Bruins Centennial Who is the best TV play-by-play announcer in Bruins history?

Who is the best TV play-by-play announcer in Bruins history?

• Dave Shea - 1997-2004

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dale Arnold - 1996-2007

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Fred Cusick - 1966, 1971-1997

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Don Earle - 1967-1971

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Jack Edwards - 2005 -

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Pearson was amazing at calling what he saw in real time and being 100% accurate though. Fred would say something like that may have been tipped, and Johnny would say that was tipped first off the skate of O'Reilly, it then hit Parks shin pad, bounced up high, hit off Cashman's right arm and bounced down, and finally clipped the d-man's stick on the way through before beating the goalie. And then they'd show the slow motion replay and it was spot on. Every time. lol
Too funny. When visiting Boston in that era I was at a nightclub where this guy did an uncanny imitation of Peirson, something like what you said, but included bouncing off the space shuttle.
"I'll tell ya Fred, that Rick Middleton, just a fine hockey player..."

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The time in my life where I listened to Cusick call a game live were the years after he probably should have retired. Had certainly lost his fastball (and the Bruins sucked in his final years which didn’t make it any easier for him to close it out well).

But from watching vintage highlights and tuning in to “Fan Attic” on NESN some time ago, you can hear how well he called the game. Kept up with play, sounded genuinely into the game, and sounded like a true New Englander, which he of course was.

He easily gets this title when compared to the competition. Edwards is “unique” and Dale Arnold is okay just for the nostalgia. But Cusick is far superior to all of them

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
This is like voting for best bruins defenseman ever, except Bourque, Park, and Shore are Mike Milbury, Alan Pedersen, and Hall Gill.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I'm surprised Dale got 0 votes so far. I liked when he did the home games back like 20+ years ago and as a kid couldn't stand the away games with Dave Shea on FX or whatever it was.

Reactions: Gordoff

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I really do like Jack, but it’s Cusick for me, probably because I grew up with him. I remember the night they had him in the booth as a guest a year or two after he left and they asked him if he wanted to do the call for a minute and he said he didn’t know all the names, and then he proceeded to do it like he didn’t miss a beat.

Reactions: Gordoff

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I'm surprised Dale got 0 votes so far. I liked when he did the home games back like 20+ years ago and as a kid couldn't stand the away games with Dave Shea on FX or whatever it was.
Ned Flanders single handedly sapped out my desire to watch Boston Bruins games.

You've got to do some serious work to make hockey sound boring.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m no Dale Arnold “fan” but I’m always surprised so many consider his call “boring”. I didn’t think he was that bland.

Sort of going off of what I said about the end of Cusick’s tenure, Dale’s time at the mic covered about a decade where objectively very little excitement
occurred in Bruins world. The top of the top is winning a round against Carolina in 1999. I mean that was great…but that being the pinnacle of the era says a lot.

I have to think that’s at least part of the issue with overall impressions of his call.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
This, ^^^^. "Carbonneau says I concede" is one of my favorite calls ever.
Funny, Fred would say "deflected wide" but Jack always says "intentionally wide" no matter if they missed the net on purpose (to make it a pass) or if they simply missed the mark. They both seemed to make it sound like covering up for taking a wide shot etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad