Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I know he kinda flubbed the 2-0 play in OT passing back last minute rather than taking the shot, but other than that Joshua and that line were great again all game.

Loving Joshua's cellys as well haha.

Doesn't have the mitts to play permanently up the lineup but definitely a valuable top9 contributor.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I know he kinda flubbed the 2-0 play in OT passing back last minute rather than taking the shot, but other than that Joshua and that line were great again all game.

Loving Joshua's cellys as well haha.

Doesn't have the mitts to play permanently up the lineup but definitely a valuable top9 contributor.

He gives me shades of Sergio Momesso a bit. Has that occasional snarl, those occasional flashes of offensive brilliance, but also just a solid two-way player in between those.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Joshua is a player that owes the turnaround in his career to Tocchet imo...It was Tocchet that took Joshua from relative obscurity last season, and developed him into the type of player that Tocchet himself was later in his career..Joshua was given a lot minutes, and PK time, led the team in hits, and it paid off...He was Tocchet's pet project.

No wonder Tocchet was pissed when Joshua showed up to camp this season in less than optimal condition..As this season moves on, he's been going from strength to strength..Definitely the teams unsung hero.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Joshua is a player that owes the turnaround in his career to Tocchet imo...It was Tocchet that took Joshua from relative obscurity last season, and developed him into the type of player that Tocchet himself was later in his career..Joshua was given a lot minutes, and PK time, led the team in hits, and it paid off...He was Tocchet's pet project.

No wonder Tocchet was pissed when Joshua showed up to camp this season in less than optimal condition..As this season moves on, he's been going from strength to strength..Definitely the teams unsung hero.

joshua was very good under boudreau and back in st louis. he's been good under tocchet but you're not giving joshua enough credit

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He gives me shades of Sergio Momesso a bit. Has that occasional snarl, those occasional flashes of offensive brilliance, but also just a solid two-way player in between those.
Was going to say 2001-2004 Matt Cooke who was an elite 3rd line winger. I have a feeling Joshua is going to thrive in the playoffs....if he can be disciplined.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
joshua was very good under boudreau and back in st louis. he's been good under tocchet but you're not giving joshua enough credit
Disagree..His game has been taken to an entirely new level under Tocchet.

Prior to Tocchet, he was lucky to get !0 minutes of ice time per game...in a 4th line role.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Disagree..His game has been taken to an entirely new level under Tocchet.

Prior to Tocchet, he was lucky to get !0 minutes of ice time per game...in a 4th line role.

Agreed. And that’s not me criticizing his play under different coaches and teams - he’s been an NHL caliber player for a while, and he’s had some good stretches of play and justifiably stuck at this level. But this current run, IMO, is the best he has consistently played by a long shot.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. And that’s not me criticizing his play under different coaches and teams - he’s been an NHL caliber player for a while, and he’s had some good stretches of play and justifiably stuck at this level. But this current run, IMO, is the best he has consistently played by a long shot.

You could legitimately make a case that he's been the best player on the team in the last 5 games or so, on a team with multiple superstar players winning most of those games.

Reactions: DFAC

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Momesso was slower, had better hands (at least relative to the game pace of that era) and looked a lot heavier than his listed weight of 200 lbs. He played below the hash marks for the most part and scored a lot of high-effort goals against teams that couldn't keep him away from the crease and slot. When the game started speeding up considerably in the mid-nineties he couldn't adjust.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Momesso was slower, had better hands (at least relative to the game pace of that era) and looked a lot heavier than his listed weight of 200 lbs. He played below the hash marks for the most part and scored a lot of high-effort goals against teams that couldn't keep him away from the crease and slot. When the game started speeding up considerably in the mid-nineties he couldn't adjust.

For a while he was an instrumental part of the top line of Ronning - Linden - Momesso, so the fact that he could play up that high and contribute is a high watermark for Joshua to aim for.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
For a while he was an instrumental part of the top line of Ronning - Linden - Momesso, so the fact that he could play up that high and contribute is a high watermark for Joshua to aim for.

my memory of momesso is him cycling in and out of the rotating third line of underperforming nedved wingers, with sandlak, tom fergus, dixon ward, and dave capuano at various times.

all guys expected to be, and occasionally being, top six producers but all horribly inconsistent. but stashed on the third line, they were found money.

Reactions: MarkMM

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
A lot of our depth pieces are free agents at the end of the year, but I think Joshua has made a case that he's the most important to re-sign.

Garland is unlikely to get dealth with that contract and his low counting stats, so its important to make sure we have at least one guy on the roster who has chemistry with him. To date, that's been quite elusive, until Joshua stepped up. The third line center hasn't mattered much, as they've had success with both Suter + Blueger.

Combine that with the size, physicality, PK prowess, and how much he continues to develop under Tocchet, he'd be prio number out of the UFAs on the roster (Petey and Hronek are RFAs so I'm not counting them here).

Reactions: TruKnyte

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Not really sure how we can afford to lock up Joshua in a world where Pierre Engvall gets 3m x 7.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I would re-sign Blueger before Joshua.

But—given their play… I’m not sure that the Canucks can afford to sign either to term or to the cap hit they will be asking for.

If they have the production they had this month in June in the playoffs—they will be making +$4m each as a UFA. Champagne problem if that happens, I guess.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Basically, we just need to see which guys WANT to stick around. Good teams get players to sign at slight discounts, so, that’s what we’re going to need to do.

Considering guys like Joshua, Lafferty, and Blueger are on pace for career years, playing meaningful minutes, on a good team, I would say at least a couple of them will WANT to sign here and likely would be willing to do so at a bit less than market value. They could go to another team and not have this success, they know that.

Ideally, it would be nice to replace some of these guys from within if they want too much, but contending teams don’t dress line ups of rookies either. Podkolzin, Willander, Lekkermaki, etc will need to be brought in a bit slower than when we weren’t a playoff team.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Going to depend on how he finishes the year, originally thought he’d be $2M-$2.5M player, but if he keeps it up could be looking at $3M+ on the open market given his size and play style. Seems like the type that might also show up in the playoffs.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
By next year you could put Podkolzin with Garland and Suter and get similar or even better results.

I wouldn't let momentum cloud the fact he's a btm 6 player getting closer to 30. Not saying i dont want him back because i do and he's skating the best i've ever seen and is a load and quality 2 way guy but 1 year spikes and paying term plus could be dangerous.

Joshua could be argued has become similar to a player i wanted from Ottawa in Nick Paul. NP got 3.15 and 7yrs. DJ doesn't play C and doesn't have the track history or ability to anchor a 3rd line but it could become a very tough negotiation given this is one chance to cash in and at 28 you can bet he will try.

4yrs at 2.5 would be the most i would want to see. Lafferty at this stage has shown he drives his own success more. Hope they find common ground but Hoglander and Garland are better players who have elevated them both

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
By next year you could put Podkolzin with Garland and Suter and get similar or even better results.

I wouldn't let momentum cloud the fact he's a btm 6 player getting closer to 30. Not saying i dont want him back because i do and he's skating the best i've ever seen and is a load and quality 2 way guy but 1 year spikes and paying term plus could be dangerous.

Joshua could be argued has become similar to a player i wanted from Ottawa in Nick Paul. NP got 3.15 and 7yrs. DJ doesn't play C and doesn't have the track history or ability to anchor a 3rd line but it could become a very tough negotiation given this is one chance to cash in and at 28 you can bet he will try.

4yrs at 2.5 would be the most i would want to see. Lafferty at this stage has shown he drives his own success more. Hope they find common ground but Hoglander and Garland are better players who have elevated them both
Pretty sure Jeremy Colliton has been tasked with getting Podkolzin, Raty, Karlsson, and Bains ready by next season if they are needed to take over roles for Joshua, Blueger, and Lafferty.

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad