qkPD1.jpg

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
What I might do.

5 on 5 for 3 periods
then 4 on 4 for 2 periods
then 3 on 3 for 1 period
then shootout

I think most people get tired after the first 3 periods of OT then go to bed and wait for the morning for the results.

But honestly, I love infinite 5 on 5 sudden death.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
1. Playoffs: Decrease the OT period to 10 minutes, then a shootout. IMO, I think that this is will make OT games end earlier rather than continuous OT in the playoffs.

2. Should the OT periods have 3 on 3, 4 on 4, or regular 5 on 5 hockey?

3. When you realize that an OT goal won't end the game (regular season or playoffs) only the period length will? We've all seen 2-3 goals scored in a minute, so why not? An increase from 5 to 10 minutes may help as well.

There is no way in hell you are a hockey fan.

This must be a troll post. One that isn't funny at all either.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Shootouts show a player's 1 v 1 skill: Shooter vs. Goalie

I'd like to see some dekes & magic in the playoffs, even though most goals are directed shots on net, deflected or not. Breakaways don't happen as often and the players have think on their feet because you can take your time on a shootout rather than a breakaway, which may or may not lead to a goal being scored.

Last edited:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Just settle overtime like they used to do in old time hockey. By playing Fortnight.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
What do you think about the coaches playing one on one to settle the OT playoff game?

Here's the twist: They have to wear the opponent's jersey.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Shootouts show a player's 1 v 1 skill: Shooter vs. Goalie

I'd like to see some dekes & magic in the playoffs, even though most goals direct shots on net, deflected or not. Breakaways don't happen as often and the players have think on their feet because you can take your time on a shootout rather than a breakaway, which may or may not lead to a goal being scored.
you should quit while your wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy behind.

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
Even back in the 90s when there were a ton of ties I always said there should be 10 min overtime periods instead of 5. There would still be ties but not as many.

I will always hate the shootout. Unearned breakaways should never decide wins/losses.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Can you imagine game 7 of the SCF being determined by a shootout? I hate that it happens during game 7 of the regular season, I can't imagine battling through 82 regular season games and 20+ playoff games just to have the Cup awarded to the winner of a skills competition.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Only been in the NFL thread, but did you also propose baseball, basketball and soccer change their OT's as well?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
1) change regular season OT so that it's 3v3 until someone scores. no more shootout
2) keep playoff overtime the same forever. it's perfect
This. Unplug the clock and throw 6 guys on the ice until someone scores. This isn't 5 on 5 where it's going to go for hours. I can't imagine a game going longer than 10-15 minutes if the players know the game isn't going to a shootout if they just hang on for a few minutes.

Reactions: Mandar

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There just aren't that many people complaining about OT in the playoffs. Even the PA doesn't care if a game goes on for 5 or 6 full periods starting about mid-April.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Worst ideas ever. There is only one thing that is not wrong with NHL hockey and that's the playoff overtime format.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I'm not someone who hates the shootout in the regular season, it's not ideal but continuous OT isn't on the table and ties are the f***ing worst, so...lesser of three evils.

But playoff OT is sacred, and suggesting it may need changed is sacrilege.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad