Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
letang and the hunters have been tight since letang played in the ohl, do you think that all of a sudden that changes because of a playoff series? if dale wanted to quit coaching i can pretty much promise you that letang would be their first choice. listed to mark talk about him he talks about him like hes his own son.
Just because your tight with someone doesn't mean you're a good coach,. Also, no, if Dale quits his son or Steadman will take over. Also, it's not just one playoff round but that was the final straw for me. As I have said few times now.... Team Canada is a boys club... Hunter putting relationships first is possibly why this team stunk.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Just because your tight with someone doesn't mean you're a good coach,. Also, no, if Dale quits his son or Steadman will take over. Also, it's not just one playoff round but that was the final straw for me. As I have said few times now.... Team Canada is a boys club... Hunter putting relationships first is possibly why this team stunk.
thats your opinion, ive heard mark say that letang is an nhl level coach eventual, if you have heard him say something opposite of that, great.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
thats your opinion, ive heard mark say that letang is an nhl level coach eventual, if you have heard him say something opposite of that, great.
Thats awesome... them being tight waters down that statement... I wonder if Mark would hire him now as an NHL coach? likely, no. I would be shocked and amazed if a guy with a well below .500 record in the O would be a candidate to coach in the N. Also, no, it's not just my opinion, I have heard people in the Sting organization say they were unhappy with the coaching in the playoffs last year not to mention virtually everyone on this board.

Reactions: Section5Petes

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
As an example Rehkopf makes his living shooting pucks. In this tourney he either passed off or was told to stand in front and screen the goalie.
There were multiple posts on the Kitchener board crying foul for having Allard on the PP but not Rehkopf. Allard was playing net front at the time. Rehkopf replaced him. I guess I don't understand this comment.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Thats awesome... them being tight waters down that statement... I wonder if Mark would hire him now as an NHL coach? likely, no. I would be shocked and amazed if a guy with a well below .500 record in the O would be a candidate to coach in the N. Also, no, it's not just my opinion, I have heard people in the Sting organization say they were unhappy with the coaching in the playoffs last year not to mention virtually everyone on this board.
great, but he was still named the head coach after all that. message board comments do not equal reality in most instances. fans are fanatics, tribal and emotinal, hockey professionals generally are not.

i dont even pretend to know if he is a good coach, i know way to much goes on behind the scenes, theres no way to know without really dialing it off ice and on. if you think hes awful, great, but im pretty sure he will be an ahl coach shortly if he wants to.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
There were multiple posts on the Kitchener board crying foul for having Allard on the PP but not Rehkopf. Allard was playing net front at the time. Rehkopf replaced him. I guess I don't understand this comment.
I like Allard's game Pops. Not sure where you saw all these numerous post. I'll put on my rose colloured glasses and have a look. Are you saying we replaced him or Letang? We had nothing to do with the lines. We all have a bucket of sour grapes to suck on today with Canada losing and mine are just as sour as yours. Question do you think Allard would have scored more than Rehkopf for Canada? Razor was second on the team in scoring and he sat on the bench quite a bit.

Reactions: blkhawk and Ferda11

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
great, but he was still named the head coach after all that. message board comments do not equal reality in most instances. fans are fanatics, tribal and emotinal, hockey professionals generally are not.

i dont even pretend to know if he is a good coach, i know way to much goes on behind the scenes, theres no way to know without really dialing it off ice and on. if you think hes awful, great, but im pretty sure he will be an ahl coach shortly if he wants to.
lol yes and as I said Hockey Canada is a boys club. I feel like the people in here are very knowledgable and have a good pulse on the league. Im sure he will move on from Sarnia at some point thats usually the flow. No ones hurt their stock more than Letang... it's one thing to drop the ball for Sarnia.... but to do it on national tv for team Canada... Good conversation nonetheless

Reactions: Ferda11

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I like Allard's game Pops. Not sure where you saw all these numerous post. I'll put on my rose colloured glasses and have a look. Are you saying we replaced him or Letang? We had nothing to do with the lines. We all have a bucket of sour grapes to suck on today with Canada losing and mine are just as sour as yours. Question do you think Allard would have scored more than Rehkopf for Canada? Razor was second on the team in scoring and he sat on the bench quite a bit.
Lol no way Allard would have scored more than Rehkopf. Allard was not selected for the team to score more than anyone. However, he did pot a couple, some real greasy goals around the net.

Actually, on re-read, it's probably not so much your post I disagree with on re-read, but the posts last week on the Kitchener board crying foul about having Allard and not Rehkopf on the pp. I do actually agree that Rehkopf belonged on the pp but not at net front.

Sorry to Sting fans for partially hijacking the thread.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Lol no way Allard would have scored more than Rehkopf. Allard was not selected for the team to score more than anyone. However, he did pot a couple, some real greasy goals around the net.

Actually, on re-read, it's probably not so much your post I disagree with on re-read, but the posts last week on the Kitchener board crying foul about having Allard and not Rehkopf on the pp. I do actually agree that Rehkopf belonged on the pp but not at net front.

one item that ive heard about letang is in 'win now' mode, that he generally will opt for older players vs younger more skilled players if it comes down to it. the birth year may have been a factor.

Reactions: Ferda11

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The style of play and playing time is 100% on Letang. I doubt player selection is on Letang. Agree on Minten, I guess his selection and wearing the C maybe due he's a high profile Leaf pick.....gotta get those TV ratings. I've noticed that Minten got a lot less mention about being a Leaf pick when his play was hindering the success of the team.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016

We don't mind in the slightest... it's interesting to see other teams point of views... as long as the conversation is respectful which it is... keep the discussion going. ... just to jump in here for a sec... The ' net front presence' is a staple of Sarnia's abysmal power play... you essentially have a useless guy out front almost making it a 4-4 situation... we've seen it all year in Sarnia. I understand the concept of it but the 'net front' guy needs to be doing more than standing there.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well. Tough blow for the resident Letang defender today. Hahaha. YIKES. I do think this was a weak Canada roster. Worst group of Fs I've seen them have in a long while. The supposed stars of the team did not look like them all tournament outside Celebrini.

But Czechia wasn't any good either & they played a nail biter vs Germany. Those are unacceptable for Canada at any hockey tournament.

To me it's become more clear he's a good defensive minded coach. When that doesn't work or gets pushed he has struggled to adapt. London plays a strong defense = we have ZERO adjustments/tweaks/fixes to generate offense

Canada couldn't score a ton? No adjustments/tweaks/fixes to get more goals. That's a pattern unfortunately.

To me he has a John Tortorella type view on coaching. It shows with who he plays/doesn't. He loves playing Way or in this case Minten. 2 "big, strong, hard on the puck" guys. Over guys like Vilmanis, Rehkopf etc who are game breakers who are any moment can score an insane goal.

Shows by naming Both captain lmao. Both on the PP although they don't deserve it or have the skills for it.

Do I think he's a bad coach? No. But clearly has some deficiencies I didn't see till last year's playoffs. Hopefully this can be a major wake up call for him. Biggest stage got embarrassed truthfully.

As Ferda said tho, they must not have done their research. Put a Sarnia Sting member in charge & look what happens. Can't make it up 😂😂

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
OS opens up import sport. Another potential landing spot for vilmanis now. Crazy what they gave up imo. 7th seed buying makes for a crazy week. Could be really good for us.
I don't think they're done yet either. They only moved their 26 3rd rounder and still have a couple 2nds and a couple 06s to add another piece or two. They still need a right shot D.

It's crazy that they're buying lol. I think about everyone in Owen Sound thought for sure it was going to be a sell off.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I don't think they're done yet either. They only moved their 26 3rd rounder and still have a couple 2nds and a couple 06s to add another piece or two. They still need a right shot D.

It's crazy that they're buying lol. I think about everyone in Owen Sound thought for sure it was going to be a sell off.
End of the day u guys have built towards this season for years. It's really tough to then punt on the season. Like Kitchener last season. The talent is there. But they've underperformed for whatever reason all yr. But unlike KIT last yr 2 good weeks and your competing for home ice.

Ik DeGray has been a stickler for not being aggresive but he HAS to be after this..you don't trade your 1st and call it a day. Gotta do more.

Reactions: Section5Petes

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
After seeing what the Petes got for McCue and Smith. I'm kinda curios about sending the twins to the Soo. And maybe getting Brown and Virgilio. Brown a former 1st who could use a change of senory. And Virgilio would fit right in on D with Fischer, Young and Barr.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
After seeing what the Petes got for McCue and Smith. I'm kinda curios about sending the twins to the Soo. And maybe getting Brown and Virgilio. Brown a former 1st who could use a change of senory. And Virgilio would fit right in on D with Fischer, Young and Barr.
they have been shoping the twins around, dont see them moving them for anything other then an overpay, but if you can get a top 06, why wouldnt you.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
they have been shoping the twins around, dont see them moving them for anything other then an overpay, but if you can get a top 06, why wouldnt you.
Thanks for the info. Yah that's what I'd hope for. They've been so good. Wouldn't wanna trade them away for scraps when they could be top end (especially Jacob) OAs next yr & hopefully garner more interest.

Heard much else on guys like Filak, Doucette?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks for the info. Yah that's what I'd hope for. They've been so good. Wouldn't wanna trade them away for scraps when they could be top end (especially Jacob) OAs next yr & hopefully garner more interest.

Heard much else on guys like Filak, Doucette?
they were on the wire last week. im sure they would move them if the right offer comes. i think vilmantis is the best trade chip right now, but dont expect a high return, he will go for similar to what hamara went for.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
they were on the wire last week. im sure they would move them if the right offer comes. i think vilmantis is the best trade chip right now, but dont expect a high return, he will go for similar to what hamara went for.
3rd+4th was Hamara return. Wouldn't hate it. Would love to get two 3rds or 2nd+3 or 2nd+4th cause he is a more impactful player but can't be to picky with imports. Only so many teams can do it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad