Teams that were almost relocated

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Peter Karmanos Jr. is 70 years old. He's never been very happy with Carolina. He can only charge below average ticket prices, has an unimpressive TV contract, and has lost a lot of money. Any owner following in Karmanos' footsteps would also take the best possible offer after the lease is up, including relocation. Don't expect Carolina to ever be an untouchable franchise!

Despite the factual errors in this paragraph, what does it have to do with "TEAMS THAT WERE ALMOST RELOCATED"?

Let's get this back on topic.

Reactions: DaveG

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
People interested in this sort of thing should look at the WHA merger. There were a lot of shenanigans there. Toronto Toros almost made it in, as I recall? I think Ballard quashed it.

Before they ran off to Detroit to become part of the Red Wings, the New Westminster Cougars played in the still standing Queens Park Arena. I think a heritage classic played there between the Wings and Canucks would be more interesting than playing Ottawa on a football field.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
People interested in this sort of thing should look at the WHA merger. There were a lot of shenanigans there. Toronto Toros almost made it in, as I recall? I think Ballard quashed it.

They had relocated to Birmingham in 1976 - which Ballard had a hand in, by doing things like charging $3,500 per game, over and above the terms of their lease, for the use of the lights in MLG.

But yes, I do believe that Birmingham just missed the cut to make the jump to the NHL

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
They had relocated to Birmingham in 1976 - which Ballard had a hand in, by doing things like charging $3,500 per game, over and above the terms of their lease, for the use of the lights in MLG.

But yes, I do believe that Birmingham just missed the cut to make the jump to the NHL

Don't forget about only allowing one ticket window to ever be open for a Toros game. If there was going to be any type of walk-up crowd (like when the Jets came in with Bobby Hull and his European linemates), the line could stretch for blocks.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Coyotes were pretty close to moving to Portland in 2004 and in 2012

Nashville Predators were rumored to move to Winnipeg in 2007.

And it indeed was true. Bettman did offer TNSE the Preds back then as was confirmed by Chipman himself.
Paul Kariya didn't re-sign with the Predators because he thought the team was moving

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
The Penguins have almost moved quite a few times to cities including Seattle and Kansas City. The Canadiens almost moved to Cleveland in the 1930s. The Whalers almost moved to Columbus in the 1990s. The Oilers almost moved to Houston in the late 1990s.
Could you imagine

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Houston - WHA Aeros owner thought he had a deal to move Colorado Rockies to Houston in 1978, and North Stars looked at Houston in 1993 before choosing Dallas due to Mavericks owner being more willing to share arena than Rockets owner.

MSN

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Seriously Dave, where do people get their BS sometimes? The Canes relo to Hartford? Right. Now that the 'Yotes situation is settled are we going to be the team that the ill-informed vultures are constantly circling over?
Oh, the irony....

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Don't feel like looking for links however...

Edmonton nearly moved to Houston in the late 90's. Only a last minute intervention by Bettman to allow large groups to combine allowed the EIG to save the Oilers (something Bettman did NOT do for the Jets 1.0).

Ottawa did or almost declare bankruptcy in the late 90's, not sure if there was relocation talk though.

Pittsburgh was the subject of many rumours before getting Crosby, most notably with a rumour of them going to Kansas City to move into the then new Sprint Centre when Kansas City did not realize they would not need a full-time tenant to be successful.

Jim Ballsille (sp? whatever) tried to move Nashville to Hamilton in around 2007ish.

Off the top of my head.
Oilers were literally one hour away from moving.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What happened the last few Karmanos years?
Basically he was looking to cash out. His current wife wanted to maintain a certain level of lifestyle and Compuware wasn't worth near what it was when he bought the team, yet alone adjusted for inflation. Add to it that when Thewes died PK started to really cut back on the money he put into the team going forward. QC was a very real possibility considering Jim Goodnight didn't want to invest in hockey and the other prospective owner with local ties (Vinik, Duke grad) bought the Bolts instead.

Tom Dundon literally saved the team. If not from relocation then at the minimum from being another Coyotes situation and possibly being sold to Tepper eventually (shudders in disgust)

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The Devils were very close to moving to Nashville in 95. Rumors were if not for the Stanley cup run they would have ended up in Nashville.
IIRC, Devils had a lousy lease at the time at Brendan Byrne arena (or whatever it was called). it was owned by the NJSEA. Couple that with not-so-great attendance. I remember during their run in 95, whether it was at a game or during their parade someone holding a sign that read, "No Devils, No Whitman". Christine Todd-Whitman was the governor at the time. I don't recall ALL the details, maybe a Devils fan can chime in on this one. Whether it was they were not getting anything for parking or concessions or the rent was too high. Different team, but the Isles did not have a great lease at the Coliseum, and attendance was a problem in the 90s. But, they had a GREAT tv deal with then Sportschannel, which eventually became part of the FS group. Devils were also on Sportschannel and shown throughout the NY Metro area. Yes, living on LI, I got all Devils games on my cable. Not sure the Devils tv deal was as strong as the Isles.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Does anyone have anything more on Canadiens move to Cleveland in 1935? Apparently there's something about it in the book celebrating 100th anniversary of the Habs, but it's impossible for me to get it ;).
Never heard this, but have to assume it was depression related? Different times back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad