Kings hiring former Senators coach D.J. Smith as assistant

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
For those assuming that Smith was hired due to any connection with Blake, all the info out there points to the connection actually being with Hiller. They were asst. coaches in TOR together.

Let's do our homework before we insinuate nasty accusations.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
is what it is...will say up until this season he was getting more and more points. Once again the case of his firing was the same case that TMAC should have been fired last year. Good people whose term had simply run its course.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Now confirmed on TSN… don’t think I saw anyone post it.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Any update or feedback on how DJ is impacting the team lately?
probably a better question for one of the guys here with the advanced stats site subscriptions, but without anything to really back it up, i'd say neutral-to net positive

i feel like i'm seeing less of the blatant "sitting back in the 1-3-1" passivity even though it's still there, guys seem to have a bit more allowance to forecheck. probably not something you change overnight, but as i recall DJ was given the reigns 5v5 so that's probably something you can attribute to him

i strongly disagree with this propensity for 11/7 with JAD playing up in the lineup but i'm guessing that's hiller, not DJ

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
probably a better question for one of the guys here with the advanced stats site subscriptions, but without anything to really back it up, i'd say neutral-to net positive

i feel like i'm seeing less of the blatant "sitting back in the 1-3-1" passivity even though it's still there, guys seem to have a bit more allowance to forecheck. probably not something you change overnight, but as i recall DJ was given the reigns 5v5 so that's probably something you can attribute to him

i strongly disagree with this propensity for 11/7 with JAD playing up in the lineup but i'm guessing that's hiller, not DJ

They've been top 10 in most categories 5v5 since his hire

not the early season dominance, but far from the last-place level shenanigans that were happening in the final weeks of TM's reign of prevent-hockey terror

They've certainly been FAR more aggressive, which is what you would imagine from a roster full of waterbug forecheckers, and there's a LOT of chatting and nodding on the bench, which is far more engagement than the thousand-yard-stares that permeated every loss prior.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
DJ does put out interesting line combos that sometimes work. Crazy stuff like Fiala with someone other than the best defensive forward. It's nice to have a coach that tries new combos.

Byfield, Kopi, Turcotte seems to work.

Then he just has to play JAD above the 4th line. Why?

• Haha
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad