HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Sookind

Aug 19, 2020
I'll try with Sam Reinhart if he make free agency.

Reinhart/Dach/Slaf please please yes
Caufield/Suzuki/ hope Heineman or young like kakko via trade
Roy/Monahan signed 2 years/Newhook
Armia/not evans trades in summer/Anderson

Matheson/Ghule
Struble/Savard
Xhekaj/Mailloux
Harris

Hutson/Reinbacher start in Laval and trade Savard deadline if he's rdy,hutson too.
Where's Gallagher? traded to Chicago for 2 first rnd pick,winnipeg and calgary one + a young def

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Pez, Evans & Kovacevic are all entering the final year of their contracts next year and will be UFAs.

So between this off-season and next TDL, they will most likely all be gone.

I think out of all of them, I could see them extend Evans and maybe Pez.

Reactions: 417 and Vachon23

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Pez, Evans & Kovacevic are all entering the final year of their contracts next year and will be UFAs.

I would keep Savard if he's welling to stay for a lot less (caphit) and playing on the 3rd pair.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
I'll try with Sam Reinhart if he make free agency.

Reinhart/Dach/Slaf please please yes
Caufield/Suzuki/ hope Heineman or young like kakko via trade
Roy/Monahan signed 2 years/Newhook
Armia/not evans trades in summer/Anderson

Matheson/Ghule
Struble/Savard
Xhekaj/Mailloux
Harris

Hutson/Reinbacher start in Laval and trade Savard deadline if he's rdy,hutson too.
Where's Gallagher? traded to Chicago for 2 first rnd pick,winnipeg and calgary one + a young def

That would be terrible asset management, especially with Calgary rebuilding on the fly - and rumored to consider selling Markstrom this summer.

I concur that Gallagher should not be part of the contending roster, but I don’t see how Hughes will actually spend significant asset to get rid of him; we’re talking about the man who successfully traded Mike Hoffman without retention after all!

Reactions: calder candidate

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Weird thought.

Vegas will have roughly 14 mil in cap space to with at 6-9 roster spots to fill and Hanifin, Martinez, Carrier, Marchessault, Mantha and Stephenson as UFAs. They have some tough choices. If Marchessault makes it to Free Agency, does Montreal consider throwing a big AAV, short term contract at him. Say something like 8.5 mil x 2 or 3 yrs?

He's 33 and not a long term solution, but he's still really good and the kind of guy who has the experience you want young guys to learn from. He's also a QC native and probably the closest active NHL player to MSL in terms of professional experience. He'd help stabilize the forward group while Montreal keeps trade assets available for a big swing.
Don’t think he would want to come. He hates the media circus.

Sookind

Aug 19, 2020
That would be terrible asset management, especially with Calgary rebuilding on the fly - and rumored to consider selling Markstrom this summer.

I concur that Gallagher should not be part of the contending roster, but I don’t see how Hughes will actually spend significant asset to get rid of him; we’re talking about the man who successfully traded Mike Hoffman without retention after all!

Terrible? Reinhart in, Gallagher out for 2 first in the 20+, you worry about Calgary pick traded? no we will get Florida one just look at all conditions. Hoffman was a different thing,San jose did the right thing about Karlsson and Pittsburg stupid and SJ, they do a long rebuild,not us.Everyone cry about rebuild and they want it fast so we have the opportunity to do it and get rid of Gallagher that's the cost for sure and if Reinhart cost nothing that's a no brainer. If you want a fast rebuild, 2 first in the 20+ for Gally it's the right thing to do.Personally i won't do it, i really wanted a real rebuild 4-5years+

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Kent's going to make a big time splash at the draft
Crosby is mad and I'm starting to think Pittsburgh could implode this summer. Sid always said he'd like to play here and we have the quantity of prospects and picks Pinguins will look for rebuilding properly. What a center line we'd have...

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
The problem is... all those players are going to be 30, or older.

Marchessault - Small, but fiesty player. Not someone you want for more than 3 years. Maybe only 2.

Tervaianen - skilled, going to be 30 as well and soft.

Guentzel - going to be 30, probably has no interest to come to Montreal, or even Canada.

Lindholm - too much disappointment lately to give him a big contract.
I agree, any one of those would only be a temporary band aid save for Guentzel who like you said likely won't come here.

First option would be to trade our extra 1sts/2nds/prospect for a solid top 6er but gotta have a back up plan you know.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Terrible? Reinhart in, Gallagher out for 2 first in the 20+, you worry about Calgary pick traded? no we will get Florida one just look at all conditions. Hoffman was a different thing,San jose did the right thing about Karlsson and Pittsburg stupid and SJ, they do a long rebuild,not us.Everyone cry about rebuild and they want it fast so we have the opportunity to do it and get rid of Gallagher that's the cost for sure and if Reinhart cost nothing that's a no brainer. If you want a fast rebuild, 2 first in the 20+ for Gally it's the right thing to do.Personally i won't do it, i really wanted a real rebuild 4-5years+
Getting rid of Gallagher doesn’t do anything to speed up the rebuild… Not even sure we need the cap space… Trading 2 1st+ to get rid of a player that can play in the bottom 6 or maybe go on LTIR is terrible asset management, better off to trading him with 50% retain it would be a lot less costly, Gallagher has a pretty good reputation even if he lost a step.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and ML16

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
As long as Newhook is in our top 6, we ain't winning shit!

If Slaf - Suzy - CC Is our 1st line, and Roy - Newhook - Armia is our 3rd line, then we need two wingers to play on the 2nd with Dach.

Build a 2nd line, decide which defenders to keep and which to trade for said 2nd line wingers.

Sign Monahan for Center depth and go from there.

Trade the Winnipeg pick with your 1st rounder to move up to 4-5 spot and draft Demidov, Lindstrom or Pareck.

At the TDL trade the vets with expiring contracts for the best you can get and in July 2025 sign a couple key players and start your contention window for the next 5 to 6 years!

Sookind

Aug 19, 2020
Getting rid of Gallagher doesn’t do anything to speed up the rebuild… Not even sure we need the cap space… Trading 2 1st+ to get rid of a player that can play in the bottom 6 or maybe go on LTIR is terrible asset management, better off to trading him with 50% retain it would be a lot less costly, Gallagher has a pretty good reputation even if he lost a step.
Read carefully if you can, i know it's not easy for somes. 2 first in 20+ ( not ours ) that's the cost to get rid of him if you want to sign Reinhart + another move for a top young unproved top 6 to play with Caufield and Suzuki if Heineman can't make it with Monahan on the roster yeah it speed the rebuild. Call it terrible if you want but his contract end in 2026-27

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Read carefully if you can, i know it's not easy for somes. 2 first in 20+ ( not ours ) that's the cost to get rid of him if you want to sign Reinhart + another move for a top young unproved top 6 to play with Caufield and Suzuki if Heineman can't make it with Monahan on the roster yeah it speed the rebuild. Call it terrible if you want but his contract end in 2026-27
There is NO need to pay to get rid of Gallagher. They can buy him out in a few years and by the end of next season he will be the only bad contract anyway.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Paying 2x1st (regardless where they are) to get rid of a player that is overpaid is not good asset management, if you need to make cap space for Reinhardt that there probably a combination of Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Evans, Anderson that could be move for a lot less than 2x1st also Gallagher might end up on LTIR so 2x 1st is very expensive… also Reinhart probably isn’t considering MTL and even if he was, he 28yo a top UFA that will be a big AAV for 7 year he will end up being overpaid in 2-4 years which will hurt us in the middle or shorten our cup window…

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Guhle for Mercer or Zegras, who says no?

Montreal, easily. Guhle is a 22yo capable of contributing on either side of a top pairing despite playing in less than 100 games so far in his career. He’s yet to get PP time despite showing upside there. This is a guy we sign to a max length contract and build around.

Mercer is barely going to crack 40pts in his third full season and he’s better suited to the wing.

Zegras has been talked about enough.

Trade the magic beans (Struble, Barron, Mailloux, Xhekaj, etc.), not the golden goose.

Sookind

Aug 19, 2020
There is NO need to pay to get rid of Gallagher. They can buy him out in a few years and by the end of next season he will be the only bad contract anyway.
Guys just simply look at the main proposal, Reinhart and Monahan in + young top 6 in and gallagher + 2 first in the 20+ out.They will not buy him out,not Hughes style. It cost a first to get monahan out with only 1 year left,imagine Gallagher with 3 years and the way he play now.

Last edited:

Sookind

Aug 19, 2020
Paying 2x1st (regardless where they are) to get rid of a player that is overpaid is not good asset management, if you need to make cap space for Reinhardt that there probably a combination of Savard, Armia, Dvorak, Evans, Anderson that could be move for a lot less than 2x1st also Gallagher might end up on LTIR so 2x 1st is very expensive… also Reinhart probably isn’t considering MTL and even if he was, he 28yo a top UFA that will be a big AAV for 7 year he will end up being overpaid in 2-4 years which will hurt us in the middle or shorten our cup window…
Yeah he's 28 and will be overpaid when he hit 30? you're serious? But you just can't understand the main proposal, Reinhart/monahan + young unproven top 6 for gallagher + 2 first rnd pick in the 20+, you're right it's terrible. Just do your own lines for next seasons here and/if you want to tank next 2 seasons

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yeah he's 28 and will be overpaid when he hit 30? you're serious? But you just can't understand the main proposal, Reinhart/monahan + young unproven top 6 for gallagher + 2 first rnd pick in the 20+, you're right it's terrible. Just do your own lines for next seasons here and/if you want to tank next 2 seasons
How is trading 2 x 1st to get rid of Gallagher helping to land Reinhart or Monahan those move aren’t related… also most fw peak around 26-28yo, and decline in there 30´s not sure why Reinhart would be one of the few exceptions if you sign him till 35yo he will decline, how many UFA have sign long term deal that being a great until the end of the contract? If your paying Reinhart over 8m$ it is sure that he will be over paid at some point. Gallagher can waste away in the 4th line or LTIR if the price to get rid of him is 2x1st. Those 2 1st are a lot more valuable to our rebuild than getting rid of Gallagher, Also that Calgary pick which will likely be Florida, is likely to be high, FLA is a good team but they have a few UFA guy’s having career years if they lose a few guy it might make that puck better than expected

Sookind

Aug 19, 2020
How is trading 2 x 1st to get rid of Gallagher helping to land Reinhart or Monahan those move aren’t related… also most fw peak around 26-28yo, and decline in there 30´s not sure why Reinhart would be one of the few exceptions if you sign him till 35yo he will decline, how many UFA have sign long term deal that being a great until the end of the contract? If your paying Reinhart over 8m$ it is sure that he will be over paid at some point. Gallagher can waste away in the 4th line or LTIR if the price to get rid of him is 2x1st. Those 2 1st are a lot more valuable to our rebuild than getting rid of Gallagher, Also that Calgary pick which will likely be Florida, is likely to be high, FLA is a good team but they have a few UFA guy’s having career years if they lose a few guy it might make that puck better than expected
Well, you read absolutely nothing from the beginning and what you would do in the off season/next trade deadline to have a better team??If you want to waste Gallagher on the 4 line next 3 seasons at 6.5m fine and good luck to have him happy with the media and fans.He's done. My point was:

Reinhart/Dach/Slaf
Caufield/Suzuki/young with size via trade or Heineman if ready
Roy/Monahan/Newhook perfect third line
Armia/Dvorak if not traded/Anderson Pinard around

it's a playoff team next year but you loose 2 late 1 rnd pick and a young D barron or Harris maybe more

P.S What would you do with the 2 late first rnd pick? You draft? trade but who you think we can have ? Gallagher stay for you and what? who play in your top 4 lines? trades? We're on a different rebuild,hughes trade late first and second for players. Was just my opinion but if you think a stud like Reinhart at 28 will drop at 30 geez..he's not Gallagher. And btw i'm a pro tanker but they won't do it another 2-3 years and Gallagher must be out as soon as possible. So do your own trade and lines i will be happy to disagree with yours ;)

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Been saying this for awhile, but next trade deadline and the offseason following that, is really the inflection point for Hughes.

A lot of money freeing up and they’ll be entering the last year of Price LTIR shenanigans.

Everything happening now, is prepping for that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad