Post-Game Talk: Horrifying Act of Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I know I should be dissecting this series like everyone else but I’m ready to move onto to the next series already. Yeah sure they didn’t play their best at times and took long stretches off, but they got it done and in 4 games , against a team who really should not have made the playoffs. This was the results I was hoping for was even ok it going 5 games.

What I saw from this series was a winning formula. The Rangers have the depth goalie and special teams talent to take what any game gives them and win. Zibanejad and Trocheck are playing their A game, Panarin and Kreider score clutch goals, and Igor looks like the best goalie in the playoffs by a mile. The Caps might've been the #16 team in the playoffs, but as far as physical tests goes there's not much bigger than going against an arch rival team with Wlson and Oshie and others we all know. It was never in doubt for a second. You can always tighten things up, but they can win 16 games playing this way.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
No I remember the shift because he was 50% responsible for that (the other going to Kreider who didn't even try to help out), even if that counts as 2 there were 2 more and they weren't split apart for very long.

I know you're a fan, but he is a massive problem for us. He and Fox's numbers away form each other (albeit the smallest of sample sizes) in this series are so starkly different and together they were pretty shit. We could have chalked it up to just a random occurrence if this weren't a thing in the regular season too.

If you look at the top 4 for other teams who you can consider "contenders", no one is playing a Ryan Lindgren level player in their top 4. @Machinehead mentioned it before, in 8 minutes away from Fox in this series, he managed to be on the ice for 7 scoring chances against and when they're together, he's dragging down Fox.
I'm refuse to argue with you about Lindgren anymore. I was just explaining why Lindgren was on the ice without Fox.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Caps also got horrid goaltending from Lindgren this series. It's just one of those things. Sometimes goalies go on a tear, sometimes a stinker. Charlie was a stinker this whole week.

He's had a Jason Labarbera-esque career and I think that's where he's headed- don't see him still an NHL starter within a couple years.

That's one of the biggest random error factors in the playoffs. If NYR had had Igor play like that we would have had Quick in by game 3 like we did with Weeks in 06

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Panarin will be fine. He didn't have a great series, he made some bone headed plays for sure. But I see him do try to get into the middle, unlike the scared guy who stuck to the boards in past playoffs. I do see him skating hard. He's still cycling and moving around and not passively floating. I think he and Laf, who by the way was also quiet but seems to be escaping criticism, will have a better series likely against the smaller Carolina guys. Washington had big physical guys, which always give Panarin trouble.
At a PPG, Laf is exceeding his regular season scoring pace… he’s playing physical, and he’s only 21. He’s not escaping criticism, he is playing well and doesn’t warrant it.

I’d like to see more from Panarin, but this is NOT like last year. He’s playing well though not dominating. It’s the playoffs, not getting the same scoring pace you did during the regular season is the norm. I’m not worried. The Caps ultra keyed on him and it left players like Troch and Zibs with more room. Which they capitalized on. Zibs might start attracting that coverage instead of Pan if he keeps this 1.75PPG pace, until Pan starts dominating again with less strict coverage. With both of them going, it’s hard to focus on both lines. One will get looser coverage.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't know if they're going to beat Carolina but they're going to play better against Carolina.

They played better against better teams all year. I know people hate the "playing down" thing but it's an 82 game season. And then a 28 game tournament.

We didn't end up in a long series because of playing down like everyone feared.

Rangers in 6. We are better in every way and have home ice. A loss would be a massive disappointment. I am curious as to the injury status of Fast and Pesce because those are two respected vets who play defense and if they are out that is a big problem for the Canes. I will subtract a game from my prediction with every game the Islanders win the remainder of this series.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
That knee on knee is still pissing me off. Zero excuses. We’re so f*cking lucky. To the smarter, more medically inclined posters: That’s an injury where you don’t finish a game if one is in fact sustained, yeah? Not something that can show itself after the adrenaline of a PO game wears off?

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I mean the answer is he didn't want to be there.
Sad to see him like that.

Not crying for Ovi he has his Cup and will soon have a possibly unbreakable record. Caps deserved this sweep as years of comeuppance. As someone I can't remember said in one of the GDT's, they didn't like being the nail.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
That knee on knee is still pissing me off. Zero excuses. We’re so f*cking lucky. To the smarter, more medically inclined posters: That’s an injury where you don’t finish a game if one is in fact sustained, yeah? Not something that can show itself after the adrenaline of a PO game wears off?
I'm not a doctor but it probably depends. I think it's safe logic to assume that finishing the game is a good sign.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers in 6. We are better in every way and have home ice. A loss would be a massive disappointment. I am curious as to the injury status of Fast and Pesce because those are two respected vets who play defense and if they are out that is a big problem for the Canes. I will subtract a game from my prediction with every game the Islanders win the remainder of this series.
I could see us winning in 6.

Home team wins every game until the last one, and Carolina falls apart when we take an early lead just like game 7 in 2022.

I wouldn't hate the Islanders taking one more off of Carolina but I would prefer if it's over in 6. If it goes 7, I don't know if I love us sitting around for a week and a half and they played 48 hours ago. That has them getting out to a good start written all over it. Let them cool off.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Spot on. The first Caps goal was all on him (and Rempe obviously). No idea why he went backwards on that play.

Anyone complaining needs to have their head examined though. We just witnessed the greatest regular season this franchise has ever had, and now a playoff series sweep.

You are living in good times for the NYR. Enjoy it.
Some here are just incapable of enjoying a great regular season and even a series sweep. It's always what the Rangers didn't do that they focus on. They didn't win every game by a touchdown so it's not good enough. Whiny brats.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm interested to see how we play not winning all the time.

Not that I don't wanna be in the lead but I'm sure we won't be at some point.
Based on their resiliency coming back in the regular season - they should be ok.

Also I’m happy that the Rangers got the sweep with Panarin and Lafreniere relatively quiet and Chytil still out of the lineup. There’s a build in potential to be much better, specifically at 5 on 5.

Reactions: egelband

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

Home team wins every game until the last one, and Carolina falls apart when we take an early lead just like game 7 in 2022.

I wouldn't hate the Islanders taking one more off of Carolina but I would prefer if it's over in 6. If it goes 7, I don't know if I love us sitting around for a week and a half and they played 48 hours ago. That has them getting out to a good start written all over it. Let them cool off.
I would normally agree but I think those couple extra days of rest come to pay off later in the post season. It's a long journey. I would rather they rest and put it on them to find a way to get back up to speed quickly against Carolina. I think that rest would end up being an advantage in the long run.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

6 is a good number. 7 keeps the winner spirited and remaining on a high, even if it's tired.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I'm not a doctor but it probably depends. I think it's safe logic to assume that finishing the game is a good sign.

Of course. Though, I’ve known people whom were shot in the leg and ran for 6 blocks afterwards. PO adrenaline as we all have seen has done some magical shit to people regarding ‘not feeling it’ until the next day or so.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
At a PPG, Laf is exceeding his regular season scoring pace… he’s playing physical, and he’s only 21. He’s not escaping criticism, he is playing well and doesn’t warrant it.

I’d like to see more from Panarin, but this is NOT like last year. He’s playing well though not dominating. It’s the playoffs, not getting the same scoring pace you did during the regular season is the norm. I’m not worried. The Caps ultra keyed on him and it left players like Troch and Zibs with more room. Which they capitalized on. Zibs might start attracting that coverage instead of Pan if he keeps this 1.75PPG pace, until Pan starts dominating again with less strict coverage. With both of them going, it’s hard to focus on both lines. One will get looser coverage.

Maybe I need to watch him more closely. He wasn't very noticeable to me, and I didn't hear his name called often by the broadcasters.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019

Following the all star break we won 9 straight including wins over the Avs and Lightning right out of the gate. The Canes also have lost 2 players to injury in their last 5 games. Give me more time off every time.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Exactly. The Rangers not sweeping and winning in 5 against the Caps would not have been a big deal. They still would have had plenty of rest which I tried to explain to some. The rest can sometimes be a disadvantage if it's a full week or more.

Reactions: Rongomania
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad