Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I almost miss Hakstol
Very similar as far as stupidity goes, but at least he wasn’t so aggressively loud and egotistical.

He helps dogs, that’s his only redeeming quality.

He will quit long before he is fired , he will bail on the team.
He already quit last year when he refused to coach and sat upstairs.

He’s just collecting paychecks. :laugh:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Very similar as far as stupidity goes, but at least he wasn’t so aggressively loud and egotistical.

He already quit last year when he refused to coach and sat upstairs.

He’s just collecting paychecks. :laugh:
They're both intensely stupid

1697997760864.png

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hakstol is absolutely way more forward thinking than Tortorella.

Hakstol also falls into the expansive category of "coaches who open up offense more when they aren't with the Flyers." It's almost like the exact same management group pushing the exact same values for many many years has been pushing coaches to meet particular standards.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
Hakstol is absolutely way more forward thinking than Tortorella.

Hakstol also falls into the expansive category of "coaches who open up offense more when they aren't with the Flyers." It's almost like the exact same management group pushing the exact same values for many many years has been pushing coaches to meet particular standards.

Hard to play against is the standard. Goals are for lazy stat padders. Heart is the top priority. It would be really nice if that would change sometime in my lifetime.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think Tortorella is serious when he talks about not understanding offense (obviously) and not trying to stifle players with offensive systems. Hakstol's issue with the Flyers was trying to scheme offense to death with his sterile North Dakota ideas. Seattle last year was 11th in FF/60 and 21st in xGF/60 at 5v5. He is who he is. Although the short goatee era showed promise, he's always been a dead eyed, button-upped asshole afraid of risk and youth. I can't pine for him. I also think both theses assholes clear the AV bar. What a miserable decade.

The issue is Tortorella delegates offensive responsibilities to hand appointed morons like Rocky Thompson. No one can ever challenge Therrien for Xs and Os incompetence on the PP, given the elite talent he had, but Rocky is doing his best. Even in Columbus' 3 year Tortorella peak, they were 6th in 5v5 offense (GF/60 and xGF/60), while being 3rd worst on the PP. That's the positive and negative of being hands off. I don't think he's creatively restrictive (usage is another story), but PPs are inherently more system oriented. Nothing says the Flyers will improve there. David Cronenberg couldn't dream up grotesqueness like this. Tortorella has no answers because he admits to not understanding offense.

But Tortorella being part of the Triumvirate changes the calculus too. This guy having personnel input will be a disaster. First step is trading Frost in the upcoming months. And when they inevitably don't improve, he'll burn things down.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I think Tortorella is serious when he talks about not understanding offense (obviously) and not trying to stifle players with offensive systems. Hakstol's issue with the Flyers was trying to scheme offense to death with his sterile North Dakota ideas. Seattle last year was 11th in FF/60 and 21st in xGF/60 at 5v5. He is who he is. Although the short goatee era showed promise, he's always been a dead eyed, button-upped asshole afraid of risk and youth. I can't pine for him. I also think both theses assholes clear the AV bar. What a miserable decade.

The issue is Tortorella delegates offensive responsibilities to hand appointed morons like Rocky Thompson. No one can ever challenge Therrien for Xs and Os incompetence on the PP, given the elite talent he had, but Rocky is doing his best. Even in Columbus' 3 year Tortorella peak, they were 6th in 5v5 offense (GF/60 and xGF/60), while being 3rd worst on the PP. That's the positive and negative of being hands off. I don't think he's creatively restrictive (usage is another story), but PPs are inherently more system oriented. Nothing says the Flyers will improve there. David Cronenberg couldn't dream up grotesqueness like this. Tortorella has no answers because he admits to not understanding offense.

But Tortorella being part of the Triumvirate changes the calculus too. This guy having personnel input will be a disaster. First step is trading Frost in the upcoming months. And when they inevitably don't improve, he'll burn things down.
#darkesttimeline

#maximumpain

#sameolneweraofOrange

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Torts will be no problem with personnel, b/c he's on the same page with Briere.

They just added Michkov, Barkey, Ciernak and Rizzo last summer, not exactly lacking in skill.
Brink has solidified a top 9, maybe a top 6 role.

Seems to me the type of player they're avoiding is the big soft skilled forward who treats defense and forechecking as afterthoughts.

Big two way centers with a least one skill first forward on each line.
Bottom six filled with guys with speed, 'tude and discipline who are good forecheckers.

Puck movers on defense, York, Andrae, Bonk, even the big defensive guys have some mobility, Grans, Sotheran, Samson.

Torts doesn't stress the PP, but 2016-17: +12 on STs, 2017-18: -15, 2018-19: +6
The stress is more on the PK and not giving up SH goals on the PP.
When his teams do that, STs are above average.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Allison's value was solely off a cameo at the end of the season when the Flyers were playing out the string under AV. Got hurt the next season, then played 60g last year, mostly on the third line with Hayes as his center, and showed little. That's what deep sixed his value, not performing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Allison's value was solely off a cameo at the end of the season when the Flyers were playing out the string under AV. Got hurt the next season, then played 60g last year, mostly on the third line with Hayes as his center, and showed little. That's what deep sixed his value, not performing.

Another example of the falsehoods you have to create to defend nonstop failure instead of questioning why these things always happen over and over.

Reactions: Striiker and Tripod

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How the hell did we manage to get some of the dumbest and least likable NHL coaches back-to-back-to-back?

Not "likable but dumb" or a "jerk who knows his stuff". Three miserable assholes who also don't know the first thing about hockey.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
There are two things that I like about Tortorella. First, he told everyone last year that this club needed to be rebuilt. When Charles 'Entertainment' Fletcher would go to the press and talk about how close they were, Tortorella would contradict him publicly. Second, Tortorella helped get Fletcher fired. Those are the only things that I'll give Tortorella credit for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad