Player Discussion Mason Lohrei

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
LARRY ROBINSON

I know that's a really high bar, but I've been around for a while and I saw Larry play many times. Mason is not there yet, but it's a valid comparison.

"Big Bird" was 6-4, 225lb. Mason is still only 211 and is skinny. Wait until he fills out with his full man strength.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
it's wild how good this kid has a chance to be. still so raw and all the minor issues with his game are coachable things.
the confidence/size/skill package is immense. this team's top 4 going forward is pretty nasty.
Infront of young duo of Swayman & Bussi will allow the Bruins continually be north of 100 points and in the playoffs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wanted Lohrei, Beecher and Poitras all on the roster in these playoffs. Instead we get Brazeau and no Poitras.

Paying serious dividends. Lohrei makes shit happen. I don't know how he's so confident on this kind of a stage so early into his career.

What an absolute steal of a pick.
His father is a ushl coach

He lived most of his hockey life as a 5’8 skilled winger/ forward

Spent the last third as a 6’4 defenseman

He’s clearly got forward DNA in him

Very poised

Bruins defense should be ass-kicking

LARRY ROBINSON

I know that's a really high bar, but I've been around for a while and I saw Larry play many times. Mason is not there yet, but it's a valid comparison.

"Big Bird" was 6-4, 225lb. Mason is still only 211 and is skinny. Wait until he fills out with his full man strength.
You are brilliant - great assessment

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
His father is a ushl coach

He lived most of his hockey life as a 5’8 skilled winger/ forward

Spent the last third as a 6’4 defenseman

He’s clearly got forward DNA in him

Very poised

Bruins defense should be ass-kicking

You are brilliant - great assessment
Excellent except one thing.Larry could really fight.

Infront of young duo of Swayman & Bussi will allow the Bruins continually be north of 100 points and in the playoffs
Yup

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This might be a lofty comparison but I see shades of Quinn Hughes if Hughes was 6'5 with a condor-like wingspan. Hughes is probably a better passer (he's the best passer in the game IMO), but the poise, the footwork, the smoothness, are all very similar. It's a treat to watch.

Gifu

Dec 17, 2021
How many people remember their own thoughts when the Bruins announced their pick was Mason Lohrei?

I remember that many were quite disappointed by this previously surprising choice.

Now, almost 4 years later, those thoughts are mostly laughable. A reminder to myself that maybe you should always look a few years before saying anything.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Imagine wanting more minutes for a rookie dman in the playoffs. LowRider was looking for more offense.
Let's give some credit to Wotherspoon. A defenseman can't play that aggressive unless his partner has him covered on the blueline. wotherspoon being a good stay at home D is giving Lohrei the space he needs to stretch his wings.

This is a great young pairing we have growing up on the team right now. I kinda hope we keep 'em together for awhile because they compliment each other nicely. Because Wotherspoon is Wotherspoon, Lohrei can go be Lohrei. It works very, very well.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I really like Lohrei but I feel like some, mostly the media, need to pump the breaks a bit when it comes to his future. It is certainly bright but lets let this series play out to see if his improvement continues. He will be a target now and if he can weather that storm. I am confident he can but I need to see it.

Reactions: bme44

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
I really like Lohrei but I feel like some, mostly the media, need to pump the breaks a bit when it comes to his future. It is certainly bright but lets let this series play out to see if his improvement continues. He will be a target now and if he can weather that storm. I am confident he can but I need to see it.
When youre the first Louisiana born player to go high on Bob like Lohrei did, its easy to get a bit ahead of yourself.

Reactions: Coach Parker

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
DOM was so very right! So glad the bruins didn't trade HighRise for "out of the playoffs" Hanifen.

Anyone with me??? HighRise for nickname??
Lots of people didn't want that trade to happen, Henifen is so overrated is stupid.

I doubt the Bruins ever considered it, IF it was even a legit opportunity

Reactions: Blowfish

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Mason looks so friggin' young like he should be playing a part in the school play. Instead he's receiving rave reviews in a Top Shelf production called the Stanley Cup playoffs. What a job by the talent scouts.

1715092195640.png
1715092236514.png

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad