Confirmed with Link: Karlsson(1.5 retained), Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd for Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta and Pens 2024 1st(top-10 protected)

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
The Sharks actually have decent depth now at FW. Their D is hot garbage though.

Peterson might struggle to make the lineup.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Only retaining 1.5 mil makes it acceptable to not get that second future piece within the deal. Another first round pick will likely help as well. It’ll be nice to have cap flexibility but it depends on how it gets used as to whether it’s worth it or not. We’re still a team that is four years out minimum from being competitive.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Zadina - Hertl - Barabanov
Eklund - Couture - Duclair
Hoffman - Granlund - Kunin
Peterson - Sturm - Zetterlund

Ferraro - Rutta/Myers?
Vlasic - Benning
Knyzhov - Burroughs

Kahkonen
Blackwood

Gotta be one of the worst Sharks rosters since the Cow Palace. Hopefully this secures a top 5 pick.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
any idea the value of Granlund/Ruutu/Hoffman at the TDL?

Couple 2nds and a 3rd for the group?
Hoffman should have been worthless but Habs somehow ended up with a 2nd for him. If there are enough teams in contention near the trade deadline SJ should be able to get some 2nd's for that group. And it looks like there could be 12 really good players in the 2024 draft. Need Pittsburgh to finish in the 11th or 12th spot.

Reactions: Sandisfan

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I haven’t read this thread so my ignorant first impression is I’m really glad only 1.5 million was retained. The sharks needed to clear the books and this seems to help quite a bit. I also like Hoffman coming back for some reason. Sharks legend.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Another move is coming. I think. On defense.
I tend to disagree. We still have eight on D that are more or less nhl caliber or need waivers to be sent down. We need to either trade a forward for nothing or expect Eklund to start the year on the Barracuda.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Hoffman should have been worthless but Habs somehow ended up with a 2nd for him. If there are enough teams in contention near the trade deadline SJ should be able to get some 2nd's for that group. And it looks like there could be 12 really good players in the 2024 draft. Need Pittsburgh to finish in the 11th or 12th spot.
At this point, I have to put Pittsburgh as a major contender. Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, and Letang? Deadly when games matter!

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Retaining 1.5 for a 1st is literally a miracle move. The other stuff is scraps — like I woulda liked a prospect but honestly I’d rather retain less than get one of the Penguins prospects, they’re all very very middling.

Our forward group is such a weird mix of underperforming vets and rookies. It could actually be an okay group to watch but our defense is AWFUL.

I actually think we sign Dumba and trade someone on defense still. Possibly still get Myers?

Maybe some need to rethink their criticism on MGGM??

I think Grier has had an absolutely brilliant summer.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I woulda liked a prospect but honestly I’d rather retain less than get one of the Penguins prospects, they’re all very very middling.
Yes, it does seem like their best prospects would have been #3-5 on the list here, and frankly, there's only so much space on the roster.

I'm actually wondering where Peterson and Eklund fit on today's team; there's no space...

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Maybe some need to rethink their criticism on MGGM??
Nah. The only good thing about this deal from his perspective is only retaining 1.5m. Obviously for cap reasons they had to take on Granlund/Hoffman (two very awful players who will not get any picks at the TDL, fyi). It would've looked better if it was just a 1st/Rutta for Karlsson straight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad