NFL: 2024 NFL off-season news & notes discussion thread

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

Brock Purdy, final pick

That draft was bad on paper and worked out that way. Pickett only went 1st round because of his position. I remember the pundits trying to say Willis was a 1st rounder and he'll probably be cut this camp.

EDIT: Replied to this before I saw the posts above saying the same thing.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That draft was bad on paper and worked out that way. Pickett only went 1st round because of his position. I remember the pundits trying to say Willis was a 1st rounder and he'll probably be cut this camp.

EDIT: Replied to this before I saw the posts above saying the same thing.
Some teams get committed to outsmarting themselves because they think they're supposed to do something. Willis was really supposed to be the second QB, but I don't think people saw him and Ridder falling to round 3. Maybe Ridder was.

We saw it again with Levis, and he's actually looked good.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Dallas, bet on him coming back from an ACL and paid him vs. retain Cooper. Just a bad decision.

Some teams get committed to outsmarting themselves because they think they're supposed to do something. Willis was really supposed to be the second QB, but I don't think people saw him and Ridder falling to round 3. Maybe Ridder was.

We saw it again with Levis, and he's actually looked good.
Ridder had everything setup to succeed. OL, weapons, returning HC and system, plus was a 50 college starter so lots of reps. Had a year to sit and even got into a few games in 2022. Just didn't deliver in 2023.
Shows the fine line between being Brady/Purdy and Ridder when your turn is called.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Gallup was a terrible contract.

Now LVE is out because he can't stay healthy. He probably shouldn't try to keep playing. His neck is a mess. The Cowboys spent a 1st round pick on a physical LB with the idea he'd be replacing Sean Lee. But this is the problem of drafting guys who already had injury problems in college.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Cowboys are really not doing anything this offseason, are they?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Gallup was a terrible contract.

Now LVE is out because he can't stay healthy. He probably shouldn't try to keep playing. His neck is a mess. The Cowboys spent a 1st round pick on a physical LB with the idea he'd be replacing Sean Lee. But this is the problem of drafting guys who already had injury problems in college.

Much like Sean Lee, Skip Bayless in shambles after another Cowboys LB is gone.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Really can’t do much with Dak counting $59 mill against the cap. Have they restructured his deal? Don’t think so.
Ah...now I see how they were able to fit the long snapper under the cap.

The Dallas Cowboys are slightly reducing quarterback Dak Prescott's massive salary cap hit by reworking his contract going into the final year of the deal, sources told ESPN's Field Yates on Monday.

A $5 million roster bonus has been converted into a signing bonus to reduce the 2024 cap hit by $4 million, to just over $55 million, the sources told Yates.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ah...now I see how they were able to fit the long snapper under the cap.
Prior to this restructure, if Dak were to have played out the year on his deal, he would leave behind $40.5 mill in dead cap for the Cowboys for 2025. So, now it will be up to $44.5 mill after this restructure.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The NFL is looking to eliminate the leg break tackle.

This follows the same path as a couple of similar takedowns in the past. Defenders figured out the horse collar tackle could knock opponents out of games, so the league made it illegal. D-linemen figured out they could break QB collar bones by driving the point of the QB's shoulder into the turf and landing on them, so the league made it illegal as well.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So even more rules to prevent players from playing defense and water down game more

f***ing just put flags on all of them and just call it the NFFL at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad