Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Let's give some credit to Wotherspoon. A defenseman can't play that aggressive unless his partner has him covered on the blueline. wotherspoon being a good stay at home D is giving Lohrei the space he needs to stretch his wings.

This is a great young pairing we have growing up on the team right now. I kinda hope we keep 'em together for awhile because they compliment each other nicely. Because Wotherspoon is Wotherspoon, Lohrei can go be Lohrei. It works very, very well.
Great thought if Lohrei was paired with Wotherspoon. But he isn't - he's paired with McAvoy or Carlo. He's logged under 10 minutes with Wotherspoon in the playoffs so far.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Bruins keep pumping out quality NHL'ers from their developmental teams despite being ranked in the lower tier of prospect rankings by experts year after year.

Lol, I was going to comment on a main board poster's question of "Who the hell is mason lorhei and justin brazeau and john beecher? if this website didn't have a epileptic seizure every 10 seconds ; "You don't know who they are because Red Line and the Athletic are nothing more than fantasy rags"

Don Sweeeney and co know what's up

It's why fans of other teams are clawing their eyes out wondering why the bruins are still pushing for a cup when they thought they'd be a lottery team after chara, then rask, then krejci, then bergeron and krejci, all retired

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Bruins keep pumping out quality NHL'ers from their developmental teams despite being ranked in the lower tier of prospect rankings by experts year after year.
Team Pronwheeler eternally shamed.

Reactions: CDJ

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yes, I was nervous when they put him in last series. His first game was fine, and he's improved greatly upon each game since. One of my favorite players thus far in the post season

Reactions: pearljamvs5

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Great thought if Lohrei was paired with Wotherspoon. But he isn't - he's paired with McAvoy or Carlo. He's logged under 10 minutes with Wotherspoon in the playoffs so far.
Dammit I saw Wotherspoon with Lohrei a couple times and they seemed to click really well. thought they were a pairing.

They moved together very well when they were both on the ice and generated a lot of energy and shots on goal. If they really only had 10 minutes on ice together they sure made the most of it last night!

I stand by what I say about those two having chemistry, I honestly thought Wotherspoon was a mid pairing Dman.

Definitely want to see more of those two on the ice together.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Donny Tingle

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Lohrei looks really good. Do you guys expect he'll quarterback the PP next year?

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
The crazy thing is even with him being a bit raw, he's excelling at things that that you either can't teach or takes years to develop (soft hands, sniping ability, possession confidence, using your size effectively and skating mobility). He needs a bit of work defensively, which should only get better with more ice time and special teams use, but not an amount that takes years etc.
Kid is a bona-fide trending 1A/1B/2A PPQB type in my opinion.
We shall see.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The crazy thing is even with him being a bit raw, he's excelling at things that that you either can't teach or takes years to develop (soft hands, sniping ability, possession confidence, using your size effectively and skating mobility). He needs a bit of work defensively, which should only get better with more ice time and special teams use, but not an amount that takes years etc.
Kid is a bona-fide trending 1A/1B/2A PPQB type in my opinion.
We shall see.
Hoping.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

SUNRISE, Fla. — Mason Lohrei saw nothing but sad faces.
As the Bruins rookie glided into celly mode following his first career playoff goal in Monday’s 5-1 win over the Panthers, he looked through the glass with a wide smile but saw only frowns looking back at Amerant Bank Arena.

“I was pumped when I scored, and then we’re on the road, so no one else is pumped,” Lohrei said with a light laugh.

He wasn’t alone for long, however, as he was mobbed by his teammates for what turned out to be the winning goal.

“Spoons made a great play. Poised the blue line. Got it down to me,” said Lohrei. “I had some space, got my head up. Pasta was on the back door, and I think that kind of made the goalie go down a little. So I just took that space up top.”

It was the latest highlight in a season of big moments for Lohrei, who improved during every callup from Providence and is playing with more and more confidence with every shift.

“I just think that the way he’s handled the Stanley Cup playoffs, the emotion of it, the intensity of it, I think it has propelled him,” coach Jim Montgomery said Tuesday morning. “He’s an extremely competitive player. It may not show in the physicality way he plays, but it shows with his poise with the puck.

“There’s different ways to be intense. He wants the puck, and that’s an intensity that you have to have: players that want the puck in big moments, and you’ve got to have players that want to check in big moments.”

Lohrei was inserted into the lineup in Game 3 against the Maple Leafs and has become a more responsible defender while keeping his offensive flair.

we go here, I feel like I’m getting more confident, more comfortable,” he said. “Marchy’s been great with me, kind of just letting me know my value and keeping me in the right frame of mind. So it’s been fun and I just want to keep it going.”

Charlie McAvoy, who alternates playing with Lohrei and Hampus Lindholm depending on matchups, has enjoyed watching Lohrei come into his own.

“It looks like he’s sort of finding his stride as we go,” McAvoy said. “I know that he’s a confident kid, but he showed a lot of maturity playing in the playoffs and some of the situations that he’s been in, and he’s really thrived.

“He’s flourished, and I think now you’re seeing, he’s starting to feel a little more comfortable and he can make special plays like he did a couple times last night, so just want to keep encouraging him and supporting him in whatever way we can and look forward to him growing.”

Lohrei’s flair with the puck is obvious. He has a bevy of moves and will catch defenders off-guard with his quick change-of-direction skills, his ability to shield with his reach, or with some Houdini-like trickery such as sliding the puck between his legs and racing around a defender.

takes a special level of confidence to even attempt those moves and an enormous amount of talent to pull them off.

Sometimes coaches will have their hearts in their throats when a player — especially a rookie — tries a unique move. That’s not the case when Montgomery is watching his guys, including his 6-foot-5-inch defenseman.

“No,” said the coach. “I get excited when Pasta does it and Marchy does some of those moves, too, and I’m just like, ‘I never would’ve thought of doing something like that.’

“And it’s like you have to have the poise and the creativity and the confidence to try something.”

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
That's because one of the best things for a developing young hockey player is to come into a team with an established identity where you know your role and your place on the team and know how to fit in with your peers so you can just get on with the learning-hockey bits.

The legacy that Chara and Bergeron left us was of a roster of players that holds each other accountable and ensures that the new additions toe the line. That, and the roster is constructed with a thoroughly consistent philosophy that is rarely if ever deviated from. We know how we intend to win games, which is by limiting opposing offensive chances and scoring on the counterattack. We've been doing it for a decade now and achieving way above average results with it. No need to overthink it now.

the Bruins under current management are one of the best run teams in the league. We don't always get to the top but we're always on the mountain somewhere and that goes back to identity and accountability both on and off the ice.

Reactions: BruinDust

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad