Pre-Game Talk: Leafs open season | Oct. 11, Wednesday @7pm EST | - What's your roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
That is some exciting news to say the least

When was the last time 2 rookies made the team that wasn't our top 10 pick. Matthews, Marner I think are the last ones?

Maybe Antropov,? Kaberle?
Antropov, Ponikarovsky? Lol. Those were the good old days!

Reactions: fahad203

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander and Tavares together again eh

f***ing keefe is a moron. The whole world sees how pathetic it is…. For what 3 years now? Keefe still can’t see it.
If Keefe's not willing to drop JT to 3C, he pretty much has to play either Mitch or Willy with him.

With Minten here, you start the kid at 3C - not the harder 2C or on the unfamiliar wing.

I suppose it boils down to: do you waste Willy with JT or on the third line?

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Though Tavares has looked really fresh this preseason. So hopefully that carries over into the regular season and beyond.

I don't know man. His skating was as "fast (or slow)" as last season based on what I saw. here is hoping it was just "pre-season" mode.

Would be a great start to freakin' keep Josh Anderson off the freakin board for once

He seems to always start well and then fades midway through. Wish we'd just transition him to wing at this point.

I think he did say he was planning and accepting to start playing on the wing then ROR walked and we had no centers.

I was really digging the Matthews-Willy-Tavares as 3 centers. Minten is good but its a bit cruel (IMO) to start the kid at center from the get go in NHL; center position is too crucial. Here is hoping Minten knocks it out of the park to start the season

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
haha was going to place a Friendly wager with u last night, saying he wont clear, thankfully I did not lol

wow did he clear? that would be great!

people at my work are complete incompetent hacks so have to pick up their slack; missing on all the hockey news :(

Knies and Minten looked great together, seemed to have chemistry. What a top 9, best we've ever had!!

Hyman-Matthews-Brown
XXX-Tavares-Marner
XXX-Kadri-Nylander

wasn't too shabby ;)

If the refs weren't complete D-bags and called the games correctly, I would bet that we beat boston both times

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not really sure how that helps him. He needs to play. If he can stay healthy he can good minutes in AHL and prove himself

Leafs have given him opportunities when healthy and will continue to do so

Its between the ears thats the problem. I saw him try way to "hard" in pre-season; which meant he missed some high IQ plays. His shots were also crest snipes. He just needs to be a bit more calm and patient and play the game. He will get his chance IMO

Reactions: Cleetus

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Hyman-Matthews-Brown
XXX-Tavares-Marner
XXX-Kadri-Nylander

wasn't too shabby ;)

If the refs weren't complete D-bags and called the games correctly, I would bet that we beat boston both times
That first Tavares year they had 20 goal seasons from Kapanen and Johnsson too. They also got 16 goals from Marleau.

Those playoff lines were:
Johnsson-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Moore-Gauthier-Brown

Easily the deepest forward group the Leafs have had since the big 4 were assembled.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
wow did he clear? that would be great!

people at my work are complete incompetent hacks so have to pick up their slack; missing on all the hockey news :(

Hyman-Matthews-Brown
XXX-Tavares-Marner
XXX-Kadri-Nylander

wasn't too shabby ;)

yea he cleared! I did not think that was going to happen, thought tampa would put a claim in on him, but watching the lightning in the first they dont need goaltending they dominated the ice lol

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
That first Tavares year they had 20 goal seasons from Kapanen and Johnsson too. They also got 16 goals from Marleau.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Moore-Gauthier-Brown

Easily the deepest forward group the Leafs have had since the big 4 were assembled.
The big 4 is all better today though and Hyman back then wasn't as good as Bertuzzi is today. I'd argue Domi is about as good as Kadri was back then as well. Tavares hasn't really dropped off yet. Gauthier was also pretty bad, Kampf is much better. Johnssson was also nothing special, I'd take Jarnkrok over him. Knies is better then Kapanenn. D is better as well.

Reactions: Zacman

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I’m honestly very concerned that our second line will be exposed defensively. Willy and JT were bad enough together defensively. Adding Domi to that feels like we’re playing with fire.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Nylander
Moore-Gauthier-Brown

And then the refs let Game 2 get out of hand and Parros couldn’t wait to suspend Kadri for the remainder of the series, negating our biggest advantage that year. f*** the DoPS and f*** Boston.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The big 4 is all better today though and Hyman back then wasn't as good as Bertuzzi is today. I'd argue Domi is about as good as Kadri was back then as well. Tavares hasn't really dropped off yet. Gauthier was also pretty bad, Kampf is much better. Johnssson was also nothing special, I'd take Jarnkrok over him. Knies is better then Kapanenn. D is better as well.
I’d argue that Marner/Tavares as a sum that season are better than the sum of Marner/Tavares today.

I’d also argue that 2018-19 Hyman is more impactful than 2023-24 Bertuzzi. Look at Bertuzzi last season. Likewise give me Kadri>Domi all day long as well as Johnsson>Jarnkrok.

Kampf for sure over Gauthier and Knies over Kapanen.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I like having Domi, Bertuzzi, Knies and Minten over Bunting, Kerfoot, Malgin and Engval for opening night

He's fallen in the organization but Christ I would've much rather had Robertson start with the Leafs last season than Denis f***ing Malgin. The fact that Minten has been allowed to win a job with his play says a lot about how the organization is handling young players differently.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Opening Night Lineup 2022-23
Opening Night Lineup 2023-24
Bunting — Matthews — Marner
Nylander — Tavares — Malgin
Engvall — Kerfoot — Jarnkrok
Aston-Reese — Kampf — Aube-Kubel

Rielly — Brodie
Muzzin — Holl