Player Discussion Brandon Carlo III

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
I admit, I have not been a big supporter of Carlo's injury induced decline over the last 3-4 years. But if, "THIS" version of Carlo stays "HEALTHY", then he's back to meeting and maybe surpassing my expectation of him from his 2nd year.

He is really making a difference, especially in the absence of Forbort on the PK.

Sometimes its beneficial to be wrong!!:D:sarcasm:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I admit, I have not been a big supporter of Carlo's injury induced decline over the last 3-4 years. But if, "THIS" version of Carlo stays "HEALTHY", then he's back to meeting and maybe surpassing my expectation of him from his 2nd year.

He is really making a difference, especially in the absence of Forbort on the PK.

Sometimes its beneficial to be wrong!!:D:sarcasm:

The issue with #25 is, I still see him exposing himself to getting hammered on the wall.
If he can reduce this I would feel a lot more positive about him going forward.

Guy still literally falls not touched, more than any player who skates well I have ever seen in my life.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
He's been exposing himself less or learning to take a hit lately. Will it continue.
TBD.

FWIW, Taylor Hall has trouble staying on his feet, so does/did Debrusk at times, along the wall.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fortunate enough to sit right behind net first and third periods and can’t say enough good about Carlo. He was an A list Cassidy whipping boy unfortunately some of it was might have been due to Carlo being Kevin Dean guy.

Glad to see the Twitter hockey GMs have moved off Carlo to something else

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
The issue with #25 is, I still see him exposing himself to getting hammered on the wall.
If he can reduce this I would feel a lot more positive about him going forward.

Guy still literally falls not touched, more than any player who skates well I have ever seen in my life.
Zboril is far worse, he can't even cross over without falling. Fwiw, I have seen others who would fall over much more easily.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Carlo has always been my favorite D. Positively shuts down the top forwards. Now with Lindholm he will be even tougher to score against and he gives Lindholm the opportunity to be more offensive. Shut down D men are always underestimated for what the do by fans but not by coaches.

Reactions: bruinshoper

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Best defenseman on the series.

Really strong play. Wasn’t perfect but played strong compared to everyone else.

Strong play? He was terrible just like the rest of them. He just happened to be the best turd among a pile of turds.

At least he didn't fall down as often as he usually does. Lindholm was too busy doing all the falling for him. Honest to hockey god Lindholm must of fell at least once per shift last night.

Reactions: duffy

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Strong play? He was terrible just like the rest of them. He just happened to be the best turd among a pile of turds.

At least he didn't fall down as often as he usually does. Lindholm was too busy doing all the falling for him. Honest to hockey god Lindholm must of fell at least once per shift last night.

Disagree. I thought he was the one who played harder and faster than his regular season. He showed what he could do in future playoff round. Keeper for me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Disagree. I thought he was the one who played harder and faster than his regular season. He showed what he could do in future playoff round. Keeper for me.

I felt his work defensively in breaking up plays was solid. But his decision-making with the puck wasn't good but that has always been an issue for him, regular season or playoffs.

I don't care if he's back but I'm also OK if he's moved on. We've been watching Carlo since the Fall of 2016 and quite frankly I've seen enough.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Carlo's play improved, IMO, this season and especially in this last series. Sure he still makes some wrong judgements on D-zone exits but his overall performance showed maturity and development. I'm comfortable that his play will continue to show results next season and beyond.

Reactions: NDiesel

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I felt his work defensively in breaking up plays was solid. But his decision-making with the puck wasn't good but that has always been an issue for him, regular season or playoffs.

I don't care if he's back but I'm also OK if he's moved on. We've been watching Carlo since the Fall of 2016 and quite frankly I've seen enough.
I thought his decision making was pretty good compared to some of the guys like Lindy/Mac/Gryz who you expect MUCH more from in that regards.

IMO I too would say he was our best D man this series, think he was one of the very few who showed up to play and misses most of the blame for this choke job. That said if it helps rebuild the C position then I'd move him.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Best defenseman on the series.

Really strong play. Wasn’t perfect but played strong compared to everyone else.
If you are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Brandon Carlo is your best Dman, you shouldn't be in the SCPOs! Probably why they are not!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I thought his decision making was pretty good compared to some of the guys like Lindy/Mac/Gryz who you expect MUCH more from in that regards.

IMO I too would say he was our best D man this series, think he was one of the very few who showed up to play and misses most of the blame for this choke job. That said if it helps rebuild the C position then I'd move him.

Do you get any blame when....

In Game 2, is completely on the hook for laying a muffin up to the Panthers, failing to make an easy exit resulting in a turnover and Panthers break-away goal.

In Game 6, flubs the puck behind the net leading to the sequence that results in the tying 5-5 goal.

Is directly involved in that debacle behind the net in Game 7 resulting in the Panthers series winning goal.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Carlo looks good only because the rest of the D-corps were worse than he was.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Do you get any blame when....

In Game 2, is completely on the hook for laying a muffin up to the Panthers, failing to make an easy exit resulting in a turnover and Panthers break-away goal.

In Game 6, flubs the puck behind the net leading to the sequence that results in the tying 5-5 goal.

Is directly involved in that debacle behind the net in Game 7 resulting in the Panthers series winning goal.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Carlo looks good only because the rest of the D-corps were worse than he was.
I'm sure he wasn't perfect, but in general he was doing his usual shtick of breaking up plays with his stick and reach and was doing a good job at taking the body and moving guys in front of the net.

If it's off the top of your head I also question what happened prior to those moments. A lot of times this series one mistake compounded into more and plenty of blame was to be given to the original person who failed to clear it as well as the subsequent fails.

But I'll concede im sure he has some blame in the series, but IMO he was one of the few guys who played at their level or above the entire series.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm sure he wasn't perfect, but in general he was doing his usual shtick of breaking up plays with his stick and reach and was doing a good job at taking the body and moving guys in front of the net.

If it's off the top of your head I also question what happened prior to those moments. A lot of times this series one mistake compounded into more and plenty of blame was to be given to guys.

But I'll concede im sure he has some blame in the series, but IMO he was one of the few guys who played at their level or above the entire series...just my two cents of course.

I'm torn on Carlo to be honest. I love his skating and his stick work. Those are his two truly elite skills. The rest? Sometimes I don't know.

But it doesn't matter he fits what Sweeney and Co. look for and he's going nowhere I don't think on a cash strapped team while meanwhile many would argue he's on a great contract.

Reactions: NDiesel

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
If you are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Brandon Carlo is your best Dman, you shouldn't be in the SCPOs! Probably why they are not!
Probably not the best statement you have ever made , that is how you go further in the playoffs when someone that you do not expect steps up and plays well , it just too bad the players that you expect to be on top of their game did not do their part......

Reactions: bergeronsboys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad