Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
In the event that Brind'amour becomes available, he'll have more appealing options than the Sharks. Whoever our next coach is knows going into the job that by the time the Sharks are ready to compete for a playoff spot, he likely won't be the coach anymore, which greatly reduces the field of potential candidates.

They'll fill the position before the draft.

I think fans forget that it's not that attractive to be the HC of the Sharks right now unless we shell out insane amount of money for the HC.

I just want a coach that knows how to develop our young prospects into superstars. Average span of Head Coaching jobs are so short, we'll likely need to replace this coach with a playoffs mastermind once we're a serious contender. Only then, the likes of Brind'amour would be attracted to come here.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I think fans forget that it's not that attractive to be the HC of the Sharks right now unless we shell out insane amount of money for the HC.

I just want a coach that knows how to develop our young prospects into superstars. Average span of Head Coaching jobs are so short, we'll likely need to replace this coach with a playoffs mastermind once we're a serious contender. Only then, the likes of Brind'amour would be attracted to come here.

Celebrini and the Sharks prospect pool might be something that appeals to Brind'Amour. Might. But, nevertheless, if there's rumblings that he will be canned after these playoffs (and maybe this week if Canes lose tonight), might as well wait until he's available and interview him if he wants an interview.

As to the bold, all the more reason to just name Ryan Warsofsky HC and be done with it.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I agree that it's not that attractive to be the HC of the Sharks right now but they should shell out insane amounts of money for coaching. They should invest as much where they can and that's one where they can invest however much they want. When you land a talent like Celebrini, you have to start spending to make the most out of a talent like that.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
The big difference being that when Marleau was drafted, he played right away. If Celebrini and Smith are college bound for another season, the motivation to do something like that probably lessens. Personally, I'd be calling up Bordeleau and Gushchin to play on different lines below Eklund's line, let Graf play in the AHL, and fill the rest of the lineup with vets. This also sort of depends on Couture's health. I would also make room for Mukhamadullin by trading Ferraro for value and eat another year of Vlasic's contract since we're clearly not improving under such a scenario.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Gushchin-Couture-Kostin
Bordeleau-Sturm-vet?
Smith-vet-vet

Someone like Duclair would be a good fit for that 3rd line winger spot in this scenario. I'd be okay with re-signing Bailey, Carpenter, and MacDonald to be on that 4th line. I may still take a shot at signing someone like Joshua or Stenlund since their term wouldn't be ugly and would bring some versatility to the bottom six which will need it if we're playing Gushchin and Bordeleau on separate lines.

Needs more Kunin... 🤢

Or you think he won't be tendered as an RFA? 4C slot works, Duc w/ Sturm and Bordy. I wouldn't mind seeing MacDonald in regular 4th line forward minutes either.

I do like the idea of seeing what Bordy and the Goose have for a somewhat stable role and linemates as much as possible at the NHL level. Assuming Willie and the Mac go back to school.

Gushchin-Couture-Kostin
Bordeleau-Sturm-Duclair
Smith-Kunin-Ol' MacDonald

Looks like a top five pick in the making.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I really wouldn't pencil Bordeleau or Gushchin into the lineup. Bordeleau isn't even signed yet and Gushchin could easily leave for the KHL if he doesn't make the team out of camp.

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Needs more Kunin... 🤢

Or you think he won't be tendered as an RFA? 4C slot works, Duc w/ Sturm and Bordy. I wouldn't mind seeing MacDonald in regular 4th line forward minutes either.

I do like the idea of seeing what Bordy and the Goose have for a somewhat stable role and linemates as much as possible at the NHL level. Assuming Willie and the Mac go back to school.

Gushchin-Couture-Kostin
Bordeleau-Sturm-Duclair
Smith-Kunin-Ol' MacDonald

Looks like a top five pick in the making.
I'm hoping they're smart enough to let Kunin walk but not expecting it.

I really wouldn't pencil Bordeleau or Gushchin into the lineup. Bordeleau isn't even signed yet and Gushchin could easily leave for the KHL if he doesn't make the team out of camp.
I'm only penciling Gushchin into the lineup under one scenario where Celebrini and Smith go back to college. If either come in, I suspect one of Bordeleau or Gushchin are dealt.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'm hoping they're smart enough to let Kunin walk but not expecting it.

I'm only penciling Gushchin into the lineup under one scenario where Celebrini and Smith go back to college. If either come in, I suspect one of Bordeleau or Gushchin are dealt.
Even if they both go back (which feels super unlikely) we should be bringing in solid vet forwards who can lead by example, play tough and handle defensive responsibilities. We need to replace the likes of Barabanov, Labanc and Hoffman with their polar opposites. Bordeleau and Gushchin don't fit the bill.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Even if they both go back (which feels super unlikely) we should be bringing in solid vet forwards who can lead by example, play tough and handle defensive responsibilities. We need to replace the likes of Barabanov, Labanc and Hoffman with their polar opposites. Bordeleau and Gushchin don't fit the bill.
How many kunins are you looking to pencil in?

At some point you have to give guys a chance to play or how can they ever become NHLers

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
How many kunins are you looking to pencil in?

At some point you have to give guys a chance to play or how can they ever become NHLers
As many as we can get! The Kunin hate is totally irrational. He's an ideal bottom six winger.

Nobody deserves a chance to play in the NHL. They have to earn it like Eklund did.

Put another way, if Bordeleau and Gushchin can't beat out the hordes of Kunins for a job, how good are they really?

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
As many as we can get! The Kunin hate is totally irrational. He's an ideal bottom six winger.

Nobody deserves a chance to play in the NHL. They have to earn it like Eklund did.

Put another way, if Bordeleau and Gushchin can't beat out the hordes of Kunins for a job, how good are they really?
In what way has Gush not earned a chance to play? He has done very well in the AHL on an awful barracuda team.

Kunin provides no value to any good team, and is the poster child of old boys club hockey.

I’m not arguing anyone should be gifted a spot, but they should have the opportunity to kick bad but older players out of their spots.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
In what way has Gush not earned a chance to play? He has done very well in the AHL on an awful barracuda team.

Kunin provides no value to any good team, and is the poster child of old boys club hockey.

I’m not arguing anyone should be gifted a spot, but they should have the opportunity to kick bad but older players out of their spots.
Look at some of the teams still playing right now. Miles Wood, Brandon Duhaime and Yakov Trenin on the Avs are all very similar players to Kunin. Basically the entire Bruins bottom six is a bunch of Kunins. Cuylle, Kakko, Goodrow on the Rangers. Martinook on the Canes. "Old boys club hockey" is still around because it works. As long as hockey remains a physical and emotional sport you will always need Kunins in your bottom six.

Gush is a liability without the puck which severely limits the amount of minutes any NHL coach will entrust him with. We have vastly superior forward prospects in the system now, there's no need to try and make it work with him.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist

Maybe that's why DQ got shitcanned for playing Kunin above the 4th line.

If Kunin can be kept where he's useful (FOURTH LINE ONLY) then great, but I'd rather see Goose and Bordy playing on scoring lines w/o Kunin being on them.

Did Eklund earn it by putitng up with having Kunin on his line?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

I mean, his whole schtick is that anything DW/DW jr. did is bad and so he actively roots for anyone drafted by them to fail. It's weird and I don't know why people haven't noticed it by now. It's one of the things that's really made me lose interest in roster discussions around here.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There will still be plenty of spots to bring in vets to do things like that but it isn't necessary to replace those two with that because you still need wingers that have hands. The problem with Hoffman and Labanc is that they don't have the hands to handle the grenades coming from the blue line. Barabanov did to some degree. Gushchin does. Bordeleau does in spots. I think both can improve with regular experience and in a year that's going to be a lost year under that scenario, there's nothing wrong with trying to develop them further and see if there's something there or can develop trade value.

But if you're making the argument that they should do that to further solidify their draft positioning for next season, that's certainly a way to do it. Tough defensive wingers won't have the hands to improve the puck management aspect of things that was the team's biggest issue. If you want to have a group full of Kunins, it'll further what the team was this past season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Look at some of the teams still playing right now. Miles Wood, Brandon Duhaime and Yakov Trenin on the Avs are all very similar players to Kunin. Basically the entire Bruins bottom six is a bunch of Kunins. Cuylle, Kakko, Goodrow on the Rangers. Martinook on the Canes. "Old boys club hockey" is still around because it works. As long as hockey remains a physical and emotional sport you will always need Kunins in your bottom six.

Gush is a liability without the puck which severely limits the amount of minutes any NHL coach will entrust him with. We have vastly superior forward prospects in the system now, there's no need to try and make it work with him.
I think you're reaching quite a bit comparing those players to Kunin for many different reasons. Kunin is an ideal 4th liner in what he brings to the ice but not worth his QO. And if the league views him like you do, they should find someone to give them something for him.

Gush is not a liability w/o the puck but he is soft defensively. But since he's a scoring winger, that doesn't have to matter for a team that's going to lose a lot more games in that scenario. We don't have vastly superior forward prospects ready for the NHL next season and I want wingers that actually can handle the puck regularly...something Kunin can't do.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I mean, his whole schtick is that anything DW/DW jr. did is bad and so he actively roots for anyone drafted by them to fail. It's weird and I don't know why people haven't noticed it by now. It's one of the things that's really made me lose interest in roster discussions around here.
I want to believe there is some reason behind it, but I think I should give up on getting any kind of nuanced take as it just never arrives.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yeah I despise William Eklund and am actively rooting him for to fail.

Some of you just can't accept that the prospects you overhyped for years are all busts.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I want to believe there is some reason behind it, but I think I should give up on getting any kind of nuanced take as it just never arrives.
Maybe the reason behind it is that every move DW made from at least 2016 onwards has proven to be a spectacular failure?

Vlasic, Jones, Burns and Couture extensions, the Kane contract, the Karlsson trade and contract, letting Pavelski walk for nothing, extending Hertl instead of trading him...every major decision the previous regime made in its final 5 years turned out to be catastrophic errors that brought the Sharks to the lowest point in franchise history.

Even the minor moves and draft picks that were hailed at the time - Barabanov, Goodrow, Dahlen, Hill, Labanc's 1x1 followed up with an albatross, a 3-year run of Merkley, Kniazev and Wiesblatt as our top draft pick - have all culminated in exactly zero value to the franchise apart from the 4th we got for Hill.

Some of you act like I had a preexisting personal grievance against DW and his son. No, I just look at the facts and the facts are that they ruined my ability to enjoy watching the Sharks for at least a decade. Frankly I'm surprised more fans don't hate them for it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Maybe the reason behind it is that every move DW made from at least 2016 onwards has proven to be a spectacular failure?

Vlasic, Jones, Burns and Couture extensions, the Kane contract, the Karlsson trade and contract, letting Pavelski walk for nothing, extending Hertl instead of trading him...every major decision the previous regime made in its final 5 years turned out to be catastrophic errors that brought the Sharks to the lowest point in franchise history.

Even the minor moves and draft picks that were hailed at the time - Barabanov, Goodrow, Dahlen, Hill, Labanc's 1x1 followed up with an albatross, a 3-year run of Merkley, Kniazev and Wiesblatt as our top draft pick - have all culminated in exactly zero value to the franchise apart from the 4th we got for Hill.

Some of you act like I had a preexisting personal grievance against DW and his son. No, I just look at the facts and the facts are that they ruined my ability to enjoy watching the Sharks for at least a decade. Frankly I'm surprised more fans don't hate them for it.
The vast majority of us agree with these takes. But what’s the point of belaboring the issue? What’s done is done, move on. Don’t go into random threads acting like trading Linus Karlsson for Dahlen was some horrible misstep.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The vast majority of us agree with these takes. But what’s the point of belaboring the issue? What’s done is done, move on. Don’t go into random threads acting like trading Linus Karlsson for Dahlen was some horrible misstep.
I never said that particular trade was a horrible misstep but it is remarkable how much Sharks and Canucks fans alike clowned on Benning for getting fleeced when Dahlen turned out to be completely worthless. Karlsson may end up being the same but it's a reminder that teams know their own prospects better than anyone else and typically give up on them for good reasons.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't care about any of this as it relates to Bordeleau and Gushchin. Those two will or won't stand on their own merits and I believe the two of them should get an opportunity in the NHL somewhere.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I never said that particular trade was a horrible misstep but it is remarkable how much Sharks and Canucks fans alike clowned on Benning for getting fleeced when Dahlen turned out to be completely worthless. Karlsson may end up being the same but it's a reminder that teams know their own prospects better than anyone else and typically give up on them for good reasons.
But why bring it up? Who cares? Sure, we were wrong, but we’re just fans. It’s not like DW is reading this, so what’s the point of grandstanding?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
But why bring it up? Who cares? Sure, we were wrong, but we’re just fans. It’s not like DW is reading this, so what’s the point of grandstanding?
I called out most of these moves for being stupid as they happened and was deemed a hater. Of course I'm going to point it out when I've been proven correct. If that makes me petty so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad