Johnny Gaudreau Decline?

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Had posted this in the Polls section but I think discussion is more relevant here.

How are we viewing Johnny Gaudreau as a player now?

This is a guy that hit 99 points a few years ago and was a Hart trophy contender.

Matthew Tkachuk outscored him last year.
Elias Lindholm is outscoring him this year.

What's the problem?

Serious discussion only because I truly do believe he is a super skilled player.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He has 15 points in his last 12 games.....this season was a tire fire for the entire team, and then Gaudreau had to adjust to the drastically different system under Sutter. Gaudreau had a stretch of like 25 bad games, right in the middle of the season (as did the whole team), which was exaggerated by the shortened season.

This thread is late by about a month. Anyone who has watched Flames game in the last month would know that Gaudreau looks great again.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
He has 15 points in his last 12 games.....this season was a tire fire for the entire team, and then Gaudreau had to adjust to the drastically different system under Sutter. Gaudreau had a stretch of like 25 bad games, right in the middle of the season (as did the whole team), which was exaggerated by the shortened season.

This thread is late by about a month. Anyone who has watched Flames game in the last month would know that Gaudreau looks great again.

So you're expecting him to be a point per game player again next year?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
His favourite shot is trying to go short side top shelf all the time. He tries to roof it from awful angles when his bread and butter is five hole and deking the goalie. He will get one every once in a while, but he shoots it so high and wide most of the time that it leaves the zone.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He’s not as good as his 99 point season, but he’s definitely not as bad as this either. He’s a 70 something point guy who’s stuck on a team that’s currently a dumpster fire. Besides an aging Gio, you can’t gather much info from the Flames play this year

"70's something point player" isn't very descriptive or generous

He's a .94 PPG player in his career while generating and carrying most of that offense he accrued. So to me he can be capable of 80-90 and a Top 10 scoring finish.

I don't think he's an MVP candidate or anything but it seems like he's gotten underrated on this site.

Reactions: The Sweetness

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton

It doesn't take away the fact that he "had a bad stretch of like 25 bad games". For most elite players, a 2 or 3 game bad stretch would infuriate them and make them go on a tare. Let's put it this way, if he didn't have a bad stretch for 25 games, the flames would be in the playoffs right now. Maybe being okay with your #1 player having a bad 25 games is part of the problem.

My take on it is, because he can turn it on or off like that, he has become unhappy or disinterested. Not an asset that your leader should have. I am sure he would be great on another team where he plays a secondary role and the leaders are not okay with passengers. Problem with that, is because of his inconsistencies, the flames won't get much in a trade.

Reactions: Reality Czech

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It doesn't take away the fact that he "had a bad stretch of like 25 bad games". For most elite players, a 2 or 3 game bad stretch would infuriate them and make them go on a tare. Let's put it this way, if he didn't have a bad stretch for 25 games, the flames would be in the playoffs right now. Maybe being okay with your #1 player having a bad 25 games is part of the problem.

My take on it is, because he can turn it on or off like that, he has become unhappy or disinterested. Not an asset that your leader should have. I am sure he would be great on another team where he plays a secondary role and the leaders are not okay with passengers. Problem with that, is because of his inconsistencies, the flames won't get much in a trade.

Issues with Johnny's trade value have nothing to do with his play. He's becoming a UFA and may want to go to a specific market. He, therefore, could be a rental.

And yes, in the real world, outside of hockey forums, GMs will take into account how bad the Flames were for that middle stretch of the season. Despite what you say, many star players have bad stretches for 20-30 games. It's quite common.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Needs to go somewhere he's not the best forward. Don't care what the point totals say, he has been carrying the Flames' offense his entire time here. Little unfair to put all that on a diminutive winger.

He hasn't really been great this year but him and Lindholm have done their jobs.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
This issue with Gaudreau is that he should make a line better but is being tasked with carrying a line. I see him as a better version of Tatar. I think Gaudreau is more than capable of being a 90pt player again but unless he's playing with someone like prime Gio or McDavid or someone else who's capable of carrying a line on their own, I think this year and last was the real Gaudreau.

I see Gaudreau as a guy that's easy to shutdown too which doesn't bode well for him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

He's a .94 PPG player in his career while generating and carrying most of that offense he accrued. So to me he can be capable of 80-90 and a Top 10 scoring finish.

I don't think he's an MVP candidate or anything but it seems like he's gotten underrated on this site.

How is that not descriptive? It’s saying he should still be able to have 70-79 points in a full season. He’s been on a 67 point pace the last 2 years, and his career PPG puts him at 77. Saying he should be in the 70s most years doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Issues with Johnny's trade value have nothing to do with his play. He's becoming a UFA and may want to go to a specific market. He, therefore, could be a rental.

And yes, in the real world, outside of hockey forums, GMs will take into account how bad the Flames were for that middle stretch of the season. Despite what you say, many star players have bad stretches for 20-30 games. It's quite common.
It wasn't even 25 games. He went cold for the first 12 games under Sutter.

He had:
12g 23p in his first 26gp
6g 15p in his last 12 gp

It's also helpful that he's no longer carrying around an anchor at center.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011

0.94 ppg puts him at 77 points on the season...or a "70s something point player"

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Johnny Hockey is actually a very good offensive player, but his back is getting sore from carrying Monahan for the past few years.

His value takes a hit from a trade perspective for a couple reasons:
  • He does tend to become invisible when the intensity gets jacked up.
  • Rumours indicate he is wanting to play on the East coast when his contract expires or before.

It’ll be interesting what he returns in a trade... could be crap... could be very good. I don’t know.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It wasn't even 25 games. He went cold for the first 12 games under Sutter.

He had:
12g 23p in his first 26gp
6g 15p in his last 12 gp

It's also helpful that he's no longer carrying around an anchor at center.

Yeah, it definitely depends how you break it up. Gaudreau definitely had abysmal play under Sutter initially. I thought he was done in Calgary for sure. Then he all of a sudden turned it on in a big way about 12 games ago. He looks great again. Once again, this thread is a month late and Gaudreau does not look like he is declining.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yeah, it definitely depends how you break it up. Gaudreau definitely had abysmal play under Sutter initially. I thought he was done in Calgary for sure. Then he all of a sudden turned it on in a big way about 12 games ago. He looks great again. Once again, this thread is a month late and Gaudreau does not look like he is declining.
Yeah. Surprisingly playing dump and chase hockey alongside Monahan and Ritchie wasn't a recipe for success. Don't know what Sutter was thinking but credit to him for finally unshackling 13.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton

There is a difference between star and elite. Not too long ago you flames fans were saying Johnny = McDavid and that he is a Hart trophy player. Now he is relegated to star player that the fans and organization are okay with to have long bad stretches. yah... okay.

What do you mean his trade value has nothing to do with play. Are you new to armchair GMing? If he was consistently lighting it up, his value would be tremendously high, even more so if the rest of the team was bad. Instead, he is one of the reasons why the team is bad and has proven his leadership skills are not enough to get the team out of a bad funk. If play is not what you value, I am curious to hear what you base value on.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Johnny Hockey is actually a very good offensive player, but his back is getting sore from carrying Monahan for the past few years.

His value takes a hit from a trade perspective for a couple reasons:
  • He does tend to become invisible when the intensity gets jacked up.
  • Rumours indicate he is wanting to play on the East coast when his contract expires or before.

It’ll be interesting what he returns in a trade... could be crap... could be very good. I don’t know.

This is a fair assessment. I would state the issues with Gaudreau in the playoffs are overstated. It's not so much that he becomes invisible, it's that the Flames haven't presented enough secondary threats to stop Gaudreau from getting double teamed with more physical playoff hockey. The anti-Flames post season game plan has been pretty obvious. Double team and cheap shot the small guy. Gaudreau can only do so much.

If Gaudreau is indeed leaving, the Flames will need to initiate a bidding war amongst East Coast teams and get a perfect fit scenario to get real value for Gaudreau.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
There is a difference between star and elite. Not too long ago you flames fans were saying Johnny = McDavid and that he is a Hart trophy player. Now he is relegated to star player that the fans and organization are okay with to have long bad stretches. yah... okay.

What do you mean his trade value has nothing to do with play. Are you new to armchair GMing? If he was consistently lighting it up, his value would be tremendously high, even more so if the rest of the team was bad. Instead, he is one of the reasons why the team is bad and has proven his leadership skills are not enough to get the team out of a bad funk. If play is not what you value, I am curious to hear what you base value on.

Everyone, including the GMs, know what Gaudreau brings, and, despite what posters on here say, this season has changed very little. The issues surrounding him have to do with his expiring contract and potential desire to play around Philly.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Who is his center going to be in Philly? Have to assume that with the way this season went and the fact that he will be a UFA at the end of next year that the Flames will most likely be looking to move him next year if he is not willing to sign early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad