Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Boston -- game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Particularly with Nylander, I said that their whole "fog of war" BS was actually hurting them. Instead of just coming out and saying he's "week to week", they allowed the rampant speculation, which is fine, but that fueled 9 or 10 straight media availabilities where the players were asked about it - which is not fine at a time of year where you want minimum distractions.

I’d say this Matthews situation isn’t great either. Leafs core guys had their meltdown moment on the bench, the first line gives up the 3-0 goal putting the comeback out of reach, boo’s raining down from the home crowd and the franchise cornerstone leaves the game, possibly for the last time this season…

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
From following the Nylander and Matthews absences and health issues the past two weeks, my takeaway is vague information from the Leafs just ends up hurting the player. Info vacuum leads to speculation, comparisons with other players who have played through other conditions at key times and general confusion and frustration.
Indeed.

Though it's probably unfair but headaches and bad stomachs don't seem on the same level as broken sternums and punctured lungs regardless of how debilitating they may be.

Leafs record without Matthews in the lineup… 35-19-2

This ain’t over yet
Maybe it reduces some of the ridiculous over passing ?

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Clearly none of Mitch, Matthews & Nylander are 100% healthy which means the odds on the Leafs coming home for game 6 are pretty bleak.

I expect a very ugly loss and then the "blow up everything" fun on this board really starts.

If they aren’t healthy that’s the sell MLSE needs to run it back next year.

The “blow up everything” will probably only happen here to vent pent up frustration.

Remember this is the same org that had a contract extension in place for Dubas.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
They're done.

I'll pick it up in the second round or training camp, whichever comes first.

Maybe a new management team by then? I think MLSE has had it, too, just like the rest of us.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I’d say this Matthews situation isn’t great either. Leafs core guys had their meltdown moment on the bench, the first line gives up the 3-0 goal putting the comeback out of reach, boo’s raining down from the home crowd and the franchise cornerstone leaves the game, possibly for the last time this season…

It's a horrible look. Even if it might be harsh, and he's battling something major, to pull the shoot when down 3-0 is nuts. I'm sure we will find out more details at some point, but even Matthew Tkachuk and his broken sternum, when he eventually couldn't play anymore, sat on the bench to support his boys.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Indeed.

Though it's probably unfair but headaches and bad stomachs don't seem on the same level as broken sternums and punctured lungs regardless of how debilitating they may be.

Yeah I’m not expecting these guys to play if they’re unwell. But I guess there’s a cloud hanging over this whole situation like you’re already failing the semester and you’re too sick to write the final exam all of a sudden. And to what extent are you running away from your demons. Like that kind of ambiguity hanging over the whole situation the way the Leafs have been so vague about everything.

Reactions: egd27

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What I find a bit sketchy about this is that if he has something contagious, he would have given it to half the team by now, but no one else is out.
I heard Dreger talking about filling him with antibiotics ( granted he has no clue about antibiotics), but if that’s true he has infection that I wouldn’t think would hit him in the middle of a game, where as an injury or a virus could.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a horrible look. Even if it might be harsh, and he's battling something major, to pull the shoot when down 3-0 is nuts. I'm sure we will find out more details at some point, but even Matthew Tkachuk and his broken sternum, when he eventually couldn't play anymore, sat on the bench to support his boys.

I suppose the bathroom may have been a more suitable place to support the troops from what we understand of the situation, but yeah point stands… how it went from a manageable and playable health issue to pulled from the game and not to reappear in public once the hockey went downhill.

Plus isn’t norovirus extremely contagious in close quarters? Like parents of young kids sharing a common space all getting the runs kind of thing.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
hh that's a good one, but far from power trip, I suggested our players play like ladies and got a gender slur warning ...

I would like to use this opportunity to apologise to all ladies hurt by my comments :DD
Better report to sensitivity training immediately :laugh:

Reactions: HolyCrap

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
What I find a bit sketchy about this is that if he has something contagious, he would have given it to half the team by now, but no one else is out.
Speculation is that its long covid

I think there was report at end of season the guys were sick and passed it around

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I suppose the bathroom may have been a more suitable place to support the troops from what we understand of the situation, but yeah point stands… how it went from a manageable and playable health issue to pulled from the game and not to reappear in public once the hockey went downhill.

Plus isn’t norovirus extremely contagious in close quarters? Like parents of young kids sharing a common space all getting the runs kind of thing.
I may have missed it - but did someone say/confirm it was Noro?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I may have missed it - but did someone say/confirm it was Noro?
Nope, like most things on here it is speculation at best.

Matthews is travelling with the team, so assume whatever it is, it is no longer contagious if it even ever was.

Reactions: Tak7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,045.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis