Bruins Centennial Who is the best TV play-by-play announcer in Bruins history?

Who is the best TV play-by-play announcer in Bruins history?

• Dave Shea - 1997-2004

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dale Arnold - 1996-2007

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Fred Cusick - 1966, 1971-1997

Votes: 61 83.6%
  • Don Earle - 1967-1971

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Jack Edwards - 2005 -

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I know this is a generational thing and I love Jack.

For us boomers this night in 1988 was as good as winning the Cup and you can hear it in Fred's call.

Turk: "Roy needs to stay on his feet."

Also:
1689164210283.png

shoulders7

Jan 28, 2009
Peabody
I’m 47 years old, so I just missed Bobby Orr, but my oldest memories of the bruins are paired with Fred Cusick’s voice. I loved listening to him, and he was excellent. He gets my vote The uniforms of the 80’s will always be my favorites as well.

Jack was very good 10 years ago, but has slipped which isn’t surprising. I like Dale and he seems like a fantastic person, but was much better in studio to me. Dave Shea isn’t worth discussing, seems to be universally agreed upon here that he was terrible.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m 47 years old, so I just missed Bobby Orr, but my oldest memories of the bruins are paired with Fred Cusick’s voice. I loved listening to him, and he was excellent. He gets my vote The uniforms of the 80’s will always be my favorites as well.

Jack was very good 10 years ago, but has slipped which isn’t surprising. I like Dale and he seems like a fantastic person, but was much better in studio to me. Dave Shea isn’t worth discussing, seems to be universally agreed upon here that he was terrible.

Sad thing about Cusick was he stayed too long. In his last season he called Bourque Orr on several occasions.

Reactions: Number8

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Dale wasn't bad as a PBP guy, he was still much better than the generic RSN announcers that half the league prop out there. He just had to follow a legend in Cusick and preceded a one in a million character in Jack, so by comparison his tenure was forgettable and appears bland.

Shea was just the worst though.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This sums it up for me. I might get roasted for this, but the thing about Cusick that bothered me was being teamed up with Johnny Pearson. Johnny knew the game so well, but to me he was always a bit of a downer.
Pearson was amazing at calling what he saw in real time and being 100% accurate though. Fred would say something like that may have been tipped, and Johnny would say that was tipped first off the skate of O'Reilly, it then hit Parks shin pad, bounced up high, hit off Cashman's right arm and bounced down, and finally clipped the d-man's stick on the way through before beating the goalie. And then they'd show the slow motion replay and it was spot on. Every time. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad