Post-Game Talk: Johnny BE Quick. 3-0 Kings

cali101

Nov 23, 2014
on a slightly downer note, we've been bad in the face off circle. shore's been surprisingly low for 3-4 games now

-The Kings won 25-og-66 faceoffs (38%). Among regular performers, Anze Kopitar won 13-of-26, Andy Andreoff won 2-of-4, Jordan Weal won 0-of-2, Nick Shore won 5-of-15 and Jeff Carter won 5-of-17.

Weal is starting to play better. That sliding 2 pad stack in the slot...wow!

yeah he looked good at times tonight, esp on the power play when he had the chance to play with some top level guys. a lot of people noted he did well on that shift in particular in addition to the block

Jon Rosen@lakingsinsider 4h4 hours ago
Nice power play shift by Jordan Weal, who sustained the power play zone time by winning a stick battle with Tom Gilbert.

the 4th line generally hasn't gelled yet. has the third? i am not sure. defensively, perhaps. but not offensively, if that's something coach wants from them. perhaps not if the the top 2 lines keep producing.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah I said in the GDT TT is looking right now like he did when he first came back from being sick. Slow, sluggish, bad puck decisions high in the zone and crappy at digging. Maybe it's just a flu bug or something? Who knows. He's a key player and he really fought for the Doughty goal so can't be too mad at him, I just don't want him to tail off.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
LISTEN: Frozen Royalty On Montreal Hockey Talk Radio: LA Kings vs. Canadiens

Prior to the Los Angeles Kings 3-0 victory over the Montreal Canadiens at the Bell Centre in Montreal, yours truly was a guest on Montreal Hockey Talk's pre-game show, talking about the Kings heading into the game.

We talked about Anze Kopitar, Milan Lucic, Jonathan Quick, Tyler Toffoli, and more, including how local hockey has grown so much in California, specifically, Southern California.

To listen to the "Behind Enemy Lines" segment of the show, go to...

LISTEN: Frozen Royalty On Montreal Hockey Talk Radio: Pre-Game, LA Kings vs. Canadiens

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know some of you are joking but CF% isn't a one-game measure, it's about long-term trends. In other words, the Kings are damn near 60% of the shot attempts per game, far and away the league leader, which should translate to more wins over time since you're effectively pinning teams in their zone.

I'm sure it'll be nice when 'true possession' is released via chips in jerseys but in the meantime this has been a very good predictive proxy.

In other words, the important takeaway: for those of you who feel we got rolled by the Canadiens all night, that's just above what we're doing on average to other teams all year. Think about that next time you worry about this team.

losingsand

Apr 13, 2007
Pasadena, ca
I thought the kings played a very good BEND AND DON'T BREAK kinda game holding on to the lead... this slumping montreal team was gonna come at us hard when they were down and they did, but I felt the kings played a responsible TEAM game keeping the shots to the outside, letting quick see a lot of the pucks, and tried to get the puck deep when they had the chance. Patrick O'Neal said it was the best he's ever seen quickie? sure he exaggerates but I thought this was kind of a HO-HUM shutout to be honest... sure you see 45 SHOTS and yr like OMG quick is god... But I didn't feel like the kings were "dominated" and i don't think he was making dynamic save one after another, i thought he saved the average amount of GRADE A scoring chances... i just thought that this team was simply doing a good job holding on to the lead. Quick DESERVED to be a star of the game but honestly i give the number one star to doughty, who made game-breaking DYNAMIC plays on Subban's stage. Great thing about this win is that I like it when the kings can win in different ways...getting outshot 2-1 and being able to really hold tight on a lead gives me great confidence that this team is well coached and focused right now.

Scarehoff had a bit of an off-night.
Weal better be more careful around his own blueline... he stripped the puck a few times in the offensive zone which is classic weal but he needs to get better coming out of the zone. Loved seeing him and mersch on the PP, his great pp shift led directly to first goal.. hopefully he can build off that and that great block shot.
Kopitar was a stud owning the middle of the Ice.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Btw, according to NHLN, Quick is 1 shutout away from tying the all-time shutout record for American born goalies.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I thought the kings played a very good BEND AND DON'T BREAK kinda game holding on to the lead... this slumping montreal team was gonna come at us hard when they were down and they did, but I felt the kings played a responsible TEAM game keeping the shots to the outside, letting quick see a lot of the pucks, and tried to get the puck deep when they had the chance. Patrick O'Neal said it was the best he's ever seen quickie? sure he exaggerates but I thought this was kind of a HO-HUM shutout to be honest... sure you see 45 SHOTS and yr like OMG quick is god... But I didn't feel like the kings were "dominated" and i don't think he was making dynamic save one after another, i thought he saved the average amount of GRADE A scoring chances... i just thought that this team was simply doing a good job holding on to the lead. Quick DESERVED to be a star of the game but honestly i give the number one star to doughty, who made game-breaking DYNAMIC plays on Subban's stage. Great thing about this win is that I like it when the kings can win in different ways...getting outshot 2-1 and being able to really hold tight on a lead gives me great confidence that this team is well coached and focused right now.

Scarehoff had a bit of an off-night.
Weal better be more careful around his own blueline... he stripped the puck a few times in the offensive zone which is classic weal but he needs to get better coming out of the zone. Loved seeing him and mersch on the PP, his great pp shift led directly to first goal.. hopefully he can build off that and that great block shot.
Kopitar was a stud owning the middle of the Ice.

That seemed to be the general consensus on the Montreal board too.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
When this team is pulling out wins in different ways, on the backs of different players, they're almost impossible to beat. Bodes well for the rest of this season and the playoffs. Feeling pretty confident in the boys these days.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
We played a great game, some sloppy plays in the first but really turned it on in the second and shut them down in the third. That 4v6 pk was great. Doughty was on fire and JQ held his ground.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
But that Kings team ruined hockey! Ask any 14-year-old on the main board and they will shout to the heavens this is true!

I'm fine with burning it to the ground if we get to rule the ashes. :)

When does Game of Thrones come back. (May have been a quote)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Another example shots on goal can be really deceptive.

You would think Kings got outplayed in the 1st period but we were much better in the first 10 minutes and Montreal started to shoot from all places after that. Quick had some great saves but this is how Price and Lundqvist get their SV%. Both great goalies but this is East coast hockey.

The 2nd and 3rd were just horrible IMO. Pucks were jumping over sticks, no passing game whatsoever, Carter floating around etc etc.

I take the 3-0 win.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Both Weal and Mersch on the PP when Doughty scored.

Mersch didnt get an assist but it was him who forced the turnover.

That was pretty impressive.

He did fail to get the puck out of the zone 3 or 4 times though that led to scoring chances, that's pretty bad given his ice time. There's a reason he only saw two shifts in the third.

He's kind of a turnover machine around his own blue line. Hopefully he grows out of that.
I noticed that too and it was really odd because he wasnt pressured.

I think he's nervous. He should just play his game. He's a player who likes to have the puck but in a Kings jersey he seems to want to get rid of it right away.

Last edited:

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Was at the game, nice to see other Kings fan enjoy the win with me. if anything we need a fourth line center that can win some draws. Quick was in beast mode, love it when we win here :)

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Agree with most. Quick was a star of the game, but that was a Terry Murray shot mentality special 45 shots by Montreal.

Kevin Weekes had some nice comments on NHL Tonight about Quick. It's no secret he's a fan of Quick but his partner asked where Quick ranked among Price, Lundqvist and Holtby and he said "with the money on the line, I'll take Quick". Said he's a proven big game goaltender. Modern day Fuhr.

Last edited:

gnarls barkley

Mar 16, 2015
Chicago
When this team is pulling out wins in different ways, on the backs of different players, they're almost impossible to beat. Bodes well for the rest of this season and the playoffs. Feeling pretty confident in the boys these days.

this is the biggest takeaway to me honestly, the team is getting great performances from different guys seemingly every win. That's deadly in a 7 game series, where other teams won't be able to reliably key in on any one line or pairing.

only real weakness right now seems to be faceoff % and it's borderline absurd how high our CF% is even being mediocre to crap on the dot.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
this is the biggest takeaway to me honestly, the team is getting great performances from different guys seemingly every win. That's deadly in a 7 game series, where other teams won't be able to reliably key in on any one line or pairing.

only real weakness right now seems to be faceoff % and it's borderline absurd how high our CF% is even being mediocre to crap on the dot.

The face-offs are really puzzling. Baffling how Carter has struggled with it this season considering his history. Even losing the face-offs, the Kings are still good at preventing the opposition from doing anything with the win and tilting the ice the other way quickly in return.

The Kings elite hallmarks are showing so far this season. Elite D, reliable goaltending, good PK, good on the road, great advanced stats, middling at best offense. Trade for a Blue Jacket and change Mersch's number to 79 and we're good to go.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Nice to see Quick rebound from Ottawa.

Can't wait to see this team healthy.

Starting to think Jordan Weal is going to be a great AHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad