Bruins Centennial Bruins official book 'BLOOD SWEAT & 100 YEARS' lights the lamp

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Now that I have them in-hand I second the Booth and Sinden books. Both have a lot of cool photos and info. The Sinden book in particular is really interesting because it has stuff in it from the early decades that I had not come across before. The photos in the Booth book are fantastic since the book is oversized. Good companion pieces for the centennial book.
There is a picture in the Sinden book that is frozen in my memory.

An overview shot of the Garden taken in the 50s where the stands are not full, the concession workers are watching by the portal and that is the way the place looked 10 years later when I was a kid.

My dad used to kid he brought me to games because I could read the analog clock.

Last edited:
Reactions: missingchicklet

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Seems like everyone believes it was worth the price. Investigating..
Picked up my copy at the Garden store yesterday

I was pleased that it looks like a top quality product - haven't read it but a quick browse shows some interesting pics and a set of articles highlighting the game and the players for each decade. The all time roster at the back is a nice touch

My take- for $50 ( minus the STH discount ) its worth the price

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Picked up my copy at the Garden store yesterday

I was pleased that it looks like a top quality product - haven't read it but a quick browse shows some interesting pics and a set of articles highlighting the game and the players for each decade. The all time roster at the back is a nice touch

My take- for $50 ( minus the STH discount ) its worth the price

Thanks for the review.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
There is a picture in the Sinden book that is frozen in my memory.

An overview shot of the Garden taken in the 50s where the stands are not full, the concession workers are watching by the portal and that is the way the place looked 10 years later when I was a kid.

My dad used to kid he brought me to games because I could read the analog clock.

I found the one you are talking about. There are several neat overview photos of the Garden in the book. Always amazes me when looking at photos how compact everything was in the Garden.

The more photos of the past I see the more I realize two things. 1) Dit Clapper was an absolute unit. 2) Frank Brimsek could have had a successful career in Hollywood. Had the looks of an actor/model.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

Santa made a boo boo! :xbg:

And brought 2 Bruins Centennial books to my house. I’d like to regift the extra to an HF Bruins fan. Just “Like” this post if you want to be considered, and I will pick a name at random on (US) Thanksgiving Day to receive the commemorative tome.​

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

And brought 2 Bruins Centennial books to my house. I’d like to regift the extra to an HF Bruins fan. Just “Like” this post if you want to be considered, and I will pick a name at random on (US) Thanksgiving Day to receive the commemorative tome.​

Very nice of you Susan to do this.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

That's very kind of you

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019

A very fine gesture, indeed!
The person lucky enough to receive this gift, will be very happy!.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
1700402231629.png

Saw this on fb this morning. Too good not to share here.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Crap, I liked the post because of your kind gesture before realizing it also put me in consideration for the book. I don't want to be in the drawing since I already have the book.

• Haha
Reactions: sooshii

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I used to have this old Bruins book, might be hockey in general, hardcover, kinda orange if I remember right. I can't remember the name of it but my grandfather bought me it like 25 years ago.

Nvm, i had an epiphany as I was writing that post and remembered the name.

'Great Book of Hockey'.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Bruins sent me this as a gift

Charlie Jacobs ain’t his dad and I think he is doing a great job - really evolved as someone who felt uncomfortable in the limelight

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
And there was a haze of cigarette smoke everywhere. The Garden always smelled like stale beer, cig smoke and hot dogs. Wouldn't change a thing.

My father used to say the old lighting, like in the 50s, was dropped lights and you could see the smoke cloud right above the ice.
I would come home every night and throw all my clothes in the washing machine and take a shower and wash my hair to get the cigarette smoke out of me and my clothes from that place

I think I got same kenmore washer and dryer - not certain but I swear it’s 35 years old

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I would come home every night and throw all my clothes in the washing machine and take a shower and wash my hair to get the cigarette smoke out of me and my clothes from that place

I think I got same kenmore washer and dryer - not certain but I swear it’s 35 years old

When I bought my new place, I insisted on getting the basic top load washer and matching dryer. Those things last forever. Anything fancy dies in 5 years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
When I bought my new place, I insisted on getting the basic top load washer and matching dryer. Those things last forever. Anything fancy dies in 5 years.
What I got - been 40 years

Reactions: jgatie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad