Ticket/Attendance Discussion: The Sequel

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
The volume at the arena is nothing compared to the absolute terror I felt when I attended a a game at the Xcel Energy Center in Minneapolis and heard their goal horn for the first time. The volume felt much louder there than it does at Canada Life but I've found the volume varies depending on where you sit.

Which is why this big fan of hockey avoids going to arenas to watch her favorite sport.

I'm just bemused that teams expend so much effort at promoting the game and trying to sell tickets, but insist on creating such a hostile environment.

I'm still debating whether to accept a date at an upcoming Golden Knights game. It would be my first one in Winnipeg.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I sit in a Loge by the stairs and then he gets going with that drum I have to put my fingers in my ears to avoid permanent damage to my hearing. When you’re not paying attention then and he sneaks up on you it’s downright infuriating! I’ve already mentioned it to my rep and he said he would make my concerns known.

CFN8TD

Jan 23, 2014
Well multi-year SSH agreements look to be done and we are getting our SSH deposit back after 10 years. Looks like there are some positive changes coming for SSH.
Looks good on the face of it but remember without multi-year agreements, so also goes the preset ceilings on annual increases. I find it interesting they say "you will be invited to opt into the updated Membership Program..." This would seem to indicate this new agreement is optional which usually implies there is a real value proposition to be considered by the STH before agreeing to it.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Looks good on the face of it but remember without multi-year agreements, so also goes the preset ceilings on annual increases. I find it interesting they say "you will be invited to opt into the updated Membership Program..." This would seem to indicate this new agreement is optional which usually implies there is a real value proposition to be considered by the STH before agreeing to it.
The devil will be in the details. Many SSH locked in it at low increases for next season by adding the "lost" season to their agreement. When I spoke to my rep last summer, they told me that most SSH were not adding the extra season.

TNSE wanted to model the Jets after Nashville as being a small market team. Lot's of benefits to be had in Nashville.

Purchase 2022-23 Season Tickets

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
I used to be a season ticket holder, right from the start. Me and 3 friends had half seasons each, was such a fun time, especially when we could wear our helmets, go run to the tavern and slam a pitcher or 2, come back and enjoy the game. One of the guys was a smoker, so I'd follow him outside and you could interact with fans outside and just get fresh air before returning to your seats. But as the years went by it just seemed that TN kept taking the fun out of everything. No special package for your season tickets you spent so much on, no going outside, no lanyards to put your season ticket on to scan to come in, beer prices go up, food prices go up. People in winnipeg like free stuff, and I don't mean every single game but more bobblehead nights, or maybe give out a free jets tshirt on each seat one night, or have during the 1st and 2nd intermission one game where 25 random seats each intermission win a free jets jersey, start each 50/50 draw at $25,000 to make more people buy, maybe at the 1st intermission have one of those puck shooting contests where if you get one puck in one of those holes you win something small, but if you say had 5 pucks and you somehow got all 5 in you win a vehicle, I know some of these things are crazy but don't they say it takes money to make money? So if I were TN and for how much money I actually have would it not be wise to not keep the ticket prices as high each year and put some money into the entertainment value for the customers knowing the ownership would probably see the attendance stay full knowing each night you don't know if there is a contest or they are giving away something cool to keep having people fill the seats? Plus having a team play 100% each night and not only 1 period would good too for the amount of money they make.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If they aren't letting you leave the arena they should build some kind of heated patio so people can go outside. LA's arena has this and a bar out there, it's like a Manitoba social out there.:nod:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well multi-year SSH agreements look to be done and we are getting our SSH deposit back after 10 years. Looks like there are some positive changes coming for SSH.

We will see. TNSE doesn't do anything without a reason.

On one hand I like not having the contract. It allows you to walk away if your life situation changes , or your share partner walks, or whatever your reason is. You aren't tied down. And you might be able to move seats easier or more frequently.

But, on the other hand, the contract put a ceiling on how much your tickets were going to go up each year.

With the huge financial hit this team took over the last 2 seasons because of Covid, I could see a situation where TNSE doesn't want anyone ( or a large portion of the STHs ) under contract so they can raise ticket prices in one year by say 10%-15% to make up for the losses. I could see this, but IMO it would be suicide.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Blue Baron

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Seems to be a lot of chatter regarding this recent letter to STHs. I am not one (for the Jets, anyway), so what is in there that's so surprising/revolutionary?

I've been thinking for a while about the establishment of a Jets' Supporters Group, like we have in the UK and Europe, where thousands of subscribers and fans are able to band together to, among other things, relay fan concerns to the team management. They don't seem to exist in NA in quite the same way. I wonder if they'd work here?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Seems to be a lot of chatter regarding this recent letter to STHs. I am not one (for the Jets, anyway), so what is in there that's so surprising/revolutionary?

I've been thinking for a while about the establishment of a Jets' Supporters Group, like we have in the UK and Europe, where thousands of subscribers and fans are able to band together to, among other things, relay fan concerns to the team management. They don't seem to exist in NA in quite the same way. I wonder if they'd work here?

I don't think they'd work here. The culture is different.

As for the letter, I think the concern of some is that, with ticket holder agreements, part of the agreement was a limit on price increases year over year. I would guess the worry is that there is no longer a limit on the price increase without the agreement.

Reactions: JetsUK

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
TNSE used to send yearly surveys to STH’s and that abruptly stopped several years ago. Basically confirmed to me they don’t care about our opinions anymore.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
TNSE used to send yearly surveys to STH’s and that abruptly stopped several years ago. Basically confirmed to me they don’t care about our opinions anymore.
I answered many of those surveys and they never once listened to a single thing I said. Saw the writing on the wall with how they treat STH but they didn't listen and now they reap what they sow.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
I don't think they'd work here. The culture is different.

As for the letter, I think the concern of some is that, with ticket holder agreements, part of the agreement was a limit on price increases year over year. I would guess the worry is that there is no longer a limit on the price increase without the agreement.
They raised it 3% nearly every year, told them it's unsustainable and now here we are. I wouldn't be too concerned, if they keep raising it even 3% they will lose their team.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
My only concern is that a double crown red cup solo went from $10 the first year to $17 in 11 years.

I’m waiting for next year / or maybe the year after that when they increase the price to break $20……..

I miss the days of the old Winnipeg arena on maroons Rd where in between periods you would line up at the trough to pee and you would see 3 or 4 empty plastic mickeys floating towards the drain.

“It was a simpler time” When the Winnipeg Jets were considered one of the best teams in hockey able to beat CCCP 5-3.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
My only concern is that a double crown red cup solo went from $10 the first year to $17 in 11 years.

I’m waiting for next year / or maybe the year after that when they increase the price to break $20……..

I miss the days of the old Winnipeg arena on maroons Rd where in between periods you would line up at the trough to pee and you would see 3 or 4 empty plastic mickeys floating towards the drain.

“It was a simpler time” When the Winnipeg Jets were considered one of the best teams in hockey able to beat CCCP 5-3.

Just say no to troughs. Peeing at a trough is a non-starter for me, literally. I need privacy or I clench. Urinals with dividers are barely acceptable, but if there are people milling about behind me anxiously waiting for my spot, again... clench. I'm sorry, I'm old and I can't blast the fire hose anymore. Give me the sanctity of a stall every time. :nod:

Reactions: The Blue Baron

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Reading thru the new ticket agreement:

Basic difference is... instead of telling the Jets by renewing that you want to continue being a STH and if you don't renew you are out.... in the new plan you have 1 month each season to opt out ( in writing ) and if you don't opt out , it is automatically renewed.

No restriction on price increases.

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Reading thru the new ticket agreement:

Basic difference is... instead of telling the Jets by renewing that you want to continue being a STH and if you don't renew you are out.... in the new plan you have 1 month each season to opt out ( in writing ) and if you don't opt out , it is automatically renewed.
Yes, this could keep ticket increases in check as a 15% increase would likely result in a lots of opt outs. I am unclear if there are any increases over last season. I believe last season it cost me $11 154 which was including a $200 discount for adding a year to my SSH. So it would have cost $11 354 - My invoice for next season would be $11 424 so an increase of $70 if my math is correct.

My beef with the payment options plan has always been they take your $$$ in advance of the season and overlap with a long playofff run. Where some other teams pay $$$$ during the season instead of prior to and then add playoff costs that don't overlap. I guess for 2% there is the monthly plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad