Series Discussion: Leafs or Canadiens.....who would you rather?

Who do you prefer for next round?

• Leafs

• Canadiens

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
It feels odd to me to root for one team, while at the same time throwing shade on them that 'we are better'. What kind of jerk does that? Sports fans, that's who! ;) So I will say Habs.

Also I sometimes think in the 'worst case' scenario. If we lose the next round, who would I rather see go forward? Leafs or Habs? Habs, definitely. The pain on TSN would be delicious.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If Montreal does win the sad fact will be Winnipeg will be the only team without fans.

I think the Jets best chance of winning games / series this year is to NOT have fans.
I honestly think things go differently in games 3 & 4 if we had fans.
Something about the those empty arenas that lends itself to helping a team to play the system and style that we are.

Look at the losing streak that we had in front of the White Out.
It's sad but the crazier our home crowds are the worse our boys play.

PLUS... I would want to puke at the amount of Leafs or Habs fans that would be in attendance at these games.

Better to enjoy the silence and potential wins then the scene and results that a live crowd would produce.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I would want to puke at the amount of Leafs or Habs fans that would be in attendance at these games.

This has merit, but one can also consider it to be a vibe. Winnipeg Jets' fans will not soon outlive the impact of 50 years of HNIC featuring habs and tranna games. :baghead:

The extreme opposite scenario, which is actually more revolting, is here:

Lightning dump jersey policy after viral video with fan

Lightning to retire jersey policy after flap with Florida fan

I recall f*** Vegas pulling this stuff on a Jets fan as well! Not a good look.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Montreal -1.5 is paying +425 on Bodog. Think they could get the empty netter?

m.

Reactions: GNP

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
I think after sweeping the Oilers, the overconfidence of the Jets players will be our biggest hurdle in the second round... won’t skate as fast, will try dumb fancy plays, make risky passes, won’t play as physical... regardless who we play, I’m fully expecting the Jets to be beaten soundly in game 1 and once we are behind, panic and anxiety will set in and the players will make more mistakes and more mistakes
There has been quite literally not a single word from the Jets that would indicate overconfidence

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
This has merit, but one can also consider it to be a vibe. Winnipeg Jets' fans will not soon outlive the impact of 50 years of HNIC featuring habs and tranna games. :baghead:

The extreme opposite scenario, which is actually more revolting, is here:

Lightning dump jersey policy after viral video with fan

Lightning to retire jersey policy after flap with Florida fan

I recall f*** Vegas pulling this stuff on a Jets fan as well! Not a good look.

It should be a league wide directive.
If some kid idolized a player and gets to see them play they should be able to wear it proudly, regardless of arena or seats.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
It should be a league wide directive.
If some kid idolized a player and gets to see them play they should be able to wear it proudly, regardless of arena or seats.
You can't grow the game and not let kids have favourite players across the league...

Reactions: kanadalainen

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Best part is ~7 minute mark - "I don't care what I'm getting paid [to do the reaction broadcasts] - I'M MISERABLE!" I tend to skip through these because they're a bit redundant.

He was talking about having 45K people watching his stream concurrently. How many of those were Leaf haters joining in the 3rd period to watch the meltdown.

I get frustrated with the Leaf fans on HF and always forget about the millions of their fans who are level headed and have had to deal with being made fun of for decades. There are a few at work and I feel bad for them every year when their team melts down. Every one of them were super supportive of the Jets when they went to the conference final.

I left Canada for work a couple years before the Jets left and was unable to watch hockey at all.
However, between around 98 (when I got NASN from Sky TV in the UK who showed HNIC every week and throughout the playoffs, so Leafs basically) and until the Jets returned I was a diehard Leaf fan. I took a lot of abuse for it when I returned to Canada around 2004.
As a Leaf fan you are sort of oblivious of the media bias and I only noticed it once I switched alliance to the Jets on May 31st.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I keep going back and forth on who I rather have the Jets play. I finally went with the habs . Between them and the leafs, I rather have the leafs being the guaranteed team not to go deep and go further than the Jets. I could stomach us getting out goalied by Price more than Mathews being made a patron saint if the Leafs win it all.

And its not like Campbell has been a slouch in the series.
I prefer Price over Campbell+Mathews+SN Lovefest

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
This game tonight is such high drama. Either Matthews establishes himself as on par with Mackinnon as a playoff performer, or he starts entering dangerous territory as a target of the Toronto sports media. There's really no middle ground. Toronto's highest paid players haven't carried the team at all and people are fed up with it.

Reactions: AlaskaJet and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think this game is a "coin toss" especially with Tavaras, and Muzzin out, and you'd almost have to give the advantage to the Habs. It would not surprise me to see Montreal win this.

It's also quite apparent that so far, Mathews and Marner have not proven to to be great playoff performers. Marner hardly scores, and mostly an assist man, so I think Mathews and Nylander and your main scoring threats.

With Montreal, no big scorers, but they play hard as a team, and they all contribute and score goals.

I'd say this is a close 1 goal game - either way, nothing would surprise me at all, as to who wins this game. I'm leaning toward Montreal winning.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
This game tonight is such high drama. Either Matthews establishes himself as on par with Mackinnon as a playoff performer, or he starts entering dangerous territory as a target of the Toronto sports media. There's really no middle ground. Toronto's highest paid players haven't carried the team at all and people are fed up with it.

Matthews doesn't become MacKinnon after 1 game. Heads will roll if they lose though.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Matthews doesn't become MacKinnon after 1 game. Heads will roll if they lose though.

Clearly, but as far as a star player driving a team... Matthews can change that narrative with a hat trick tonight in a 3-2 win. He has to take over a game. Hasn't really done that in 5 years counting.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
I think this game is a "coin toss" especially with Tavaras, and Muzzin out, and you'd almost have to give the advantage to the Habs. It would not surprise me to see Montreal win this.

It's also quite apparent that so far, Mathews and Marner have not proven to to be great playoff performers. Marner hardly scores, and mostly an assist man, so I think Mathews and Nylander and your main scoring threats.

With Montreal, no big scorers, but they play hard as a team, and they all contribute and score goals.

I'd say this is a close 1 goal game - either way, nothing would surprise me at all, as to who wins this game. I'm leaning toward Montreal winning.
Confession time: AM34 is my favorite player but he’s getting a deserved reputation as a playoff disappointment. If Toronto loses this game 7 as they currently are at the moment, I rightfully expect the Toronto media and Leafs Nation to ream him out.
As for the bolded above, I would add that just like Jets, Montreal also relies on their stud goalie.
Well, whoever Jets play next, GJG!!!

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Looks like it might be the Habs. 20 minutes to go!

Perry was such a steal for Montreal. I remember Montreal put Perry on waivers early in the season and I was surprised no one claimed him. He would be great to have on a playoff team.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I keep going back and forth on who I rather have the Jets play. I finally went with the habs . Between them and the leafs, I rather have the leafs being the guaranteed team not to go deep and go further than the Jets. I could stomach us getting out goalied by Price more than Mathews being made a patron saint if the Leafs win it all.
Same.

Reactions: GNP and Jetsfan79

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
With 14 minutes left here, it looks like we're playing Montreal.( up 2-0) The Leafs are not playing with urgency, and no pushback. I don't see the Leafs coming back to win this game -- Marner invisible, and Mathews, not that much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad