Post-Game Talk: Johnny BE Quick. 3-0 Kings

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I know I constantly bring up mental toughness (and I'm sure most on here are probably sick of hearing me say it), but Quick is bulletproof. The bigger the game, the better he plays. And he's always pretty damn good! He's a very special talent that will re-write the history book for Kings goaltenders and American goaltenders.

already leads the kings franchise in most goaltender categories.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Totally speculation on my part but we've also seen something to the theory that Quick plays better with more shots (most goaltenders do). I'll probably put together a little graph next week when I'm on vacation so we can laugh at the misery that is 15 shots against and marvel at the spectacle that is 40+ shots against.

The Kings' style stymies raw shots against, but when it does give up shots, they're typically rush opportunities or more dangerous stuff. 15 shots on goal and 2+ goals looks bad on paper, I get that.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Longest trip in 6 years according to Sutter, but February will be longer. Still, so far so good, considering the first game was the third in four nights then we did ANOTHER 3 in 4 after hitting all over the US. On the road for two weeks and so far 3-1-1 is a positive...but finish strong and it will be a smashing success!

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This is a very different team than years past. Kings are 6-1-1 so far this month (one of their worst) with a points percentage of .813. Incredible. Kopitar has 2 goals and 7 points in 8 games. Also crazy. He's usually on a milk carton by Thanksgiving.

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
Totally speculation on my part but we've also seen something to the theory that Quick plays better with more shots (most goaltenders do). I'll probably put together a little graph next week when I'm on vacation so we can laugh at the misery that is 15 shots against and marvel at the spectacle that is 40+ shots against.

The Kings' style stymies raw shots against, but when it does give up shots, they're typically rush opportunities or more dangerous stuff. 15 shots on goal and 2+ goals looks bad on paper, I get that.

i'd be interested to know if more shots on goal usually equals more high danger scoring chances - it would explain why Quick looks so damn good in high shot volume games - say the Kings give up the same amount of actual scoring chances but allow way more shots, Quick "looks" better - since as we all know, the Kings typically don't allow a ton of shots against, which leads to Quick's SV% looking pedestrian most of the time.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
This is a very different team than years past. Kings are 6-1-1 so far this month (one of their worst) with a points percentage of .813. Incredible. Kopitar has 2 goals and 7 points in 8 games. Also crazy. He's usually on a milk carton by Thanksgiving.

No.

Kopitar's career splits by month:

Sept: 2 GP 0 G 2 A 2 PTS
Oct: 102 GP 35 G 59 A 94 PTS
Nov: 114 GP 37 G 54 A 91 PTS
Dec: 124 GP 37 G 73 A 110 PTS
Jan: 105 GP 28 G 59 A 87 PTS
Feb: 97 GP 40 G 56 A 96 PTS
Mar: 123 GP 40 G 71 A 111 PTS
Apr: 47 GP 10 G 2 9A 39 PTS

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Probably the most impressive game I've seen Quick play since early last season against St. Louis. The 1-0 shootout win with 40-some saves. He followed it up with a really strong game the next time out against Minnesota. Last two games before all the Voynov stuff went down.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Quick has been playing incredibly well.

I know the Kings normally limit perimeter shots which tends to depress save percentage. But from game 4 onwards, Quick has a .927 save percentage. .920 on the season.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
If the Kings allowed 25+ shots a game, Quick would have two Vezina trophy's by now. Maybe even a Hart in his resume.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Quick should have won the Vezina and Hart in 2012, but homeboy Lundqvist was the bridesmaid for too long and needed a lick of the shiny brass ring.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
And that's why I hate these awards. They are so subjective with exception of the Richard, Art Ross.

Lundqvist had a great season as well and it was his time to win one. Call me biased but Quick and the Kings had an insane year in 2012.

You could easily make a case for Doughty in his sophomore season as well. Yet there was suddenly Keith who had a terrific season. Than the Conn Smythe in 2014. Kopitar was great if it wasnt for the heroics of Justin Williams. So in the end you have one award on the current roster (Quick).

Last years nomination of Kopitar was a complete joke.

I hate these things so much, always have, even when the Kings sucked.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
And that's why I hate these awards. They are so subjective with exception of the Richard, Art Ross.

Lundqvist had a great season as well and it was his time to win one. Call me biased but Quick and the Kings had an insane year in 2012.

You could easily make a case for Doughty in his sophomore season as well. Yet there was suddenly Keith who had a terrific season. Than the Conn Smythe in 2014. Kopitar was great if it wasnt for the heroics of Justin Williams. So in the end you have one award on the current roster (Quick).

Last years nomination of Kopitar was a complete joke.

I hate these things so much, always have, even when the Kings sucked.

Well, and I know this isn't a voted on award, Quick also won the Jennings Trophy in 2014, with a big assist from Jones and Scrivens.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
It shouldn't be surprising though. Unfortunately, a vocal minority can say whatever they want without fact checking and people buy into it.

Eh, I would be interested to see goals vs. assists. For example last year Kopitar only scored 3 goals from mid November to mid January. In 2012 he scored 1 goal in the month of December, on the last day of the year. Not exactly what you want from your number 1 center. Not to mention his penchant for floating around the perimeter. In any case the starts are interesting.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Eh, I would be interested to see goals vs. assists. For example last year Kopitar only scored 3 goals from mid November to mid January. In 2012 he scored 1 goal in the month of December, on the last day of the year. Not exactly what you want from your number 1 center. Not to mention his penchant for floating around the perimeter. In any case the starts are interesting.

Goes back to the question does it really matter if he has ZERO goals but 20 assists in a couple of weeks?

I get the feeling that Kopitar could be 2PPG but that if he didn't score people would complain. That's offensive generation period.

Edit: I agree with you though about the 'visibility' of Kopitar's yearly 'slumber' and hoping it will look different this year with the added rest.

Last edited:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't consider Bandit and I trolls. ;)

*******s definitely, but not trolls.

I wasn't saying you guys were trolls. Just caught up in the narrative of others.

The point is, Kopitar contributes on both ends of the ice even when he's not scoring goals. The team benefits more when he scores, but you can say that about anyone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad