GDT: Blues Draft Day 2023

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Who is your big surprise to enter the first round and biggest surprise to drop out of it?
I'll go with Kumpulainen.
I can see a team being enamored with his size and physical game.

As for dropping out of the 1st; really seems like that's going to be Heidt. And I honestly have no idea why.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
So, little prediction for tonight for the first half of the first round. This is not a ranking, but mostly linking teams to players they've shown interest in (or fit the profile).

01 Chicago: Bedard
02 Anaheim: Fantili
03 Columbus: Carlsson
04 San Jose: Smith
05 Montreal: Reinbacher
06 Arizona: Leonard
07 Philadelphia: Michkov
08 Washington: Dvorsky
09 Detroit: Honzek
10 St.Louis: Wood
11 Vancouver: Willander
12 Arizona: Benson
13 Buffalo: Simashev
14 Pittsburgh: Yager
15 Nashville: Danielson
16 Calgary: Perreault
17 Detroit: Moore

Reactions: stl76

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Army saying that we'll likely make 3 1st round picks tonight, but could have some movement. He didn't like the market for players.

Also mentioned that we met with Michkov. I'd imagine every team in the top 10 met with him, regardless of how interested they are, but that would really be a bold move if we are able to move into that Montreal spot for him.

Reactions: Blueswin and 542365

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Could be this....

Or this...

Attachments

• R.jpeg
    R.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
  • FzJmKSQacAAGECK.jpeg
    FzJmKSQacAAGECK.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Army saying that we'll likely make 3 1st round picks tonight, but could have some movement. He didn't like the market for players.

Also mentioned that we met with Michkov. I'd imagine every team in the top 10 met with him, regardless of how interested they are, but that would really be a bold move if we are able to move into that Montreal spot for him.

I hope we make all 3 picks and keep stockpiling prospects. It will pay off in 2-3 years. We may be picking in the top 10 again next year. oh well, things will get better after that.

cmcalum

Jul 12, 2018
After doing my reviews of the draft candidates really don’t want a D with our first choice. I’m hoping for either Honzek or Danielson. Hoping Simashev lasts till 25 or if it gets to 22 or 23 to trade a third to move up to get him. Looking for But at 29 hopefully. I would be thrilled with these 3 picks.

Kylester

Feb 28, 2020
Southern California
can anyone tell me how to watch the draft? It says ESPN but is that ESPN+? are they the same thing? Does it need a subscription?
It's on ESPN. Just set my DVR.

ESPN+ is their subscription based streaming service. If ESPN is already part of your cable service, you don't need ESPN+.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I'm hoping Reinbacher falls to us.

And perhaps by some grand miracle, Simashev falls to us at 25.

I know far fetched, but that'd be an epic draft.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I'm hoping Reinbacher falls to us.

And perhaps by some grand miracle, Simashev falls to us at 25.

I know far fetched, but that'd be an epic draft.
Falls to us where? At 10? That would be a huge mistake. Reinbacher isn’t a number one D. We would regret it down the road when one of the forwards that were available is a stud, while Reinbacher is, maybe, a 2.

Reactions: Blueswin

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
So, little prediction for tonight for the first half of the first round. This is not a ranking, but mostly linking teams to players they've shown interest in (or fit the profile).

01 Chicago: Bedard
02 Anaheim: Fantili
03 Columbus: Carlsson
04 San Jose: Smith
05 Montreal: Reinbacher
06 Arizona: Leonard
07 Philadelphia: Michkov
08 Washington: Dvorsky
09 Detroit: Honzek
10 St.Louis: Wood
11 Vancouver: Willander
12 Arizona: Benson
13 Buffalo: Simashev
14 Pittsburgh: Yager
15 Nashville: Danielson
16 Calgary: Perreault
17 Detroit: Moore

I hope we don't waste our pick on Wood.

The guy simply cannot skate at an NHL level. Might not end up much better than the guy we just declined to QO.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Falls to us where? At 10? That would be a huge mistake. Reinbacher isn’t a number one D. We would regret it down the road when one of the forwards that were available is a stud, while Reinbacher is, maybe, a 2.

I actually expect him to go no later than 8.

Falling to us at 10 would be a gift.

Reactions: 542365

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I'll go with Kumpulainen.
I can see a team being enamored with his size and physical game.

As for dropping out of the 1st; really seems like that's going to be Heidt. And I honestly have no idea why.
Wow. That is a bold one. I was thinking about him with our fourth round pick. It seems he is always slated between 80 and 120. I am thinking, Carson Rehkopf.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
I actually expect him to go no later than 8.

Falling to us at 10 would be a gift.
He’s the top rated D in one of the worst D classes in a long time. He will get picked higher than he should and that team will regret it. A top ten pick should be a top player in a draft like this. Top line forward or number one D. He isn’t either.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
He’s the top rated D in one of the worst D classes in a long time. He will get picked higher than he should and that team will regret it. A top ten pick should be a top player in a draft like this. Top line forward or number one D. He isn’t either.
So Dvorsky isn't a top-10 pick? Most publications view his projection as a good 2nd line player once he fully matures.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
I hope we don't waste our pick on Wood.

The guy simply cannot skate at an NHL level. Might not end up much better than the guy we just declined to QO.

My personal rankings look totally different, but I wouldn't be surprised if we end up drafting Wood if a guy like Honzek is already off the board (both St.Louis and Detroit apparantly have been very interested in him). Personally, if the top-9 is the same as I mentioned, I'd go for Benson at 10.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

Wow, that's quite the take on this draft.

OK, name 5 of the last 10 years that had a better set of Ds on draft day.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
What does Dvorsky have to do with that discussion?
If your barometer for a top-10 pick is that of a top line player, whether on defense or offense, then does that apply to Dvorsky as well?

Reinbacher isn't worthy of a top-10 pick because you view him as a 2nd pairing player. Dvorsky is largely considered a safe bet to be a 2nd line player once he develops. By the logic you laid out, then Dvorsky is not a top-10 pick either.

Reactions: The Electrician

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I think you are extremely optimistic about what a normal pick from 6-10 generally becomes. Getting a #2 defenseman at #10 is far from the worst case scenario here. Outside of the top 5 and possibly Leonard, i find it hard to believe that every forward rated from 1-10 in this draft projects to be a top line player.

Depending on the curve of when a Reinbacher or a Willander or someone in that mold that is likely a #2/#3 defenseman reaches that threshold it's better than you can realistically expect with pick #10. If they reach that in 2 years or so that's a very valuable pick and player on an ELC.

I think there are some good bets that could project to be in that top line/2nd line mould available still at 10, but it's far from a certainty.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Wow, that's quite the take on this draft.

OK, name 5 of the last 10 years that had a better set of Ds on draft day.
A lot of people have said it’s a weak draft on D and in G. How about you show me all of the drafts from the last 40 years that are worse, on D, than this year and provide all of the names. (Isn’t this fun!)
If your barometer for a top-10 pick is that of a top line player, whether on defense or offense, then does that apply to Dvorsky as well?

Reinbacher isn't worthy of a top-10 pick because you view him as a 2nd pairing player. Dvorsky is largely considered a safe bet to be a 2nd line player once he develops. By the logic you laid out, then Dvorsky is not a top-10 pick either.
Dvorsky is rated just out of the top ten in most places. That being said, he is also considered the elite two-way prospect in this draft. Very different than picking a number two, at best, D in the top ten.

I apologize, guys, for having opinions that don’t fit what you think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad