Series Discussion: Series Discussion Habs 4 - Jets 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
And Canada is in the Gold Medal game after a miraculous turnaround.

The tournament isn't meant to develop players.

That's fine, but everything that Maurice gets criticized for, Gallant does just as much if not more. Hence I don't understand people wanting to get rid of Maurice and hire Gallant.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The issue is that Perfetti has been one of Canada's best performers not playing on the first line and him riding the pine seems to be based on nothing more then his age and the fact that he isn't in the NHL yet.
All im saying is the goal is to win the gold medal and they're in the game.

Of course I want Perfetti to play big minutes. I saw a mixed bag from him in the games I watched

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
All im saying is the goal is to win the gold medal and they're in the game.

Of course I want Perfetti to play big minutes. I saw a mixed bag from him in the games I watched

Of course it is.and it will.still.be good to be around NHL players for a couple of weeks.for him.

Reactions: Jet

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The issue is that Perfetti has been one of Canada's best performers not playing on the first line and him riding the pine seems to be based on nothing more then his age and the fact that he isn't in the NHL yet.

Go check out that World Championship thread - I posted the stats. If Perfetti hadn't scored the GWG in their first win there would have been no chance for Canada to reach the playoffs. He is Canada's 7th best scorer with only 1 player having less min/game... And 2 players with less total minutes. He's better than most of the guys there...

Perfetti has been very good defensively, he has only been on the ice for two goals against and one was the Kuemper misadventure behind his own net early in the RR game against the US. He is a "0" for plus minus when, as you can see above, many players are a minus for the tournament.

In the RR he played between 8-12 mins a game and on the PP2. He was running the halfway on the PP and 5 on 5 created offensive opportunities for himself and his teammates. He scored the GWG in the third period of a must win game against Kazakhstan and even was on the ice late in periods and games.

It seems that the staff has decided to roll the 4 lines and not play the 13th forward which until the playoffs was never Cole.
The only plausible explanation for it being him is age, experience and being the only non NHL forward. I have to assume that there were promises made to players when convincing them to come over to Europe after a long year in a pandemic. NHL guys didn't come over to sit on the bench.

Number 22 has played 50% more ice, has zero goals, zero assists and is a minus 4
Number 27 has played 55% more ice, has zero goals, zero assists and is a minus 5
Number 17 has played 50% more ice, has one goal (EN), zero assists and is a minus 1
Number 13 has played 55% more ice, has zero goals, one assist and is a minus 3.

Both the eye test and the stats suggest Cole should be playing ahead of at least one of them but age, experience and promises are keeping him on the bench IMO.

This should be great development for him and will help be more ready to play at the next level after playing and practicing with and against NHLers for the last 3 weeks.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Even a kid like Cole Perfetti, who was invited to the world championship team, gets shunted to the back burner when the games are on the line. It's great development for him, but coaches will go with those veterans that they can trust more than a 19-year-old. How does Gallant handle personnel decisions in the NHL anyways? Does he let injuries force his hand like a certain coach of the Jets does?

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Rare sighting: George tumbling in here drunk!

Not much of a drinker, but winded up getting hammered on homemade margaritas.

See we're down 2 games now. Not surprising. It's going to be a sweep.

You know things are bad when we can beat the Oilers but are having our asses handed to us by the shitty Habs.

Whoops, I'm starting to sober up, so heading out for more booze.

Hopefully we get swept! :biglaugh:

did you poke yourself in the eye with one of those drink umbrellas? :laugh:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
JETS - SWEEP.gif

I have fear of being swept -- it would be embarrassing. :cool:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think he's definitely a Top 6 player, although maybe not now. I also think he's playing exactly the way he's been coached this year: skate hard, forecheck aggressively, work the boards and when in doubt chip or dump the puck. Minimize risk, aim for zone time.

This kid has great tools, and has been a solid-to-prolific scorer at every level. He has some work to in order to learn when to pass, when to shoot, when to crash the net, when to finesse from the boards, when to peel back and protect in order for better options. Ideally, he's a trigger-man doing the work to rush the puck in or dig it out, and more than anything he needs confidence. I don't think it's a coincidence that when the Jets unleash their lowest-risk game, they're not scoring, from anywhere.

I would say he is a way's from being an prolific scorer at the NHL level. He's improved from last year's disappointing season on the Moose, but there's still the process of catching up to the speed of the game. I was hoping to see some chemistry develop between he and Ehlers, but I remember Ves had a good chance to put the puck on Nik's stick, with him giving the beaver tail on an odd man rush, and the rook just wasted the shot. That's the growing pains.
I don't understand how they can't find room for him on the PP, with Scheif and Stastny out.

I know we have to win but I wouldn't mind seeing something like

Connor-Stastny-Wheeler
Copp-Dubois-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Lewis

Morrissey-Heinola
Forbort-Pionk
Stanley-Poolman

Give all the rookies a chance to play in the playoffs. It's a good lesson for them, playing guys who have been through the battle, because these kids will have to learn to elevate their games come playoff time. There's 4 guys on the other side who have won it all, grinding to the end. But everyone starts as a rookie at some point.

I think the main key to changing the tide is the defense. It's really a 2 horse carriage for the Jets, vs. the big 4 for the Habs. Forbort has been relatively good, but the Jets defense hasn't put up much offense, and has to play relatively low risk, given their talent level. Without Scheifele, the centre advantage also tilts in the Habs favour, which, as we have seen before, weakens some of the winger magic.

I don't give us a snowball's chance right now. And you know Maurice is going to grind out his vets, only to lose them in the offseason to a new crop.

My hatred of George Parros is pretty high.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I would say he is a way's from being an prolific scorer at the NHL level. He's improved from last year's disappointing season on the Moose, but there's still the process of catching up to the speed of the game.
I don't understand how they can't find room for him on the PP, with Scheif and Stastny out.

I know we have to win but I wouldn't mind seeing something like

Connor-Stastny-Wheeler
Copp-Dubois-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Appleton
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Lewis

Morrissey-Heinola
Forbort-Pionk
Stanley-Poolman

Give all the rookies a chance to play in the playoffs. It's a good lesson for them, playing guys who have been through the battle, because these kids will have to learn to elevate their games come playoff time. There's 4 guys on the other side who have won it all, grinding to the end. But everyone starts as a rookie at some point.

I think the main key to changing the tide is the defense. It's really a 2 horse carriage for the Jets, vs. the big 4 for the Habs. Forbort has been relatively good, but the Jets defense hasn't put up much offense, and has to play relatively low risk, given their talent level. Without Scheifele, the centre advantage also tilts in the Habs favour, which, as we have seen before, weakens some of the winger magic.

I don't give us a snowball's chance right now. And you know Maurice is going to grind out his vets, only to lose them in the offseason to a new crop.

My hatred of George Parros is pretty high.
If you are trying Gus now why not also try out Samberg.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If you are trying Gus now why not also try out Samberg.

Because Gus has played with the team, this year and last year. And he has shown chemistry with Vesalainen, which is different than putting Ves on various line combos, looking for a spark. I don't think this is Dylan's year, and I don't see his game changing the tide. I think Ville's first pass could generate some offense, and take some of the pressure off Josh.

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
Anyone one else think that after the habs move onto round 2 and get dummied by the Avs or Vegas they will fail to make the playoffs next year. And then of course their fan base will be right back to normal trashing the crap out of them.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Both should be in the lineup full time next year. Heck Harkins should have played way more this year.
Yes but one played much less time on the 4th line the other played a lot with the Lowry line. The one having the better game should have been on the Lowry line.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Because Gus has played with the team, this year and last year. And he has shown chemistry with Vesalainen, which is different than putting Ves on various line combos, looking for a spark. I don't think this is Dylan's year, and I don't see his game changing the tide. I think Ville's first pass could generate some offense, and take some of the pressure off Josh.
Good points.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Gallant played 18 year old Power a shit ton.

Gallant is a weird coach he seems to get the most out of players for a season, maybe a little more and then is quickly discarded. From what I've heard he often tries to play GM as he likes to have a lot of control and that usually rubs GMs the wrong way.

Kypdurron

May 22, 2021
I think all this talk about Gallant is useless, since rumor has it that he is already hired by a team (happened before the world championship). And they were waiting for the championship to end to announce it. If that is true I am guessing that we WI know in the coming days...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad