Johnny Gaudreau Decline?

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Right now? He's got 15 points in his last 12 games since being liberated from Monahan.

And outside of a 10 game stretch right after the hiring of Sutter (when he was asked to play dump and chase hockey with Monahan and Ritchie) he's been a point per game player this year. He also finished last season at a point per game over the last 28 games

Beside all of his bad games he's had good games

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Its crazy how good every NHL player is when you ignore all the bad games they play.

Except Franz Nielsen, he doesnt have good games.

you’re the guy that said he was Gerbe as a ceiling. You literally posted over 500 times about how Gaudreau would suck and never do anything in the NHL.

487 points in 517 games later you still make yourself look like the least knowledgeable poster on HF. Congrats.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
you’re the guy that said he was Gerbe as a ceiling. You literally posted over 500 times about how Gaudreau would suck and never do anything in the NHL.

487 points in 517 games later you still make yourself look like the least knowledgeable poster on HF. Congrats.
And many of you said he will be a perennial 100+ pt player and Art Ross winner. Fun fact: 60pts is closer to the 40 I predicted than the 100+ you guys did...

I know it must suck to never see your team accomplish anything, but dont take that anger out on everyone else.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This issue with Gaudreau is that he should make a line better but is being tasked with carrying a line. I see him as a better version of Tatar. I think Gaudreau is more than capable of being a 90pt player again but unless he's playing with someone like prime Gio or McDavid or someone else who's capable of carrying a line on their own, I think this year and last was the real Gaudreau.

I see Gaudreau as a guy that's easy to shutdown too which doesn't bode well for him.

What makes him especially easy to shutdown is that he plays with Monahan. I think Gaudreau would be dynamite again if he wasn't the only catalyst on his line.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
And many of you said he will be a perennial 100+ pt player and Art Ross winner. Fun fact: 60pts is closer to the 40 I predicted than the 100+ you guys did...

I know it must suck to never see your team accomplish anything, but dont take that anger out on everyone else.

my team may suck but at least I’m not clueless enough to think Johnny’s ceiling is Nathan Gerbe. And I’m certainly not so bored with my life that I am going to convince any random internet dude that will listen to a fact that I am completely wrong about. And I’m certainly not so self-absorbed that when I am clearly out to lunch with a take that I continue to make up ridiculous responses 7 years later instead of admitting I was wrong and move on with my life.
To each their own I guess

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Decline? Maybe from his peak as a Hart contending elite season, but there is pretty much only to go down from there. Alot of years it seems 1 player who really good will go off with an elite season, but then return to normal after

He is still a top tier player and one of the best in the league. But he does face an uphill battle in a few ways 1) Sutter appears to coach a style of hockey that is not ideal for Gaudreaus strengths 2) Being stapled to Monahan

But put in a bit of better position, or if Sutter changed his systems to fit JG better, I have little doubt he would return to a 85-95 point player

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What makes him especially easy to shutdown is that he plays with Monahan. I think Gaudreau would be dynamite again if he wasn't the only catalyst on his line.

This is the biggets issue. Monahan is an elite finisher, but beyond 5% of the ice he is below average, so he is very easy contain and it is up to JG to carry the line

Reactions: Iggys Dome

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
Gaudreau is going to go somewhere and play with a real goal scorer(s) and put up huge assist totals. Monahan's decent raw goal totals over the years mask the fact that he's a crest sniper. Gaudreau set him up with a slough of grade A scoring chances and he would miss his target of the goalie's chest 30 times a year.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
my team may suck but at least I’m not clueless enough to think Johnny’s ceiling is Nathan Gerbe. And I’m certainly not so bored with my life that I am going to convince any random internet dude that will listen to a fact that I am completely wrong about. And I’m certainly not so self-absorbed that when I am clearly out to lunch with a take that I continue to make up ridiculous responses 7 years later instead of admitting I was wrong and move on with my life.
To each their own I guess
Yet you keep acting like most of you didnt call him a future multiple 100+ pt player/Art Ross winner.

Best of luck

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yet you keep acting like most of you didnt call him a future multiple 100+ pt player/Art Ross winner.

Best of luck

the guy is literally a top ten scorer in the league since he entered. The only guys who have scored more have played with better players.

but you’re right. He’s closer to being Nathan Gerbe than an elite forward. You must never get tired of being wrong

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Essentially useless huh. So I imagine his agent won't bring up his two top 10 scoring finishes, his Calder nomination, or finishing 4th in Hart trophy voting just two seasons ago in his contract negotiations. Or that he's 10th in even strength scoring since entering the league. Those facts apparently have absolutely no bearing on his value.

Sure the most recent seasons are the most relevant, doesn't mean at all the rest of a player's body of work is completely discounted. Especially when it comes to one of the league's premier point producers.
His agent is going to use the most favorable possible argument possible. If he sucked 3 years ago he would just ignore it. Most projection models are built around waiting the previous 3 seasons with regression like (5x-3x-1x)/9 built in.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
the guy is literally a top ten scorer in the league. The only guys who have scored more have played with better players.

but you’re right. He’s closer to being Nathan Gerbe than an elite forward. You must never get tired of being wrong
I must have missed when the last two seasons the top 10 were 60pt players...

Good on him for having a couple good seasons tho. Been pretty average other than that.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I'm guessing the op has not watched a Flames game this year?

He's been by far the best forward, even with carrying a boat anchor around for most of the season.

It will be a sad day when we trade him, he has carried our offensive output for the last several years

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
If you keep picking cheeries at some point the D-men figure that you are behind them. And adapt.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Gaudreau is not geting any better but should still be able to contribute and put points on the board - in the regular season at least - for the next 4 years or so.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think his best years have passed. Still a very good player but he is a 60ish point guy rather than the guy that was close to 100 points.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He has Taylor Hall syndrome...

Not good enough to be the best forward on the team year in and year out, but being asked to do that.

Put him on a team where he is ONE of the top players and he will be right back where he was.

Reactions: viper0220

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't think the perception of Gaudreau has taken that much of a hit. Most believe the Flames are a mess, lack key personnel (top-six centers being at the top of the list), and Gaudreau does well with very little support.

The Flames and player both seem like they would benefit from moving on. This is one of those longstanding rumors that probably does hold water. He's going to sign a long deal with the Flyers once he hits UFA in July 2022.

His value as a player is substantial. So what would you give up for a very talented player with just one year left before free agency? I don't exactly know where the sweet spot is, but I expect that Flames fans (resigned to moving him while he has value) and fans of other teams (who only see the one remaining year) will disagree about his trade value.

Very good player, but he's a merc for just one year. That's a glorified trade deadline acquisition, except you're going to be on the hook for the full AAV. It might make more sense for the Flames to trade him at the deadline next season to maximize their return in futures assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad