HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wish we been in on Hertl. He'd fit in our top 6 nicely. Center with size, good on faceoffs, averages 60 points and 25 goals. Sharks retained. Not many slots between Vegas first and Sharks 2nd. It was steal of trade.

Reactions: Destopcorner

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'll try with Sam Reinhart if he make free agency.

Reinhart/Dach/Slaf please please yes
Caufield/Suzuki/ hope Heineman or young like kakko via trade
Roy/Monahan signed 2 years/Newhook
Armia/not evans trades in summer/Anderson

Matheson/Ghule
Struble/Savard
Xhekaj/Mailloux
Harris

Hutson/Reinbacher start in Laval and trade Savard deadline if he's rdy,hutson too.
Where's Gallagher? traded to Chicago for 2 first rnd pick,winnipeg and calgary one + a young def
1709988321666.gif

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We have a ridiculous amount of draft capital moving forward.

Either this summer or next.....what do you guys think we could acquire if we offered a team...

The following 2025 picks....Habs 1st, Habs 2nd, Habs 3rd and Habs 4th?

We would still have a 1st, 2nd, 2 x 3rds and a 4th in '25

Would that land us Crosby this summer? Would you do it, if he signed an extension with us?

Looking at the trades that just happened, I see no reason why we are not going to be big players in the next couple of years on the trade front.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Either this summer or next.....what do you guys think we could acquire if we offered a team...

Would that land us Crosby this summer? Would you do it, if he signed an extension with us?

Looking at the trades that just happened, I see no reason why we are not going to be big players in the next couple of years on the trade front.

If Crosby wants to come to Montreal, he'll do it as a free agent.. and no, we wouldn't do it because he's an older player, those assets would go for an age appropriate forward.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
If Crosby wants to come to Montreal, he'll do it as a free agent.. and no, we wouldn't do it because he's an older player, those assets would go for an age appropriate forward.
This summer, I'd make that trade for Crosby. We could get him for 3-4 years before retirement, assuming he plays his 40 year old season.

If he hovers around PPG or just under. That is worth it IMO.

He would still be our best player right now....and probably next year as well.

Reactions: Destopcorner

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Wish we been in on Hertl. He'd fit in our top 6 nicely. Center with size, good on faceoffs, averages 60 points and 25 goals. Sharks retained. Not many slots between Vegas first and Sharks 2nd. It was steal of trade.
Injury concerns, overpaid, and VGK paid an unprotected 1st, thanks but no thanks ;)

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I’m all for going for Crosby this summer but we don’t control anything. If he is interested and we don’t need to part with a major piece, that’s great.

A deal ala Guentzel would interest me. We definitely have the picks and prospects pool to make it happen.

Crosby for Habs 2025 (top2 protected), Habs 2025 2nd, Mesar and Barron ?? Add Dvorak as the cap dump? I wouldn’t pay more than that.

And what the extension would look like? 3 years at 7,85M$? 2 years at 9M$?

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well, you read absolutely nothing from the beginning and what you would do in the off season/next trade deadline to have a better team??If you want to waste Gallagher on the 4 line next 3 seasons at 6.5m fine and good luck to have him happy with the media and fans.He's done. My point was:

Reinhart/Dach/Slaf
Caufield/Suzuki/young with size via trade or Heineman if ready
Roy/Monahan/Newhook perfect third line
Armia/Dvorak if not traded/Anderson Pinard around

it's a playoff team next year but you loose 2 late 1 rnd pick and a young D barron or Harris maybe more

P.S What would you do with the 2 late first rnd pick? You draft? trade but who you think we can have ? Gallagher stay for you and what? who play in your top 4 lines? trades? We're on a different rebuild,hughes trade late first and second for players. Was just my opinion but if you think a stud like Reinhart at 28 will drop at 30 geez..he's not Gallagher. And btw i'm a pro tanker but they won't do it another 2-3 years and Gallagher must be out as soon as possible. So do your own trade and lines i will be happy to disagree with yours ;)
Two 2x 1st and a Barron or Harris is a lot of value, a lot value that should be used to acquire players or move down for a better pick or at worst pick players that will be assets. If you need to clear 6M$+ You can move Savard and Dvorak for actual value even if it is only future considerations… Also the fact that I wouldn’t pay 2x1st + a prospect to move Gallagher doesn’t mean he has to play out is contract in Montreal or that want to tank more, It is because it is bad asset management since it doesn’t improve the team short or long term. it only clear some cap space that we probably don’t even need because the odd of landing Reinhart are pretty slim and there would be more efficient way to do it.

Reinhart will sign a 7y+ deal and will have declined before it is over, not saying he won’t improve the team but you are definitely buying high and he isn’t keeping this pace for 7 years.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

No and frankly, I don't think Crosby waives his movement clause to go to an equally bad team.

If the Habs and Crosby match up, it’ll be happy to him signing as a free agent.

Right now, where the Habs are and where Crosby is, are diametrically opposed.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Been saying this for awhile, but next trade deadline and the offseason following that, is really the inflection point for Hughes.

A lot of money freeing up and they’ll be entering the last year of Price LTIR shenanigans.

Everything happening now, is prepping for that time.
I think if you're both optimistic and realistic, the team could be a bubble team next season, finish maybe around 90 points.

But the season after that, playoffs should be the expectation. And yeah, that means next season and the following offseason is indeed the inflection point. Money freeing up from all the UFAs, Gallagher buyout most likely, young players taking steps and bigger roles.

Next season should see steady improvement assuming there's no catastrophic injuries, and young guys continuing to keep maturing and developing (looking at especially guys like Reinbacher, Hutson and the 1st pick this summer), but everything should be aimed towards playoffs for the 25-26 season.

Matheson is probably the most interesting decision, and could be an exception to that. I think trading him before next year's TDL would be smart, and targeting a promising young player (not picks) should be the priority there.

Reactions: 417

therocket9

Sep 15, 2021
Hertl has had 3 knee surgeries he is toast.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Way too many Ds, seems pretty sure at least one is traded. The issue is the most likely ones to be traded are not likely to bring back much. Strubble Harris are likely bottom pair. I don t think they want to trade one of the two veterans Matheson and Savard in the offseason but who knows ?

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Terrible? Reinhart in, Gallagher out for 2 first in the 20+, you worry about Calgary pick traded? no we will get Florida one just look at all conditions. Hoffman was a different thing,San jose did the right thing about Karlsson and Pittsburg stupid and SJ, they do a long rebuild,not us.Everyone cry about rebuild and they want it fast so we have the opportunity to do it and get rid of Gallagher that's the cost for sure and if Reinhart cost nothing that's a no brainer. If you want a fast rebuild, 2 first in the 20+ for Gally it's the right thing to do.Personally i won't do it, i really wanted a real rebuild 4-5years+

Even if the Habs would throw 10M AAV at Reinhart this summer, they wouldn’t need to dilapidate 3 quality assets to get rid of Gallagher in 2024; they not only already have 20M in cap space, but their expiring 2024 UFAs also amount to about 10M (Armia, Dvorak, Savard).

The 3 aforementioned assets would be much better leverage in obtaining a top-9 forward and a top-4 RHD.

Gallagher can be an overpaid 4th liner until he either breaks down; is traded with retention (or even bought out) when 1-2 years left on his contract.

Lastly, the 2025 UFA crop is very enticing, Habs should keep their cap space for then instead of going all in on Reinhart.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I love this thread and rarely if ever propose anything.
The last two seasons have shown me that Hughes pulls stuff out of his hat no one predicted.
We kinda all predicted Allen would be traded for a 2nd or a 3rd right? :P

I can predict he'll get another reclamation project for WPG 1st and a 2nd, and that will just end up being another BS trade. The guy is just another low hanging fruit scavenger. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal

If there’s a possibility of fetching Crosby next offseason, I’d enquire for sure!

Besides Draisailt, I don’t see a better candidate to help push the Habs into Cup contention. And prying Crosby from Kyle Dumbass’ team would be hilarious.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Lastly, the 2025 UFA crop is very enticing, Habs should keep their cap space for then instead of going all in on Reinhart.
Agreed. That's the right time to strike. 2025 summer is also when Gallagher should be bought out.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Way too many Ds, seems pretty sure at least one is traded. The issue is the most likely ones to be traded are not likely to bring back much. Strubble Harris are likely bottom pair. I don t think they want to trade one of the two veterans Matheson and Savard in the offseason but who knows ?
I can see the D situation lasting another year. Right now we are sitting at 8 NHL D including Barron. That's a pretty normal amount to need for an NHL season. Now there's certainly young guys who will be pushing for spots, but they all probably benefit by being in the AHL next year. So the pressure won't be that intense on Hughes to make a move and clear a roster spot over the summer.

That said I trading a D is certainly possible if it's part of a hokey trade where we are going after a top-6 F and need to give up something of value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad