Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Imagine if they actually fired him before the season even starts, that would be a nail in the coffin for him coaching no? Has any team ever done it, just fire the coach before the season starts?
Closest I can think of was when we fired Lavi 5 games into the season or whatever it was. Ed Snider tried to defend it by saying it was really more games than that on account of preseason games IIRC.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Who’s firing Tortorella? Keith Jones? Dan Hilferty? They’ve made it clear they’ll clean house in personnel over getting rid of the has-been coach. They’ve hired an entire front office based on willingness to accommodate the coach. He’s savvily positioned himself as the Coca-Cola formula keeper of hockey culture, and every single person in power is adamant that sweater vests are actually cool.

If the Flyers lose, he can blame the talent and/or use the rebuilding excuse. He also has prevented certain trades that would signal a true rebuild, so any over-performing is due to his brilliance and not just half-assing the rebuild. It’s a win-win. I feel confident he’s coaching his entire 4 year contract. It’s what happens after that’s up for debate.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Who’s firing Tortorella? Keith Jones? Dan Hilferty? They’ve made it clear they’ll clean house in personnel over getting rid of the has-been coach. They’ve hired an entire front office based on willingness to accommodate the coach. He’s savvily positioned himself as the Coca-Cola formula keeper of hockey culture, and every single person in power is adamant that sweater vests are actually cool.

If the Flyers lose, he can blame the talent and/or use the rebuilding excuse. He also has prevented certain trades that would signal a true rebuild, so any over-performing is due to his brilliance and not just half-assing the rebuild. It’s a win-win. I feel confident he’s coaching his entire 4 year contract. It’s what happens after that’s up for debate.
exactly... Torts dino views on hockey are literaly perfectly made for this assbackwards Org.

hes not getting fired... hes going up the ladder and gunna gain more and more say over everything.

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
It’s gonna take some time for Jones and crew to line up a new coach, to coach Michkov and co, to get their playoff run started. I will suffer through it, but our new coach will arrive, just before Michkov

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Since 2013 I have had to watch Lavi trying to follow orders to be defensive, Berube following orders to be as defensive as possible, Hakstol, AV trying to be defensive, and Tortorella being told to just be as true to himself as he can be.

We are through rock bottom and careening through the scorching mantle towards the hellish liquid metal core of "Head Coach Dallas Eakins, Assistants Bylsma and Stevens"

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Th real danger of Torts is if he clashes with actual young talent and forces Briere to sell them off at low value like we just saw with TDA and Hayes. Thats my biggest concern.

Ny biggest fear is guys like Farabee, York, Brink, Gauthier, etc are moved out before they realize Torts is the problem.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
As I search for more meaningful threads to post on...this one merits a bump, from summer doldrums into initial opening season rages.

I do not think Tortorella needs to be fired. He does have a seemingly outsized grip on management roster and trade decisions. And he operates on some player evaluation scale that is hard to understand. But the team's play collectively owes some of his success to him...MHO.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
As I search for more meaningful threads to post on...this one merits a bump, from summer doldrums into initial opening season rages.

I do not think Tortorella needs to be fired. He does have a seemingly outsized grip on management roster and trade decisions. And he operates on some player evaluation scale that is hard to understand. But the team's play collectively owes some of his success to him...MHO.
This team started last season 5-2-1 before completely collapsing.

They started the season before that 5-2-1 before completely collapsing even more.

Why would this year be any different?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Th real danger of Torts is if he clashes with actual young talent and forces Briere to sell them off at low value like we just saw with TDA and Hayes. Thats my biggest concern.

Ny biggest fear is guys like Farabee, York, Brink, Gauthier, etc are moved out before they realize Torts is the problem.
Torts almost forced them to make a sucker trade of Sanheim for Krug, but it looks like the first young talent to be forced out for pennies on the dollar will be Frost.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Torts has done absolutely nothing of value since coming here.

He’s a garbage human being, a horribly outdated coach, and a lazy employee.

The people who value and respect him do so in spite of his words and actions, not because of them

Preach.

cTyCJ1z.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad