Post-Game Talk: Trade deadline talk

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
Calgary-will have Berra and Ramo in camp most likely.

Phoenix-can't see Smith going anywhere.

Florida-Markstrom will be their guy.

Buffalo-just traded for Hackett.

New Jersey could be an option given Lou and DL's friendship and NJ's need.

Add Philly, who was in on the Ben Bishop trade and they have a little bit of a connection with LA and DL and half of the staff

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Add Philly, who was in on the Ben Bishop trade and they have a little bit of a connection with LA and DL and half of the staff

Possible, if they buy out Bryz they may take a run at Loungo/Miller...seems to be there style.

My best guess is New Jersey or Philly at the draft....but I am not expecting huge returns.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Philly has to qualify Mason at 3.2 in order to keep his rights so I think they're going to buyout Bryz and go with a cheaper tandem. Their D is still avg. at best.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
LoL at everyone saying Columbus got robbed. Let's see what Gaborik does and what Brassard does in NYR. 1G and 2A tonight already, kid is a stud and needed a change of situations.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
The Wild didn't trade any of their top prospects like Granlund, Dumba, Coyle, Zucker, Brodin etc. so I think they did fine. Kuemper has outplayed Hackett and they prefer Granlund to Larsson. They still have one of the best prospect pools...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Look how much money the Wild put into this season, they had to go for it. I don't think they'll regret that deal at all. Just because you don't win a Cup after making a deal like that doesn't mean you regret it. They needed the boost this season and next, they are a legit team now.

I think there comes a point where you owe it to the fans to make a push. I think Dumbo up in Edmonton owed the fans that too but he traded for Smithson as a deadline day move. I have mixed feelings about DL at times but I'm glad he ain't that guy.

The key for the GM though is knowing when to make the move. There were plenty of people around here that wanted the button pushed 3 years ago, which was way too soon.

How many were screaming at Lombardi about not giving Gaborik the 5-year deal? Patience paid dividends for Lombardi and the Kings. I am still a believer in having a team that will have as many kicks at the can as possible.

With the new salary cap, players that are on ELCs and can contribute will be valuable commodities for several years. Overall, I'm not a fan of the go for it mentality that maybe only gives you a chance for one or two seasons.

Minnesota is in a precarious spot. They have some guys with playoff experience, but they don't have it as a team. I suppose I like the way the Kings have grown as a team and the approach much better than what Minnesota has done.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
The Wild didn't trade any of their top prospects like Granlund, Dumba, Coyle, Zucker, Brodin etc. so I think they did fine. Kuemper has outplayed Hackett and they prefer Granlund to Larsson. They still have one of the best prospect pools...

Still bad asset management. Prospects and picks are huge assets. Giving away too may just because you have a wealth of them is just silly. That's like paying 50k for a 40 thousand dollar vehicle just because you have a healthy bank account.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Minnesota is in a precarious spot. They have some guys with playoff experience, but they don't have it as a team. I suppose I like the way the Kings have grown as a team and the approach much better than what Minnesota has done.

I tend to agree with you ... and there was a poster JT on the LGK boards that years back posted a very interesting analysis of the history of CUP Winning teams and their make-up (how the team was built) and with rare exceptions over the years the teams that either won and/or competed for the Cup time and time again (Red Wings, Devils, Avalanche, etc.) came from teams with HOME GROWN talent, players the team drafted and develop and grew as a core together. Teams that relied heavily on mercenary UFA's or excessive trades to build a squad rarely won the cup or competed regularly for it. I think he listed the requirement at something like a minimum of 7 or maybe 9 Home-Grown kids drafted/developed that were needed to push a team into that upper echelon of Yearly Repeat Cup Contenders ... Well the Kings sit at TWELVE kids from within (Brown, Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Voynov, Bernier, Clifford, King, Lewis, Nolan, Martinez, Muzzin) and potentially have even MORE with Toffoli, Vey, Pearson, Forbort and others waiting in the wings to replace guys we might lose to UFA, trades or injuries. We've tasted our FIRST CUP, and the Hockey Gods willing we should see it again, maybe more than once, over the next decade provided this team can continue with it's direction from Management and support from Ownership.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I tend to agree with you ... and there was a poster JT on the LGK boards that years back posted a very interesting analysis of the history of CUP Winning teams and their make-up (how the team was built) and with rare exceptions over the years the teams that either won and/or competed for the Cup time and time again (Red Wings, Devils, Avalanche, etc.) came from teams with HOME GROWN talent, players the team drafted and develop and grew as a core together. Teams that relied heavily on mercenary UFA's or excessive trades to build a squad rarely won the cup or competed regularly for it. I think he listed the requirement at something like a minimum of 7 or maybe 9 Home-Grown kids drafted/developed that were needed to push a team into that upper echelon of Yearly Repeat Cup Contenders ... Well the Kings sit at TWELVE kids from within (Brown, Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Voynov, Bernier, Clifford, King, Lewis, Nolan, Martinez, Muzzin) and potentially have even MORE with Toffoli, Vey, Pearson, Forbort and others waiting in the wings to replace guys we might lose to UFA, trades or injuries. We've tasted our FIRST CUP, and the Hockey Gods willing we should see it again, maybe more than once, over the next decade provided this team can continue with it's direction from Management and support from Ownership.

I tend to agree with this and K17. And you can add the Oilers and their dominance and the Islanders to that list.

Jun 30, 2006
Obviously this Willie issue is well known and probably going to retire...but there's an even bigger issue that the FO is trying to figure out. DL referenced it several times in the interview, and looked beat and tired. Particularly this part is interesting, thanks to KingsInsider and Jon Rosen.

I spent way more time evaluating our cap and keeping this group together than I actually did evaluating the player....

And so everything we did in the last two weeks with Solly (Vice President/Hockey Operations and Legal Affairs Jeff Solomon) is we had more physics projects going on the board than MIT in terms of trying how to figure out how to make sure we keep our own. And so that certainly also had an impact on your market, too, so you’re balancing the players and then you say, ‘Wait a minute,’ you don’t want to get in the situation where ‘OK, I’m paying this to get the player, but then I’m going to pay another tax in the summer because I can’t keep another player.’ So actually your price could increase dramatically if you aren’t cognizant of that.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/04/03/dean-lombardi-press-conference-transcript-video/

Bunch of guys are RFA's, some UFA's and of course the looming extension talks with Brown and Voynov. Dean's going to be busy trying to make this work for next season and that's not including the ten draft picks he's got to go over with his scouts.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Cool shot of Gaborik's waiver to Columbus.

SXi9XXp.png

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Only consolation for Minnesota would be reaching at least WCF with Pominville considering that deal. If they can't go deep this year they might regret moving that 1st.

It really seems like the Wild have to win this year if at all... With the cap dropping next year the Wild have just shy of $56M committed to 16 players with Backstrom, Clutterbuck, Cullen, Bouchard, Falk and Spurgeon all either needing to be replaced or resigned... Good luck with that...

They'll likely need all the prospect depth they have to fill many of those holes, or have to make some significant moves to retain them.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Minny showed they will go all in this year when they signed Suter and Parise. Why is everyone shocked they went after Pommy. I'll give up 2 prospects and 2 picks for Suter, Parise and Pommy any day of the week. The only issue I have is for that package they should of went after Yandle.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Minny showed they will go all in this year when they signed Suter and Parise. Why is everyone shocked they went after Pommy. I'll give up 2 prospects and 2 picks for Suter, Parise and Pommy any day of the week. The only issue I have is for that package they should of went after Yandle.

I'm not surprised, I just don't agree with the approach.

Suter, Parise, and Pominville eat up a nice chunk of cap space as well, so it wasn't just 2 prospects and 2 picks. Also, as several have noted teams full of mercenaries rarely win cups.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm not surprised, I just don't agree with the approach.

Suter, Parise, and Pominville eat up a nice chunk of cap space as well, so it wasn't just 2 prospects and 2 picks. Also, as several have noted teams full of mercenaries rarely win cups.

What kind of chemistry could they possibly build? Also, they're down Cullen and now also Heatley, so while I would never underestimate the Wild, they're pretty patchwork. But yes, they're going all in, and though they have the prospect depth to pretty easily replace most of the above-mentioned folks, I feel like they're going to feel some strain next year.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear I'm agreeing with your sentiments :)

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Every team has to balance out their cap space, and it's interesting the difference in how much money Minnesota has tied up in their forwards, when you compare it to their defense.

After Suter, Minnesota has the least experienced defense in the league, especially come playoff time. That will be what determines their season. If those young guys play well, Minnesota has a nice set of forwards that could do some damage. If the young guys on defense aren't ready for the playoffs, that's going to be what gets them in the end.

The Kings had the same situation with Voynov and Martinez last year. But the Kings had the experience of Scuderi, Greene, Mitchell, and even Doughty to a certain extent, to fall back on. The Wild have Suter, and while he may play half the game, those young defensemen will have to pull their own weight in the post season.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What kind of chemistry could they possibly build? Also, they're down Cullen and now also Heatley, so while I would never underestimate the Wild, they're pretty patchwork. But yes, they're going all in, and though they have the prospect depth to pretty easily replace most of the above-mentioned folks, I feel like they're going to feel some strain next year.

Edit: In case it wasn't clear I'm agreeing with your sentiments :)

I understood that you did. I was just responding to the poster that posted the comment about adding Yandle as well. :)

Every team has to balance out their cap space, and it's interesting the difference in how much money Minnesota has tied up in their forwards, when you compare it to their defense.

After Suter, Minnesota has the least experienced defense in the league, especially come playoff time. That will be what determines their season. If those young guys play well, Minnesota has a nice set of forwards that could do some damage. If the young guys on defense aren't ready for the playoffs, that's going to be what gets them in the end.

The Kings had the same situation with Voynov and Martinez last year. But the Kings had the experience of Scuderi, Greene, Mitchell, and even Doughty to a certain extent, to fall back on. The Wild have Suter, and while he may play half the game, those young defensemen will have to pull their own weight in the post season.

Suter is going to have a pretty big target on his back come playoff time. A defense like the Wild's is tailormade for the Kings' forwards. Something akin to A-Pie and the Blues last year.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I understood that you did. I was just responding to the poster that posted the comment about adding Yandle as well. :)

Suter is going to have a pretty big target on his back come playoff time. A defense like the Wild's is tailormade for the Kings' forwards. Something akin to A-Pie and the Blues last year.

Agreed. And Suter has shown he's human (see--last night getting turned inside--out by Dan Boyle). The rest of their D are human punching bags (Spurgeon is generously listed at 5'9", heh) or human turnovers (Clayton Stoner). I imagine theyr'e gonna try to ride Suter and Brodin for 30 min a game.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Agreed. And Suter has shown he's human (see--last night getting turned inside--out by Dan Boyle). The rest of their D are human punching bags (Spurgeon is generously listed at 5'9", heh) or human turnovers (Clayton Stoner). I imagine theyr'e gonna try to ride Suter and Brodin for 30 min a game.

Yep, and it will likely end much like the Blues did last year when they tried the same thing. That defense beyond Suter just isn't built for the playoffs. I don't see how the Wild can be close to comfortable with the situation they are currently now and going forward...

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
To add to all the WILD talk above ... there's this bit from a Wild Blogger on EkBuzz ...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brad...Debuts-for-Wild-Tonight/78/50621#.UV3l7lrn_RY

Last night, the Wild lost to San Jose. The Wild fought back valiantly, only to see the game slip away and then get their faces rubbed in it by the more physical Sharks. At the end of the game, while Dany Heatley was getting thrown around like a rag doll and chopped down like a Redwood, Wild players could be seen standing on the fringes on the ice, watching, instead of engaging. It leads me to question where is the grit on this team? Where is the passion? The laying down one’s concern for themselves to help the other? These are traits that are necessary for teams to have to not only make the playoffs, but to win in the playoffs. Folks, this Wild team is not guaranteed a spot in the post-season. Not by a long shot. They could still miss out on the post-season if they don’t turn this ship around and turn it around tonight. But, that will be no easy task.

I don't fear that team come playoff time !
th_NoFearEyes.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad