Kane with sports hernia - had it all year

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You think Kane would refuse to to on LTIR to get 100% recovered for the good of himself and the team, plus assist in the team adding a 5M player at the deadline for a better chance at the cup?

Probably should dump him if he's that dumb. But instead I think it's our management that needs to be launched into the sun. I doubt the idea even crossed the orgs mind. Just left him to struggle and be frustrated all year, and once again we go into playoffs with a busted Kane that we had all the time in the world to get healthy, with the added benefit we could have used his cap hit to add a player.
I think part of what plays into this is that whenever a player goes on LTIR he risks losing his spot in the lineup. To my understanding its the type of injury many players have played through as well.

Kane is in the fading years of his career so I also wouldnt discount the arrival of Holloway either.
He is a younger much faster version of Kane in a lot of respects and he is also much cheaper.
Both players dont PK either which also makes things easier in terms of replacing one for the other.
Of course Holloway isnt a scorer like Kane just yet but he is an intriguing player.

I think that there may also be a pride element to this as well. Hockey players play through injury.
Its what they do more often than not.
Unless of course you play for Vegas.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I'd say it's very likely cheating when the same player magically has an injury every Feb and comes back perfectly for game 1 3 years in a row. Just the league is too hands off to do anything about it.

If Kane got a surgery in 2023 and we kept him out a little longer than needed (like Kuch few years ago) to fully use his LTIR, it's a little bit of scamming too, but at least the injury was legit. Gray areas that, yes, all teams can play in. Vegas seems to think they can be far more bold because of some favoritism I guess, but the Oilers wouldn't have needed to be nearly as bold this year, or even last with Kane. We just don't have the will to do what it takes is all.
Kane's injury is no more, and likely less legit than any injury Mark Stone has suffered the last two seasons, regardless of him coming back for playoffs.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Pretty sure to play NHL hockey a hernia surgery recovery is 2-3 months. Fortunately we knew about it near the start of the season and have lots of time to get Kane to 100% before playoffs. And he can have minor set backs as needed like Kuch/Stone to stay practicing in full contact up until game 1 of the playoffs.

Oh wait...
If it needed surgery this would be the case. But you can't force guy to have surgery just because you want to use LTIR. It's a playable injury. The evidence of this is that he has been playing and has scored 24 goals.

Reactions: capazzo

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Probably was Kane himself deciding to make it known, as he was sick of reporters asking questions. I'm very doubtful the organization wanted the information out.

It isn't almost healed if you watch Kane's presser. He says himself that he "isn't sure" whether he is playing tomorrow. That is quite likely just "playoff talk", and I agree that he's likely playing tomorrow, but there is obviously something rather large wrong.

Still have no idea why they didn't get a surgery back in early January, once it was clear we were going to make the playoffs again.
You also wondered if McDavid would play again this year.

Your reading between the lines is usually completely wrong.

Reactions: Senor Catface

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not gonna shit on Kane. Guy's a warrior and a gamer until he is dead and buried. Gets my benefit of the doubt. Not sure there's any great secrets at this point of the season. Doesn't say anything the questions turn to dumbness about why he would be starting 4th line. Is there issue with the coach and or his teammates. Lots of wasted energy already on this junk.

Kane knows one direction. Straight forward, no retreat. Probably some pride involved to disclose he's not physically at his best. But let's wait until puck drops on a hard, grinding series to see what this guy brings.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What does Kane have to gain by saying this now, right before the playoffs? This is something players usually say after the season is over if at all, not right before a playoff run. Did Draisaitl and Nurse talk about their injuries before the playoffs 2 years ago, Ceci about his core injury last year etc.?

It's almost as if he's mentioning this injury in public on purpose because he's unhappy with how the organization is handling it perhaps or is trying to say to people (fans, media etc.) "this is why I have been struggling". Seems selfish to mention this now or, as I said before, maybe this is his way of sending a message to the organization.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Missed opportunity to better the team and get Kane back close to 100% as well as giving an opportunity to the likes of Holloway and Lavoie.

Reactions: Duke74 and Skar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What does Kane have to gain by saying this now, right before the playoffs? This is something players usually say after the season is over if at all, not right before a playoff run. Did Draisaitl and Nurse talk about their injuries before the playoffs 2 years ago, Ceci about his core injury last year etc.?

It's almost as if he's mentioning this injury in public on purpose because he's unhappy with how the organization is handling it perhaps or is trying to say to people (fans, media etc.) "this is why I have been struggling". Seems selfish to mention this now.
Agreed, players will be targeting the areas that it could be and we are a toothless team without him in the lineup.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed, players will be targeting the areas that it could be and we are a toothless team without him in the lineup.
Yeah that too. Mentioning his injury is sort of giving a gameplan to the Kings who plays chippy as hell as is, I bet Doughty is taking notes. I just don't see the point of this from his perspective.

Reactions: brentashton

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it becomes easier to get Kane to buy in on playing 4th line for load management given the injury which is probably for the best with the way the Holloway-McLeod-Perry line has looked. If he's able to play I like the idea of the Kane-Carrick-Brown/Janmark on the 4th line. Give them 8-10 minutes to forecheck hard and throw pucks on net to create chaos. A line like that could score some big goals off bad angle rebound shots or deflected/rebound point shots.

I like when our 4th line just throws pucks on nets and tries to create chaos.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Seems Tocchet gets it, very similar style to Kane.
This time of year you have to crave pain. Kane can take care of himself just fine, no King is gonna run his show

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure why ‘fans’ are running Kane, I commend him for playing through injury.
I like tough honest players, some here deserve the McLeod’s I guess
Because he should have had the operation or recuperation time.

Its a recognition from some here that despite him soldiering on Kane on more than a few nights was the worst Oilers on ice and getting next to nothing done the last 2mths. He had one impactful game in that time. Soldiering on in regular season is no great shakes when he could have been ready to start in playoffs. The ONLY thing that matters is playoffs. Now hes f***ed over. Didn't get the surgery. I recall Klefbom f***ing up like this too soldiering on instead of opting for surgeries earlier.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah that too. Mentioning his injury is sort of giving a gameplan to the Kings who plays chippy as hell as is, I bet Doughty is taking notes. I just don't see the point of this from his perspective.
This. Even if it were an injury that they can’t make worse, all he did was say hey look at me I’m not at 100% capacity. LAK will target him all day.

Idiot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think it becomes easier to get Kane to buy in on playing 4th line for load management given the injury which is probably for the best with the way the Holloway-McLeod-Perry line has looked. If he's able to play I like the idea of the Kane-Carrick-Brown/Janmark on the 4th line. Give them 8-10 minutes to forecheck hard and throw pucks on net to create chaos. A line like that could score some big goals off bad angle rebound shots or deflected/rebound point shots.

I like when our 4th line just throws pucks on nets and tries to create chaos.
At no point has Kane looked to have accepted a role in bottomsix. Verbally he's been against it multiple times. Even in this presser he seems not thrilled about prospects and was giving some strange answers. Its odd that the only thing Kane was clear on was the one thing he shouldn't be, the Injury. He's his own worst enemy. Wait, I forgot Mrs Ex Kane might be that.

This. Even if it were an injury that they can’t make worse, all he did was say hey look at me I’m not at 100% capacity. LAK will target him all day.

Idiot.
Just when I thought saying dumb would've been going too far...;)

Feel like this is a lot of gamesmanship from Kane, he wants the target on his back. The Bear wants to be poked.
Nobody targets anybody on a 4th line. Unfortunately Kane has been so off for a long while now that he's become the player that the opponent wants out on the ice. Like he said about Lucic. tbh Kane is looking more like that guy the last half of the season.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
At no point has Kane looked to have accepted a role in bottomsix. Verbally he's been against it multiple times. Even in this presser he seems not thrilled about prospects and was giving some strange answers. Its odd that the only thing Kane was clear on was the one thing he shouldn't be, the Injury. He's his own worst enemy. Wait, I forgot Mrs Ex Kane might be that.

Hmmm, now I wonder who you are calling dumb?!?!?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Nobody targets anybody on a 4th line. Unfortunately Kane has been so off for a long while now that he's become the player that the opponent wants out on the ice. Like he said about Lucic. tbh Kane is looking more like that guy the last half of the season.
Regardless I'm not really worried. He had a few good games the couple weeks before sitting out the last week of the season and he did it from the bottom 6. This team is at its best if both Holloway and Kane are playing in the bottom 6 so I hope he's able to play.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Because he should have had the operation or recuperation time.

Its a recognition from some here that despite him soldiering on Kane on more than a few nights was the worst Oilers on ice and getting next to nothing done the last 2mths. He had one impactful game in that time. Soldiering on in regular season is no great shakes when he could have been ready to start in playoffs. The ONLY thing that matters is playoffs. Now hes f***ed over. Didn't get the surgery. I recall Klefbom f***ing up like this too soldiering on instead of opting for surgeries earlier.
Kane has no comparison to Klefbom whatsoever, Klef was career ending.
Kane was 4th in goals this year as well, you want to compare 2 month stretches of ghost play look at RNH.
I know they’re your darlings but no King will run Kane’s show, not one.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This org is never gonna be serious about winning. This was a layup to LTIR and add at the deadline. Not only could Kane be back for game 1 at 100% but we could have added an impact player.

Yep. Had the same thoughts. Sports Hernias are no joke as well. Would have freed up a lot more room at the deadline if we had LTIR’d Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad