New NHL Overtime Proposal?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
It should go to a twerk off of the captains after 60 minutes.

#GiveTheFansWhatTheyWant

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
1) Keep playoff OT 5v5 until a goal is scored. Don't touch it.

2) I think way more regular season games would end in OT (compared to the shootout) if you forbid the attacking team from bringing the puck back out of the attacking zone and regrouping. Force them to attempt a shot. They likely either score or the other team has a rush going the other way.

If the puck is intentionally brought outside of the zone, it's treated like an icing. No change for the offending team and they have a draw in their own zone. (You could find a way to ensure the other team automatically gets possession since that's the best reward in OT - but that would involve changing a lot).

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
1) Keep playoff OT 5v5 until a goal is scored. Don't touch it.

2) I think most regular season games would end in OT if you forbid the attacking team from bringing the puck back out of the attacking zone and regrouping. Force them to attempt a shot. They likely either score or the other team has a rush going the other way.
There are fundamental issues with the sport if you have to implement #2. In this case, NHL ice is just too big for 3 skaters per side. Go back to 4v4.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
There are fundamental issues with the sport if you have to implement #2. In this case, NHL ice is just too big for 3 skaters per side. Go back to 4v4.
That's not going to result in fewer games being decided in the shootout, which would be the point of changing things.

Reactions: nturn06

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
1. Playoffs: Decrease the OT period to 10 minutes, then a shootout. IMO, I think that this is will make OT games end earlier rather than continuous OT in the playoffs.

2. Should the OT periods have 3 on 3, 4 on 4, or regular 5 on 5 hockey?

3. When you realize that an OT goal won't end the game (regular season or playoffs) only the period length will? We've all seen 2-3 goals scored in a minute, so why not? An increase from 5 to 10 minutes may help as well.
1. Whhhhat 10mins OT and then a Shoot out? are you mad?

2. 5v5 the only option

3. every OT in the playoffs ends with a goal and it just goes on and on and on till one is. I dont care if there's 20 periods

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
You know, after looking back at my older content, I'm not sure why I even thought of this *stupid* idea, I must've been bored at the time and created a random thread, but I've always liked playoff hockey over the regular season, along with appreciating overtime whenever it happened, even though continuous overtime is what we all like to see rather than a shootout...
I hate that you bumped this more that the original idea.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
How about this!?:

1) OT is 5-on-5 for 20 minutes, but for every additional OT beyond the first extra frame both teams add another player, so it’s 6-on-6 in OT2; 7-on-7 in OT3; etc, etc

2) When fights inevitably happen, whoever loses the fight is unceremoniously dragged to the penalty box by the ref while the winner continues play immediately, ala Blades of Steel, thus opening up never-before-seen possibilities on resulting PPs

3) Goalies are allowed to cross center ice and stack the pads in a slide maneuver, allowing teammates to fire redirectional slap shots to this spicy new extra attacker—if an OT goal is scored in this fashion, the team that allowed the goal is eliminated immediately

4) Extra pucks on the ice once the clock strikes midnight local time

5) If the game goes into a 6th OT, play shall continue even as the zambonis are deployed—if a goal is scored into a net that was moved by the zamboni then it doesn’t count, obviously, because that would be ridiculous

Reactions: Bizz

Shinjuku Calling

Jun 20, 2017
1. Playoffs: Decrease the OT period to 10 minutes, then a shootout. IMO, I think that this is will make OT games end earlier rather than continuous OT in the playoffs.

3. When you realize that an OT goal won't end the game (regular season or playoffs) only the period length will? We've all seen 2-3 goals scored in a minute, so why not? An increase from 5 to 10 minutes may help as well.
Never post again

Reactions: Bizz

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Zero changes to Playoff OTs.

In fact Regular Season OT should be no different than Playoff OT. 5v5. Play till someone scores. I don't care if games have to be played overnight with 20 OTs. Either that or bring back ties.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Who the hell is asking for OT games to end early? Long ass OTs are like a rite of passage for hockey fans, everyone needs to experience one of those games.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Here’s my final answer for regular season OT.

One team starts with a 5 on 4 PP. If they score within 2:00, the other team has to score a goal quicker than the first team did to win. If the short handed team scores, they automatically win.

After 2:00 and no goals, the team short handed gets to go on the PP. they score, they win. The shorthanded team scores, they win.

If neither team scores, repeat the above steps continually with a 5 on 3 PP until the tie is broke.

The team that has the most shots gets to pick being on the PP or shorthanded.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

f*** all of this.

The day they change continuous overtime in the playoffs is the day I stop watching the NHL.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
If you want to kill the NHL, implement that format. The current regular season OT sucks so does the shootout. Absolutely no to changing the playoff OT.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
TT5e.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad