Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

ShiftyNifty16

Blow it up, burn it down, hit reset and start over
Apr 11, 2014
Earth
I wanted to check in with everyone now that the dust has settled and apathy is sadly setting in. Usually we would all see this as the end of the road for this core and the beginning of a long re-tool throughout the off season.

Except next year is the Boston Bruins 100th Anniversary celebration. This was set to be the after-party and now seems to be the funeral run.

Do you think management and ownership will be forced to go all-in yet again because this is the centennial year? Does next years 'celebration' force ownership and management to re-think this off season?

Does the centennial have any impact on what Patrice Bergeron does?

Can they salvage next season in the eyes of so many fans who see this core now as more along the lines of chokers than performers under pressure?

Will you tune in for centennial events or is it all overshadowed by the end of this season?

all overshadowed by the end of this season

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Honestly… I was crazy excited for the centennial, but after the playoff crapout against the Panthers, I really don’t give a shit.

I was going to suggest we pool our resources and buy one of the tables at this gala dinner they’re going to have, but I honestly don’t care anymore. This years playoff exit reminded me of the long and inglorious history of ineptitude that has plagued the Boston Bruins almost since the very beginning.

Had they won the Cup, or at least put out a better showing, I might have bought the merch; inscribed a puck in my father’s and grandfather’s memory; or tuned in for the specials and retrospectives on NESN.

Now, I’m just looking forward to football season because I’m optimistic about the Patriots this year.

I’ll go to a home game vs. Montreal as has been my tradition over the past several seasons. If that gets me re-interested in the Bruins - awesome. If not, I have family; friends; and hobbies to spend my time on.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't think the centennial season really matters from an on-ice perspective. I don't think they have any intention of deviating from the plan they had all along, regardless of how the season ended.

Most likely true, but you know jacobs is giddy for the marketing campaign to line his pockets even further with some new merchandise sales.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I'd be shocked if the Bruins decided to tear it down and rebuild (regardless of the significance of the season). They've invested 100's of millions in the future of this team (Pasta,Mac). They have no draft picks for the next 2 years (to reap the benefits of sucking). And it's just never been their M.O.. They'll ice the best team they can next year, and the year after, and the year after...

I might be alone but I think Sweeney has some magic up his sleeve this off season. Always been a GM to swing for the fences(for better or worse), but he’s always had the stones to at least make the move.

I still think he has a 2015 style offseason in him, but maybe with a twist where he takes those assets and turns it into a player that can help now and matches the youth movement/core of pasta/McAvoy/swayman.

Idk maybe I’ll be wrong and I’m just hopeful, but I certainly don’t think it’s out of the question based on his past

Reactions: PlayMakers

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
After watching a super stacked team of veterans roll over the league (and then get tossed in the first round), I think the best marketing angle would be to embrace the youth. They can't top this regular season and they can't add more big name vets than they had this year (because of cap space), so really, getting excited about youth is the only angle left.

Swayman, Lohrei, Lauko, Lysell or Merkulov, maybe Steen or McLaughlin, Bussi...
Besides Swayman and Bussi why would people be excited about the Providence Bruins because that is where the rest of the players on that list will be. Lauko might be on the fourth line, which I endorse.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Fenway Park celebrated its 100th year in 2012.

Not sure if anything meaningful or impactful happened that season, but they did win the World Series the following year.

Photo attached for reference:
1686586615707.jpeg

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Besides Swayman and Bussi why would people be excited about the Providence Bruins because that is where the rest of the players on that list will be. Lauko might be on the fourth line, which I endorse.
Every guy on that list has a chance of making it. I'd say Merkulov is likely to start in Boston and could be part of the reason they're willing to part with Hall. McLaughlin should have made it last year. I don't expect Lysell or Lohrei to make it but they are high end talents and talent like that can sometimes skip a step developmentally.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Every guy on that list has a chance of making it. I'd say Merkulov is likely to start in Boston and could be part of the reason they're willing to part with Hall. McLaughlin should have made it last year. I don't expect Lysell or Lohrei to make it but they are high end talents and talent like that can sometimes skip a step developmentally.
I think they will gladly part with Hall under any circumstance, given they can dump his 6mil dollar cap hit.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Honestly… I was crazy excited for the centennial, but after the playoff crapout against the Panthers, I really don’t give a shit.

I was going to suggest we pool our resources and buy one of the tables at this gala dinner they’re going to have, but I honestly don’t care anymore. This years playoff exit reminded me of the long and inglorious history of ineptitude that has plagued the Boston Bruins almost since the very beginning.

Had they won the Cup, or at least put out a better showing, I might have bought the merch; inscribed a puck in my father’s and grandfather’s memory; or tuned in for the specials and retrospectives on NESN.

Now, I’m just looking forward to football season because I’m optimistic about the Patriots this year.

I’ll go to a home game vs. Montreal as has been my tradition over the past several seasons. If that gets me re-interested in the Bruins - awesome. If not, I have family; friends; and hobbies to spend my time on.
Well said. Zero interest in the Bruins next year until the playoffs, and even then (if they make it), I'm not getting fooled/emotionally invested again. I'm out on this core of players.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Very sharp crest! A jersey with that crest on the front and the centennial bear patch on the shoulders will be awesome. Whoever is designing this centennial stuff is knocking it out of the park.

Reactions: BMC and Bruinaura

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Well said. Zero interest in the Bruins next year until the playoffs, and even then (if they make it), I'm not getting fooled/emotionally invested again. I'm out on this core of players.
Agree. I wasn't even angry when they lost, I just didn't care. Like, I have never been invested in a regular season like that before, it just made me not care. I am usually all about the off season and roster building, then I see Taylor hall get traded and I'm like, well I guess we'll find out if this is good or bad next April.

I am the biggest jersey design freak since I was a little kid, Bruins announce a probably perfect logo, and I'm like, cool, maybe I'll get one in a few years.

It's making me not even care about the Sox regular season (I know they have no shot this year, but watching all the games of the rise of Mookie / Devers / Bogarts was so special for those three years and got to cap it off in person for game 5 in LA). I know it's worth it... But is it?

Reactions: Midship

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad