Confirmed with Link: Karlsson(1.5 retained), Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd for Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta and Pens 2024 1st(top-10 protected)

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Nah. The only good thing about this deal from his perspective is only retaining 1.5m. Obviously for cap reasons they had to take on Granlund/Hoffman (two very awful players who will not get any picks at the TDL, fyi). It would've looked better if it was just a 1st/Rutta for Karlsson straight up.
You're not getting a 1st if you're only retaining 1.5 AND the only cap dump you take back is Rutta.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Zadina - Hertl - Barabanov
Eklund - Couture - Duclair
Hoffman - Granlund - Kunin
Peterson - Sturm - Zetterlund

Ferraro - Rutta/Myers?
Vlasic - Benning
Knyzhov - Burroughs

Kahkonen
Blackwood

Gotta be one of the worst Sharks rosters since the Cow Palace. Hopefully this secures a top 5 pick.
Fans need to be prepared for the real possibility that Eklund and even Peterson could be down with the Cuda this year.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Nah. The only good thing about this deal from his perspective is only retaining 1.5m. Obviously for cap reasons they had to take on Granlund/Hoffman (two very awful players who will not get any picks at the TDL, fyi). It would've looked better if it was just a 1st/Rutta for Karlsson straight up.
Granlund just got a 2nd before disappointing massively. A lot of it will depend on how the players produce this season.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Such is your way.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Hoffman being in the deal made me laugh out loud.
I came to say this. It's too funny. He's now a two-time Shark. I wonder if the Sharks can flip him before the season.

Not sure there's been a two-time Shark but never played a game as a Shark. Nothing jumping to mind this second.

It's hard to remember the ones that were "just passing thru".

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yes, it does seem like their best prospects would have been #3-5 on the list here, and frankly, there's only so much space on the roster.

I'm actually wondering where Peterson and Eklund fit on today's team; there's no space...

Eklund - Hertl - Zadina
Duclair - Couture - Barabanov
Petersen - Granlund - Hoffman
Kunin - Sturm - Zetterlund

I think Labanc is traded in 12 minutes. I also see big competition between every player in the 3rd and 4th lines with Zadina’s spot available if he falters.

I have no idea how Hoffman or Granlund actually look nowadays though - can they be good in a third line role? On paper it looks like a way deeper offense but half these guys have underperformed a lot.

I do think now that Karlsson is gone there’s gonna be some more trades made, I feel like we’ve got some spare parts.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Fans need to be prepared for the real possibility that Eklund and even Peterson could be down with the Cuda this year.
Peterson is likely to hit waivers now for sure. I think they have to clear a spot for Eklund at this point.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Peterson is likely to hit waivers now for sure. I think they have to clear a spot for Eklund at this point.
Doubt it given his performance with the big club last year. If he does, it will be after camp when rosters are full league wide and they can sneak him through week 1. But I’d guess he’s a healthy scratch or 4th liner before they expose him to waivers.

There is no shortage of 2-4 additional moves that’ll be made to this roster now that this deal is done though to offer clarity on the roster situation.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Doubt it given his performance with the big club last year. If he does, it will be after camp when rosters are full league wide and they can sneak him through week 1. But I’d guess he’s a healthy scratch or 4th liner before they expose him to waivers.

There is no shortage of 2-4 additional moves that’ll be made to this roster now that this deal is done though to offer clarity on the roster situation.

Agreed, I don’t think Grier is done.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Getting a 1st and only retaining $1.5 million makes this a huge win
As a ducks fan that is watching the sharks rebuild…. Don’t mind the trade

Add another 1st(and I still think Pitt misses playoffs and that pick ends up 12-18 range.

Only retaining 1.5 is nice
I think granlund will gain value playing in San Jose and be flipped for a 2nd later on.

Trade also basically puts sharks in driver seat for top 3 pick next year…. Which seems to be dmen heavy…. So San Jose should be able to find their top pairing dmen… either way it makes this year a big year for their rebuild

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

CapFriendly is usually on top of this stuff but they're completely missing the point here. Nashville retained $8M over two years on Johansen for nothing in return - should the Avs have given them a 1st+ due to the "market value" of that amount of retention? Hell no, because retaining that much of Johansen's salary was a prerequisite for trading him at all. Nashville avoided having to *attach* 1sts to trade Johansen at full salary.

Karlsson at full salary with no bad contracts coming back would have had negative value, not to mention the trade literally could not have been completed because no team can absorb 11.5M of cap on August 6th. The way I see it, the Sharks are getting a 1st for taking on Granlund and Hoffman's contracts. Karlsson at 10Mx4 is still an insanely risky contract so the value there is probably on par with Rutta.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I do wonder what the value options for returns were with a higher retention. I would have preferred going that route personally.
I don't think that was ever a real option

The only thing I don't like about this trade is the top 10 protection. Having to take back that much salary should have pushed that to top 3 protection

Reactions: Grinner

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Good chance that Penguins 1st is in the 12th-18th overall range. And if they somehow crater this season and we get their unprotected 1st in a year where Crosby, Malkin and Letang will be 36 to 38 years old...
Yea I'm hoping the pens are as bad as I think they will be. Don't see how Karlsson helps them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad