All Purpose Media Thread

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'm used to having GCL, but only when I'm living outside of Nashville. Because GCL relies on your IP address, I would assume you're permanently blacked out of all Preds games even if it's the away team feed but I'm not positive.

Yeah that's what I am trying to figure out. For these games it's like FSTN is saying Screw the fans. It would be nice to find a way to watch these games. I already have tickets to 26 games and would prefer to not have to buy tickets to these just to watch them.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The blackout rules are archaic and need some serious revision. It makes no sense that I can pay for temporary access to channels outside my programming tier in other areas, but not have access to the equivalent channel in my local area. They'd still be getting me to watch their ads, and theoretically, they'd get the same slice of the subscription fee that the other channels get.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The blackout rules are archaic and need some serious revision. It makes no sense that I can pay for temporary access to channels outside my programming tier in other areas, but not have access to the equivalent channel in my local area. They'd still be getting me to watch their ads, and theoretically, they'd get the same slice of the subscription fee that the other channels get.

For CI maybe, but doesn't GCL not air the channel's ads? I know MLB.tv doesn't, they generally show a "Commercial Break In Progress" message.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Gamecenter is awesome. Well worth it. I love being able to use it when traveling. When I'm at home, I watch through Apple TV. The only problem is that it's slightly delayed, as much as 3-5 minutes, so I don't get score updates to my phone and stay off the message boards during games.

As for blackouts, I used to have a big problem with it. I'm in Atlanta, so I'm technically in both Preds and Canes viewing area. The problem was that both were on the same channel. It didn't matter which one was playing. Both were blacked out. It was obnoxious. Then I figured out you could use Chrome with Stealthy add on. Now no games are blacked out, even locals. That obviously doesn't work on Apple TV, but at least I can watch the games on my computer.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Gamecenter is awesome. Well worth it. I love being able to use it when traveling. When I'm at home, I watch through Apple TV. The only problem is that it's slightly delayed, as much as 3-5 minutes, so I don't get score updates to my phone and stay off the message boards during games.

As for blackouts, I used to have a big problem with it. I'm in Atlanta, so I'm technically in both Preds and Canes viewing area. The problem was that both were on the same channel. It didn't matter which one was playing. Both were blacked out. It was obnoxious. Then I figured out you could use Chrome with Stealthy add on. Now no games are blacked out, even locals. That obviously doesn't work on Apple TV, but at least I can watch the games on my computer.

Thanks for the tip, it might be something to try. Which would let me put it on my TV with Google's new Chromecast device (I love that thing!).

I also saw someone post this on the main board: http://www5.hockeystreams.com/
I am not sure how well it works but it looks like you can pay to use it for 1 day so I may try that and see how it works for a game.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
For CI maybe, but doesn't GCL not air the channel's ads? I know MLB.tv doesn't, they generally show a "Commercial Break In Progress" message.

I'm blanking on if GCL airs the ads or not. I want to say I think they normally do, but I could easily be wrong on that. I hate that MLB.tv doesn't by the way.

One cool thing GCL does is if you cant catch the game live, they have a full broadcast of the game about 90 minutes after it ends, which is the complete broadcast that skips only commercials and intermissions. Then they have a bunch of archived stuff from the last few years, then classic games going all the way back to the 60s, sorted by decade and team.

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
First season with Comcast... question...

I moved into my home in May, and got the baseball package from Comcast and was appalled to see two games in HD and the rest in standard.

In Los Angeles I had DirecTV for years, and by the end of my time there, virtually ALL games were in HD.

So, since I have too many friggin' trees in my yard, I am stuck with Comcast, and want to order Center Ice... OR...

I have a Samsung "Smart TV" ... should I just do the NHL package through the league, and will I get the desired effect on my television?

The NHL.com website really downplays "television," using some Sony TV, and Apple TV as the two models they claim this will work under.

Thoughts from locals, please... and thank you :)

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Some of this depends on what games you want. If you want out of market games, the NHL streaming package can be very useful. It's also handy if you're traveling - I've streamed games with my tablet so I could watch them in a hotel room on the road. But if you want local games they're not going to be available without jumping through some questionable hoops, since they block games based on your IP address instead of being based on whether that game is being broadcast at your location.

What I mean is, if you want to watch Nashville games that aren't televised locally, the NHL streaming package isn't the best way to go. But if you're interested in keeping up with the Kings, it can be very doable. I'd want to be sure I had a pretty reliable and high speed Internet connection first, but I'm sure you have that covered.

I don't know if it would work with your Samsung TV. But if you have a PS3, XBox 360 or similar device they do have apps for those. You can use them to stream to your TV. Or you can hook up a laptop or tablet to your HDTV if you have the right cables. Of course that's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

As far as the games on Center Ice being in regular-definition on cable ... well, that's why I dropped Charter and moved to DirecTV.

Fo Shea Shea

Nov 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Easy.....Game Center Live. I have it on my XBox (also available on the Crapstation) and my iPad. All games in HD. Home and away feeds. I can watch 4 games at once. Best thing going.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Hey guys. I thought I would merge a couple threads and make this the place for all media talk. All thoughts on TV, radio, Gamecenter, announcers, etc. can be put in here.

Thanks! Perds!!

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'll start this thread with a question. I was up there on business about a month ago, and was listening to 102.5 in the morning. On my way back in the afternoon, they were talking about financial information like investing and stocks and seemed like a different format. Is this what they normally do?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'll start this thread with a question. I was up there on business about a month ago, and was listening to 102.5 in the morning. On my way back in the afternoon, they were talking about financial information like investing and stocks and seemed like a different format. Is this what they normally do?

I believe they have Dave Ramsey on in the afternoons. Why that's on a sports channel, I don't know. I guess they just didn't have enough programming to fill the slot.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
AM 830 and FM 105.7 airs the first portion of "Game Night" with Willy, Darin, and Plaz. Then "The Game" picks up the final 3 hours. In the first place, how minor league is that type of programming??? And, like today, I can't pick up the Murfressboro station so it's the AM station if I want to hear them; of course, that gets knocked off the air with the slightest hint of rain or storm activity. THANK GOODNESS I HAVE XM Radio.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
The problem is, on XM you don't get any hockey talk except Boomer and Laughlin talking about the Leafs' fourth line or the latest heavy metal act to hit the ACC, or prattling on with Phil Espisito like he actually knows what's going on in the game today.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Signed up for GCL since I run 3 fantasy teams. You will sometimes get ads if it is a local/regional broadcast. Ads during HNIC are blacked out. Canadian ads are fun to watch and many of them involve hockey.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The problem is, on XM you don't get any hockey talk except Boomer and Laughlin talking about the Leafs' fourth line or the latest heavy metal act to hit the ACC, or prattling on with Phil Espisito like he actually knows what's going on in the game today.

I don't think the NHL channel is that bad, but it is quite canned. There's not much strong opinion given. Just interviews with coaches, GM's, and current news.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't get alot of preds coverage out here for obvious reasons. Heading to the gym later before the game and was wondering if there's a preds season preview podcast or something along those lines that I could listen to. Cheers.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Signed up for GCL and have to say thusfar I am quite impressed with the quality of the stream. As good as my D* HD feed. So far I am a happy camper

The PH Factor

Mar 18, 2013
Washington, DC
Did an announcement ever come out about which 50 games are being broadcast in the Atlanta market and which networks are carrying them? If it comes about, think this represents an increase in the number of Atlanta broadcasts since they became a Preds market.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
(Somewhat) OT: Does anyone else have major issues with 102.5's signal?

What's up with this station? I hardly ever get a signal from them that I would consider decent. They're our "flagship" station but I think it's a joke of one. Their programming is bad even without squeezing in the Dave Ramsey Show in the middle of the day. No, they don't talk about hockey (minus Mark Howard in the mornings at times) but I think 104.5 is light years better than the castaways on 102.5. Willy is fine, but I think every show on that station sucks in comparison to its 104.5 counterpart. The only possible exception is the morning show. Of course I only know that through listening to it on a TuneIn Radio app on my phone since their signal is so weak. I live in Donelson so I'm not in a remote location or anything.

I don't know why it bugs me so much. Maybe because they try and talk about how they actually like the Preds and they're the flagship station but no one can freaking hear it anyway, then the team looks bad for teaming up with a crummy one. Is anyone else having ongoing issues with this? I've heard people in Murfreesboro don't have as much of a problem or something but no one within 70 miles of Nashville should have issues listening to a "major" radio station.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad