Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
CODD released by Saginaw. He was one guy I was looking at as a possible upgrade for Way. I know he has a history of injuries. But I think if he stays healthy he could have a break out year. I hope the Sting take a look at him they could upgrade an OA spot for free if they decide to bring him in. Just a thought.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I'd love to be wrong but I don't think you'll see them move Way. I think they love his size, leadership, grit etc.

Especially for (if I remember correctly) a smaller F in Codd.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I'd love to be wrong but I don't think you'll see them move Way. I think they love his size, leadership, grit etc.

Especially for (if I remember correctly) a smaller F in Codd.
Yeah, I don't think Way is going anywhere. He'll likely have a "A" on his jersey as well. Not enough leadership or vets on the team so I can see them keeping Cooper around for that exact reason. Be nice to see him chip in 15-20 tho.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I think Way played his role last year very well. I'm not seeing him on the move.
Ya. I think Way is the kind of player who exemplifies what the sting need to be this season. 100% hustle, every shift, every game. He has bad hands, and more than a couple of he’s goals last year were empty netters, but he’s the right guy for this year’s team.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Any word on who the backup might be tonight with Gaudreau still at Tampa's camp and Chartier hurt?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Not sure. Could be Gillis. Only other guy they have sort of. There's been literally nothing on Gaudreau. Not 1 single tweet about how he's looked, performed, interviews etc.

Been weird. Vasilevskiy suffering a major injury could be trouble. Moves everyone up a spot. Might give him an opportunity to take a spot somewhere (AHL/ECHL)

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Not sure. Could be Gillis. Only other guy they have sort of. There's been literally nothing on Gaudreau. Not 1 single tweet about how he's looked, performed, interviews etc.

Been weird. Vasilevskiy suffering a major injury could be trouble. Moves everyone up a spot. Might give him an opportunity to take a spot somewhere (AHL/ECHL)
Seems like that's the most likely choice. The guy I was wondering about is Trey Caraccilio, the 4th goalie from the black & white game. He's played really well with Kitchener-Waterloo in his first 2 GOJHL games. Maybe they bring him in as an AP this weekend

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Way named captain lol. Don't think you'll be seeing him moved. Sikic & Wainwright get As.

Pretty surprised Filak or MacDonald didn't get the C let alone a letter.

Congrats to those 3. Definitely can't question their work ethics & hopefully that can rub off on the younger guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
25-11-22
7-15-24
23-9-21
92-55-93

4-13
5-16
27-6

Surzcyia

Not a fan of the lines tbh! Doucette L1? Moses L2? Brown L3? Then a 4th line of 3 undersized rookies seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

D is fine. See if they can kick it off with a W!

Reactions: Jason M

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Not great injury news for the Sting to start the year. Carson Hall's right arm seen in a sling and Easton Wainwright comes out on crutches during the introductions

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Ha. Some idiot said he didn't like the lines.. They showed him by putting up an 8 spot! Just awesome stuff. Shaky first period but then they really settled down & took over.

Obviously, Windsor looked.. uhh not good putting it nicely, but still. We were going after them all game & it made them super uncomfortable.

Doucette 2G/1A, Vilmanis 3A. All over the ice they were. 25 has this in him just can he do it consistently. A. LeBlanc was awesome as was Filak & Sikic. Good to see from the vets.

Rookies came to play. Lominac 1G/1A, +2, Brown 1A, Hurt 1A, +2, Fischer 1G/1A, +2, Doherty 1A, +1. Barr was really solid on D. Thought Sim made a couple really nice plays that nearly resulted in a goal.

Then Surzcyia awesome in net, again. So many nice stops especially on the 7 PPs WSR got including two 5on3s & a 4 min PP. Until he falls off, if he does how can he not be our starter.

Fricken sucks Hall is hurt & as mentioned, probably for a bit since he was in a sling. That's 2 of what looked like our top 3 Cs going into the season.

Gonna be in tough tomorrow vs the mem cup hosts. They can score a ton. Be a real test for this young DCore & whoever is in net. But if we keep this effort level up we'll be in the game.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Great win.... the boys were flying... Surzycia was unreal I have no clue how he wasn't the first star... he needs to be our starter.... a lot of guys looked really good... Doucettes line looked amazing. I get it's just one game but a very nice way to start the year... build on this.. become a good team with a good work ethic and good habits.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Well, that was unexpected! I agree on Surzycia. He definitely should have been the first star. Faced so many high quality chances in the first three and a half minutes of the game. Could have easily been 3-0 or 4-0 without him in net. According to the OHL website, 16 of the 33 shots he faced tonight were dangerous. Those two saves he made at the end of the second were unreal! Vilmanis was the best skater out there. Had 3A and was on the puck all night long. Loved the way the team tightened up defensively as the game went on. Gave up 17 shots in the first period and then only gave up 16 shots in periods 2&3. I have to say though, I was pretty surprised at how bad Windsor looked. Most of their big guys like Abraham, Maillet, Peer, and Cristoforo weren't noticeable. One thing to clean up for the Sting is discipline. Can't be giving teams seven PPs a night and expect to win. A lot of penalties that came from them being too loose with their sticks. Really got bad in the third. They'll have to clean that up for tomorrow for their first big test of the year against Saginaw

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Be interesting to see who goes tomorrow in net. Chartier who only got a couple days of practice before this weekend or Surzcyia on a back to back after a fair amount of work tonight.

Wouldn't be mad either way, although I'd like to give Chartier a full week of practice or at least a few extra days & give him KIT.

Omeri who was listed as in yesterday didn't actually dress because they went with 12Fs. Wonder if he draws in for Hurt or Barr. I thought Hurt had a great game. I'm such a fan of his game. Barr, Fischer, Young, Omeri are a bit more flashy & exciting but I think this kid has serious potential in this league.

Just don't see many weaknesses. Solid size, solid skater, solid puck skills, likes to be physical. Was one shift where Greentree (who's a grade A skater & 1st RD level prospect) tried to go around him to the net & 72 perfectly defended it then stapled him into the boards. He'll have his bumps but looks like an absolute steal early on.

I loved that Letang really didn't shelter them. Thought he rolled all 3 pairs consistently. Sure it might be different in a super tight game, but he's been open that he's gonna play them & play them alot. He has trust in them which is great so early on.

Will say I talk so much about the rookies, but man does Fischer look fricken good out there. He has quite a shot, too. Easy to forget he's only 17 & joined mid season as a 16 yr old. Young's showing quite a nose for the net so far too lol. He sees ice and he sure does take it in a hurry.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Looks like same lines as yesterday except flip Omeri for Hurt. Surzcyia goes again. First period will be big. Home opener, bad loss last night & a ton of guys back from last year's playoff loss to us for Saginaw. They'll come out hot.

See how they handle it!

I am now realizing I've been spelling Surzycia' name wrong the entire time. Oh man. Lmao.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad