TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dutchy was Canada’s best sports anchor.

Mike Johnson said that when you spoke with him, he made you feel like you were the most important person in the room.

This account is one of many, showing how the man touched so many lives:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His regular co-hosts over the years, Jennifer Hedger, James Duthie and Rod Smith doing a Dutchy tribute show right now on TSN.

Reactions: jaffy27

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
BGL was in rare form!

I agree with him in some fashion. MSL has been overall unfair with X-Man. Just let him be the physical machine that he should be.

That's some recycled stuff from earlier in the year.
It's not relevant anymore. Xhekaj stopped taking bad penalties after his AHL stint.
I hate it when those two are fake arguing just for show.
They think it's good radio/podcast.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nice recap of Dutchy’s career and what he meant to a whole lot of people:

Just watched that 20 min. tribute show on TSN, Hedger was glassy-eyed throughout, while Duthie and Smith struggled to maintain their composure. At one point, Duthie lost it.

They’re doing tonight’s sportscast with only one anchor and an empty chair next to him to his left — where Dutch sat over so many years.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Kimota

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here’s the tribute that Dutchy’s SportsCenter co-hosts did for him earlier on TSN.

I wondered why there had been so many co-hosts and got my answer when Duthie was interviewed on 690 today. He said that after doing Sports Desk (now Sports Center) for two years, he was spent. Called the job a grind and yet Dutchy lasted 30 years doing it as anchor.

Duthie jumped at the first opportunity to do something else at the network. Dutchy instead could not get enough, he marveled constantly about how lucky he was to have the job and how happy it made him.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Nice recap of Dutchy’s career and what he meant to a whole lot of people:

Just watched that 20 min. tribute show on TSN, Hedger was glassy-eyed throughout, while Duthie and Smith struggled to maintain their composure. At one point, Duthie lost it.

They’re doing tonight’s sportscast with only one anchor and an empty chair next to him to his left — where Dutch sat over so many years.

I cannot believe it. I cannot stand these sudden deaths. You feel so powerless and there's no logic to it. Dutchie was a freaking Legend and I have never seen someone that EVERYBODY liked but he managed to pull it off.

RIP

Reactions: Runner77

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Aside from Melnick that entire station is unbearable which, I suspect, was Bell Media's plan all along. When you get rid of anyone making real money and replace them with talentless idiots this is what you get. And now, they don't even bother sending their radio play-by-play team to road games because they know these people aren't credible. They probably don't even make enough to buy themselves suits. Aside from Melnick that entire radio station is an amateur clown show. I almost never listen live anymore. At most I will listen to archived segments with specific guests, most of whom are on Melnick's show anyway.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Aside from Melnick that entire station is unbearable which, I suspect, was Bell Media's plan all along. When you get rid of anyone making real money and replace them with talentless idiots this is what you get. And now, they don't even bother sending their radio play-by-play team to road games because they know these people aren't credible. They probably don't even make enough to buy themselves suits. Aside from Melnick that entire radio station is an amateur clown show. I almost never listen live anymore. At most I will listen to archived segments with specific guests, most of whom are on Melnick's show anyway.
true, but Mitch M has the dumb music, I don't care about his likes in music
690 TSN is sports, not a music station

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
anyone else find Gallo to be an insufferable, smarmy, idiot?
From his asinine sign-off about not opening cans of beans
you can't finish to the way he's this confrontational know-it all.
it's unlistenable radio

short man syndrome
My guy, I never listen to tsn 690 because they're f***ing clowns. Even with heart radio, I will stream tsn 1200 because they're far superior to whatever f***tard they put out. It's like they know people will listen, so they choose some annoying ass idiot. Even when I listen to a clip I can hear some out of breath bitch breathing into the mic, or typing on a keyboard and just say f*** it and close it. I'll wait for someone here to post the quote if there's anything interesting.

The sick podcast is OK at times, you learn somethings, but I'm not sure if it's because he's Italian, French, or a combination of both, but Marinaro really has no concept, or doesn't care and will just talk over his guests, so you hear both of them talking, but nothing makes sense.

Basu-Godin podcast is the best thing we as hab fans have and Basu is still nervous, or awkward, or something when it comes to talking on any media it seems, so even that is annoying at times.

How does one of the biggest fanbases in the NHL have shit for segments to talk about the Habs? At least English radio, but it seems like people don't even like the French radio.

I find even the youtubers who try and talk about things f***ing suck, too..

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Ouch... even the dying expos had Dave van Horne out on the road to do pbp... although it was for internet only if I recall correctly.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Why not listen to 98.5 for the play-by-play? McGuire and Dubé are terrific.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
anyone else find Gallo to be an insufferable, smarmy, idiot?
From his asinine sign-off about not opening cans of beans
you can't finish to the way he's this confrontational know-it all.
it's unlistenable radio

short man syndrome
Don’t forget his voice! Should be on his cons list.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Why not listen to 98.5 for the play-by-play? McGuire and Dubé are terrific.
Generally speaking I watch the games on TV. I only revert to radio when I'm in the car (I have Sirius XM so I get everything)

true, but Mitch M has the dumb music, I don't care about his likes in music
690 TSN is sports, not a music station
True, but music promotion is his side hustle and he has been permitted by the powers-that-be to shill for himself.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
My guy, I never listen to tsn 690 because they're f***ing clowns. Even with heart radio, I will stream tsn 1200 because they're far superior to whatever f***tard they put out. It's like they know people will listen, so they choose some annoying ass idiot. Even when I listen to a clip I can hear some out of breath bitch breathing into the mic, or typing on a keyboard and just say f*** it and close it. I'll wait for someone here to post the quote if there's anything interesting.

The sick podcast is OK at times, you learn somethings, but I'm not sure if it's because he's Italian, French, or a combination of both, but Marinaro really has no concept, or doesn't care and will just talk over his guests, so you hear both of them talking, but nothing makes sense.

Basu-Godin podcast is the best thing we as hab fans have and Basu is still nervous, or awkward, or something when it comes to talking on any media it seems, so even that is annoying at times.

How does one of the biggest fanbases in the NHL have shit for segments to talk about the Habs? At least English radio, but it seems like people don't even like the French radio.

I find even the youtubers who try and talk about things f***ing suck, too..
I'm sorry but living in Ottawa, I can say that these guys are as insufferable then the 690 ones. They barely produce original content too with most of the airtime being US base radio. I'm 100% certain that by Sept it will fold.

Last edited:

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Tuned in to Habs' Lunch last week? Ayoye...they were talking about retiring numbers and making fun of Toe Blake. Just brutal, it was clear neither Campbell or Gallo knew his incredible significance to the Habs' history and his #6 should have been retired based on the mass retirements in the Gainey GM era.

In contrast, tuned in to Mario Langlois on 98.5 a couple of times late. He had a great interview with Daniel Brière last week. Another night he had Maxim Lapierre and Guillaume Latendresse on together which was fun and interesting.

Reactions: Toene and Runner77

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Tuned in to Habs' Lunch last week? Ayoye...they were talking about retiring numbers and making fun of Toe Blake. Just brutal, it was clear neither Campbell or Gallo knew his incredible significance to the Habs' history and his #6 should have been retired based on the mass retirements in the Gainey GM era.

In contrast, tuned in to Mario Langlois on 98.5 a couple of times late. He had a great interview with Daniel Brière last week. Another night he had Maxim Lapierre and Guillaume Latendresse on together which was fun and interesting.
if they shut down 690 I would not be surprised.
no sports content, just clowns with Jimmy G

Reactions: CharleyHorse

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
if they shut down 690 I would not be surprised.
no sports content, just clowns with Jimmy G
The only thing that keeps 690 open is the "guest" analyst. Marc Denis, Aaron Ward and the like. That these out and yeah... the is community radio level shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad