Speculation: Next head coach of the San Jose Sharks

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Weather and MC are two aspects other teams cannot offer.

Berube was top candidate for a few other teams, a couple of which have named new HCs. There's still like half a dozen without top guy.

Rumored candidates include:

Jay Woodcroft, former Sharks AC
Jay Leach, former Sharks player, previously interviewed for position (but HC on his team fired)
Todd Nelson, dark horse
Marco Sturm former Sharks player (AHL team advanced to 2nd round)
Halperin (per Friedman)
Dean Evanson, former Sharks player

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Gallant or Carle. No one else interests me.

Gallant for his undeniable track record of taking losers and making them winners, even with the red flag that he seems to get canned every 2-3 years.

Carle for his defensive coaching. D is obviously the biggest disaster for the sharks and DU under Carle shut down both Smith and Celebrini. Has the sharks connection in matt Carle who the sharks drafted and who played here for a little while. Also obviously knows how to coach youth.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Do not want Gallant. He can sure motivate people but I don't think he's sharp tactically. I assume this is the coach that will be gone when we're on the upswing so why bother with the all in style coach.

I'd be happy with a solid defensive structure approach with good special teams.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Mandate from new HC is to develop Celebrini, Smith, Eklund and other young prospects. Create structure. Grier has to figure out how to create a team that will enable the HC to do that. Hard to create and then maintain a commitment to that structure when you win 1/4 of your games. That’s the balance when your top prospects crack the nhl lineup but still need to build the pipeline of talent.

Reactions: Munnyro

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I would love to see a slightly off-the-board pick for a "development" head coach, maybe with one or more veteran assistants who don't want the big job. If we figure whoever gets hired isn't going to be there when the team is good, why not go with a guy who needs a shot to prove himself?

If you can get an associate coach to do what Larry Robinson did when he was here, there's no harm in my eyes hiring somebody like Marco Sturm or Joel Ward for the HC job just to see if they're any good in the big chair. Bonus points for those two guys would be that hiring them away makes the Kings or Knights organizations worse :naughty:

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
With Celebrini, I can sort of see them going either way: Carle seems kind of ideal, he's going to know how to get the most out of these kids. On the other hand, a really experienced NHL coach might be tempting, particularly with so many young kids coming in. But whoever it is needs to be a development-first guy.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I think they should hire Carle with a carve out that he can still coach the WJ team. Smith and Musty can play on it even if in the NHL. Hell let Celebrini play as well and the Sharks can really market it as their tournament with so many prospects playing in it.

I don’t think Carle will coach in the NHL without being able to still coach the WJ team.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Give Warsofsky a shot with the young guys and see what happens for a couple years. We're going to need another coach when we're actually ready to compete anyway. Hopefully by then we'll have a roster that could entice someone like Carle to come to the NHL.

Reactions: ChompChomp and DG93

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If Brind'Amour is on the market, Grier ought to exhaust that option before any other option. He's the best coach potentially available at this stage, imo. I see no better way to bring Celebrini into this league on our team than having Brind'Amour coach him. Success as a player and as a coach makes it easier for him to be credible in the eyes of talented kids we're trying to develop.

Reactions: WSS11 and Jargon

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Give Warsofsky a shot with the young guys and see what happens for a couple years. We're going to need another coach when we're actually ready to compete anyway. Hopefully by then we'll have a roster that could entice someone like Carle to come to the NHL.

Or Warsofsky proves to be the next Jon Cooper and we are set for a long time at HC. Win/Win.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
If Brind'Amour is on the market, Grier ought to exhaust that option before any other option. He's the best coach potentially available at this stage, imo. I see no better way to bring Celebrini into this league on our team than having Brind'Amour coach him. Success as a player and as a coach makes it easier for him to be credible in the eyes of talented kids we're trying to develop.

If there was a 0% chance that he’d come coach before Celebrini, I can imagine with a huge shiny contract + getting to coach a team full of exciting prospects might actually bring our changes closer to 15%**.

**percentages entirely made up based on virtually no facts

• Haha
Reactions: Bartcal and 209

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
TML fire Keefe. So another potential candidate.
I’d be interested to see Keefe with a properly constructed roster. The Leafs have always been so top heavy and never seemed to focus on the D as much as they should have. Assuming Grier builds this team the right way it might not be a bad hire honestly. Either way, I think at the very least he should be interviewed, for the sake of due diligence and all.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I still think the next HC will be Ryan Warsofsky, so whenever someone becomes available, like Keefe, I think about whether Keefe is better than Warsofsky for this team.

I agree with others that Keefe should get another shot in the NHL, but with a non-rebuilding team. He's a good coach. Every other opening than the Sharks (to date) presents a better opportunity for Keefe than SJ. He'll get hired by a non-Sharks team, for sure. But he's not a fit for the Sharks and their timetable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad