New NHL Overtime Proposal?

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
1. Playoffs: Decrease the OT period to 10 minutes, then a shootout. IMO, I think that this is will make OT games end earlier rather than continuous OT in the playoffs.

2. Should the OT periods have 3 on 3, 4 on 4, or regular 5 on 5 hockey?

3. When you realize that an OT goal won't end the game (regular season or playoffs) only the period length will? We've all seen 2-3 goals scored in a minute, so why not? An increase from 5 to 10 minutes may help as well.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
turrible.png

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
It takes a toll on their energy during the playoffs when they play almost a another half or full length game of OT in the playoffs, so why not decrease the length of these games by adding a shootout after only 1 OT period? I know that they're in shape and can handle the extra playing time, but I'm not sure why shootouts in the playoffs are a such bad idea, along with 3 v 3 or 4 v 4? If penalty shots work with soccer, then why not in hockey? On an extra note, players & goalies are already under a lot of pressure in any playoff setting, so adding shootouts shouldn't be a big deal?

Aug 3, 2010
It takes a toll on their energy during the playoffs when they play almost a another half or full length game of OT in the playoffs, so why not decrease the length of these games by adding a shootout after only 1 OT period? I know that they're in shape and can handle extra playing time, but I'm not sure why shootouts in the playoffs are a such bad idea, along with 3 v 3 or 4 v 4? If penalty shots work with soccer, then why not in hockey? On an extra note, players & goalies are already under a lot of pressure in any playoff setting, so adding shootouts shouldn't be a big deal?
Here's the thing.
It's not that you're entirely wrong in thinking the way you do. You have some logical points.

But shootouts, 3v3, and 4v4, is barely hockey. Shootouts (penalty shots), 3v3, and 4v4 are incredibly specialized parts of the whole game that we refer to as ice hockey.

So why should any hockey game, played within its general entirety as a 5v5 team game (with 3 forwards, 2 defencemen, and 1 goalie on the ice), be decided via a lesser version of itself, let alone post-season games? Why bother playing the game at all at 5v5 for 60 minutes when it can be decided at 1v1?

Considering more than the just the endgame and seeing the picture as a whole, it's like saying MMA fights should be decided by thumb wars.

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
Probably because no one wants that the Stanley Cup winner is decided by a shootout.
I obviously wouldn't mind it, but just think about it:

The game is on Datsyuk's stick, and he beats the goalie on a pretty slick deke which clinches the cup for Detroit.

It would also be funny if Bettman actually considered this idea, but knowing him, he may or may not.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Playing until there's a winner is the simplest solution that everyone wants to see.

I understand why that's problematic in the regular season, but there's no reason to change the playoffs.

Reactions: Last Gleaming

Last Gleaming

Jul 21, 2013
Teams know full well going into a playoff game that it'll continue until there's a winner. If they're that concerned about fatigue, they should adjust their approach to try for more frequent offensive chances during the overtime. But I don't think coaches and teams really worry about much other than getting the W. And, 5v5 is so much more visually interesting than the short-sided and shootout formats.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I’d actually rather have the NHL declare a winner in OT to the team that had more shots on goal than go to a shootout....and the more shots on goal idea is stupid.

Reactions: Big Cactus

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
One idea that might be prudent is after say two or three overime periods to have any subsequent periods be for 10 minutes only while increasing the breaks between periods to allow for more rest. But no to the idea of shootouts in the playoffs. No to 3v3. Or even 4v4.

I really don't like 3v3 hockey, it barely feels like hockey and I want them to go to 4v4 in the regular season.

Reactions: triggrman

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
3v3 or 4v4 ot until a goal is scored. Goal scored counts as points for the players. Remove shootout and just have periods of OT. Maybe 1 20min ot of 4v4 and if no goal is scored 3v3 until one is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad