the next closest guy. Would think even with easy competition that these other guys would be lighting it up as well.
I'm not understanding this post because Bedard is part of a pretty dominating Team Canada that are having the puck almost all the time in games. So that could be said there is more puck support. This team would win the tournament in likelihood with or without Bedard. Again the competition seems pretty weak.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
After all the TSN hype jobs the past few years proclaiming so and so generational talents, gonna have to wait half way into first season to see what kind of player Bedard is.

Pretty sure he'll be a good player but how good? If he's not point per game in his first season, that'd be awfully disappointing for a 'generational talent' IMO

Reactions: subnet and Oilhawks

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I don't know if he'll be better than McDavid but I would think he'll still be a franchise player... Possibly peak at generational status once McDavid starts slowing down. Bedard is smaller which will probably slow down his points production in his rookie season but look tf out once he becomes nimble at the NHL level! His shot is ridiculous which will definitely help. Looks like Mike Bossy at times!

Hockey is going to gain considerable popularity in one of Illinois, Ohio, or California.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't know if he'll be better than McDavid but I would think he'll still be a franchise player... Possibly peak at generational status once McDavid starts slowing down. Bedard is smaller which will probably slow down his points production in his rookie season but look tf out once he becomes nimble at the NHL level! His shot is ridiculous which will definitely help. Looks like Mike Bossy at times!

Hockey is going to gain considerable popularity in one of Illinois, Ohio, or California.

Its been stated by a lot of posters but one of the things that annoys me with bedard is his penchant for trick hilite plays where none is required. Just score the goal, beat the goalie. Lots of times these moves are just adding to difficulty level for no real reason. I'm not seeing any cannon of a shot in these. I'm seeing a player pick spots much like Nuge when he's on. This is a guy scoring close in or from the circle. Not like he's lighting goalies on fire with long range howitzer. That just doesn't seem to be the package.

Theres no six judges on sidelines holding up score of 10 cards for style pts. Just score the damn goal. heh Would be funny if he just gets clocked in the NHl trying to make these shoot it through his legs dimestore moves.

This is no Mike Bossy, and this is no Connor McDavid. Bossy had arguably the best shot in the history of the game. This is some youth beating junior goaltending where almost any well placed shot is going in.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He’s going to be a superstar. When you watch greats like Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin and Mcdavid, they make the game look easy. Bedard has that same ability. By his 4th or 5th season he will pass Mcdavid as the best player in the game like Lemieux did with Gretzky.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I swear Kostin has a harder shot than Bedard. Not jk. Gets all of it and pretty consistently wires it. Again would love to see the shots tracked for velocity. All the goals I see Bedard I'm not seeing any cannon.

Maybe just me but he's a smarmy little showboat. Honestly if he was a US player people be hating him. He'll be on a US team anyhoo.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad