Player Discussion Dakota Joshua | Shut up and give him his money!

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Happy for him..a lot of posters here thought he was a bum, at the start of the season..Tocchet was disappointed in his conditioning, and gave him a kick in the ass.

He's an important part of the team, wins board battles, PK's, hits, drops the mitts..One of those guys that is somewhat unspectacular,..but you win with.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
And yet it seems half the trade proposals I've seen here or on other sites has him as a throw in for the other team, as the other fans don't think we know what we have in Dakota Joshua.

Reactions: Indiana

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Sign him for a couple years, 3rd line has been dynamite. Garland & Joshua’s contrasting styles complement each other nicely and they’re difficult and confusing for the opposition to defend against. They maintain possession and create chaos, plus he’s the only forward besides Miller that can drop the gloves and hold his own when needed.

Reactions: Indiana

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Happy for him..a lot of posters here thought he was a bum, at the start of the season..Tocchet was disappointed in his conditioning, and gave him a kick in the ass.

He's an important part of the team, wins board battles, PK's, hits, drops the mitts..One of those guys that is somewhat unspectacular,..but you win with.

Yep. Absent injuries and unless your are built like Byfuglien, being “in shape” is the bare minimum so he deserved being called out. On the other hand, a NHL season / track record in the NHL is a bigger sample size than preseason. We saw what Joshua was capable of last year and we saw what he is capable now.

I wonder why the Blues didn’t get more out of him. One would think Berube would appreciate what Joshua brings but then there’s also Blues management. Maybe it’s a case of Joshua being a late bloomer?

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yep. Absent injuries and unless your are built like Byfuglien, being “in shape” is the bare minimum so he deserved being called out. On the other hand, a NHL season / track record in the NHL is a bigger sample size than preseason. We saw what Joshua was capable of last year and we saw what he is capable now.

I wonder why the Blues didn’t get more out of him. One would think Berube would appreciate what Joshua brings but then there’s also Blues management. Maybe it’s a case of Joshua being a late bloomer?

If you look at his progression, I think you could argue that they did get a lot out of him. Wasn't exactly shooting out the lights in his final years in College, and traded for futures, and then the Blues brought him along from a rookie pro season that didn't exactly scream future NHLer.

Reactions: Chiripa20

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you look at his progression, I think you could argue that they did get a lot out of him. Wasn't exactly shooting out the lights in his final years in College, and traded for futures, and then the Blues brought him along from a rookie pro season that didn't exactly scream future NHLer.

Not often you see a guy like this who has massive improvement every year from age 23-27 to go from an ECHLer to a valuable contributing NHLer.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
His recent scoring streak will likely level out, but he’s also been great on the forecheck and on the PK. UFA at the end of the year - I wonder if / when the Canucks are going to talk extension with his camp. He’s been a solid find.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
His recent scoring streak will likely level out, but he’s also been great on the forecheck and on the PK. UFA at the end of the year - I wonder if / when the Canucks are going to talk extension with his camp. He’s been a solid find.

Tocchet seems to be a huge fan so Im assuming we will try our best to resign him. Same with Bleug

Canucks finally have a good bottom 6

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Contract discussions need to start ASAP if they haven't started already. His skillset is extremely difficult to replace and look at what an (IMO inferior) player like Tanner Jeannot cost on the trade market. Lock him up before the rest of the league figures it out.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Contract discussions need to start ASAP if they haven't started already. His skillset is extremely difficult to replace and look at what an (IMO inferior) player like Tanner Jeannot cost on the trade market. Lock him up before the rest of the league figures it out.
would you go longer than 2 years, or do you think his camp would want shorter in hopes of driving up value? 4 year deal at $1.5 would be really appealing.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
would you go longer than 2 years, or do you think his camp would want shorter in hopes of driving up value? 4 year deal at $1.5 would be really appealing.

I would go longer than 2. He will be 28 and given the type of game he plays does he really want to bet on himself if a longer deal is available? Of course the money has to make sense.

Reactions: Chiripa20

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

Joshua is a better player than Jeannot?

Jeannot scored 24 goals in 2021-2022.... Joshua's career high is 11....

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

He’s probably not inferior but they’re pretty much the same type of player. Jeannot had 24 goals but was shooting at 19.4% that year. Both top 5 in the league in hits this season.

He’s in the small rare category of players like Jeannot, Maroon and Foligno of truly big and strong forwards that play a real tough brand of hockey but also have the offensive upside to play much higher up in the line up and contribute offensively. IMO, some really good top 9 guys. Not your average Clutterbuck, Bellemare, Kolesar types where all they do is hit and bleed scoring chances every time they’re on the ice.

I can see why he didn’t want to identify himself as a 4th line crash and bang/enforcer type. He knows he has the hands and offensive mindset to contribute more and would much rather use his hands to contribute offensively than just be a meatball face puncher. He reminds me of Maroon in that sense although Maroon has definitely turned more of a meathead the last couple of years but this certainly wasn’t the case with him during his later Anaheim years/Edmonton/New Jersey/St Louis days. In Tampa he had more of a different role as an enforcer as his foot speed started to decrease and with the crazy depth they had but make no mistake that guy can still play decent hockey as he’s shown in Minnesota.

If Joshua can further expand on his recent level of play by being consistent, essentially you have a Jeannot/Maroon/Foligno type player on your team. I’ve always loved guys like that because they almost always exceed expectations with how well they can contribute offensively for the type of player they are and where they play in the line up.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

That 24-goal season looks like a total fluke. He never did anything before that to indicate that kind of ability and hasn't done anything since. He was in the ECHL at the start of the season before and scored 6 goals the season after.

Joshua outscored Jeannot last year, is outscoring him this year, and is a better PK/defensive forward.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I agree he’s a good player and very underrated. I’d probably take TJ over him being 1/4 neanderthal but i see what your cookin’

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad