Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be

1707169893843.png

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Mayor actually called this one last week. This gives me a modicum of hope, in that at least DJ is a Hiller guy and not a LUC/KINGS guy. Hiller is being given the rope, for better or worse

Yeah it's getting a lot of derision from canadian fans and of course sens fans but what kind of sexy mid season assistant coaching hire does one expect

he was a highly desired assistant at one point before becoming a head coach

Kings do a lot of dumb things especially lately, this is hardly one of them

don't get me wrong i'm not over the moon or anything but this will be the last guy i blame for anything

Reactions: Johnny Utah

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
When pressed to expand on how he might change his approach behind the bench, Smith pointed specifically to sloppy mistakes and careless turnovers that need to be eradicated. And he suggested the program has reached the point where he should be able to bench players who are not playing up to the level that is commensurate with a playoff calibre team.

“The biggest thing is details. It has to be tightened up. The accountability towards small details becomes tighter and tighter as you want to get better. As the players get better, the mistakes have to be less and less. They know better. And the accountability has to be higher,” Smith says. “And it’s not just me, they are going hold themselves to a higher standard. They know where they want to go. Just letting guys play throughout it is not something you have with a team that expects to win. If you’re not going, someone else has to take your spot.”
'I will coach them differently': How D.J. Smith plans to change his coaching tactics

Hopefully he benches PLD if/when he needs to

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He coached defense and PK in Toronto. Hiller was PP dude..so not sure where he slots in the new regime.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
McLellan was tasked with the very difficult job of getting immediate progress from a roster that had several players still needing their training wheels. Hard to win a fight on two fronts with opposing needs.

Curious to see how things change here, as dueling focuses can't still be the plan. Right?

Right?

Reactions: Herby

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
McLellan was tasked with the very difficult job of getting immediate progress from a roster that had several players still needing their training wheels. Hard to win a fight on two fronts with opposing needs.

Curious to see how things change here, as dueling focuses can't still be the plan. Right?

Right?
The strategy cant be corrected until there is a new GM. What we have here is make the best of what is in place and see if whatever tweaks Hiller and co. come up with make the team more viable for this season. If things are still wonky by the deadline I would hope AEG prevents anything stupid from happening and defers to the new GM. They should stand pat - but at least move Roy since any GM would realize his salary which will be north of 5mil AAV wont fit into the blown out cap with multiple holes still to fill (goalies, 3LD) and QB's big raise.

Reactions: bland

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016

Right?
I was no fan of Todd but he took that roster with Athanasiou to the playoffs and really squeezed every ounce out of the brutal roster the year before.
He asked for Clarke in the lineup last year even.
It was time for him to go but Blake has really done a number on the team.
He was reactionary when Pittsburgh/Tampa won with speed and skill and he went fully in that direction. Then Vegas wins and he goes all in on size down the middle and getting away with small pay goaltending. Instead of going copycat on cup winners he should have went with his own vision from the beginning.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

Right?

I don’t think anyone in the organization is under the delusion that they still need to develop prospects. They’ve all drank the Kool Aid and believe the Kings are supposed to be a contender. The PLD trade was the point of no return.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I don’t think anyone in the organization is under the delusion that they still need to develop prospects. They’ve all drank the Kool Aid and believe the Kings are supposed to be a contender. The PLD trade was the point of no return.
Well, the way that they have handled Clarke and Turcotte this year shows that they still have development on their mind. Byfield's usage is still part of that process as well.

Its a disaster on all fronts, leading to mediocrity at best.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Funny, it seemed his achilles heel here was not holding players accountable. He seemed to be stuck firmly in a mode where you're 2-5 years from contention and you're letting your young, skilled players play and develop.

IMO, the dynamic in Ottawa soured because his roster didn't have a very deep veteran presence and DJ just seemed to spare the rod and spoil the prospect.

He would definitely benefit the Kings if he can help Byfield spread his wings a bit more, and motivate PLD, as a lot of you have said.

That said, I paid almost no attention to his tenure with the Leafs, which would match this Kings assignment for him a little more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad