Recalled/Assigned: 2023-24 Sharks/Barracuda

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
You're right but that's rough for Lindblom to not even be the first call up.
I suppose there's an outside possibility--remote as it seems right now--for Lindblom to eventually regain his confidence (it seems to have evaporated to zero last season and not recovered one bit over the summer), and I suppose the best way that could happen is an extended run with the Barracuda, so I'm fine with them waiting to see if that does actually transpire before bringing him back.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Incoming trade demand.
Because he wants to play for a different AHL team? He was the worst defenseman on the worst defense corps in the NHL in both of his games. He’s not getting an easier path to the show anywhere else.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Because he wants to play for a different AHL team? He was the worst defenseman on the worst defense corps in the NHL in both of his games. He’s not getting an easier path to the show anywhere else.
You keep saying this but...I don't think it's true?

Obviously Thrun had a couple bad defensive plays against Vegas (though one was exacerbated or created by a bad puck bounce) and to my eye, at least, didn't look worse than others last night.

And on top of that, he's been the one defenseman capable of actually generating a bit of offense and has continued to look perfectly acceptable on the power play, which is a really positive development for him.

Also, while it's a small sample size, he is currently third on the team, and first amongst defensemen, in both CF% and FF% at 5v5, and his xGF is actually better than his xGA (again at 5v5).

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

Obviously Thrun had a couple bad defensive plays against Vegas (though one was exacerbated or created by a bad puck bounce) and to my eye, at least, didn't look worse than others last night.

And on top of that, he's been the one defenseman capable of actually generating a bit of offense and has continued to look perfectly acceptable on the power play, which is a really positive development for him.

Also, while it's a small sample size, he is currently third on the team, and first amongst defensemen, in both CF% and FF% at 5v5, and his xGF is actually better than his xGA (again at 5v5).
Good stuff

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Seems like this is being said to create a stir and not because you actually believe it. Thrun is not worse than Ferraro and Benning, and was probably the best if not second best D in his two games.

There is no justification in sending down a 22 yr old with already 3 full seasons of college + others when you have nothing but AHL defensemen for the most part already on your team. Quinn is starting to worry about the non-issues already. Good recipe for an absolutely chaotic (not in a good way) season.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

He's first among defensemen in those stats because he's the only one that didn't play in the game where we got shelled by historic proportions.

I wasn't referring to the goals against so much, although his misread on the Roy goal was pretty egregious, but more Thrun looking slow on retrievals and not being an asset on breakouts which I thought was supposed to be calling card.

Is there anything he has been doing well? I don't mean that sarcastically, I'm genuinely wondering.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
He's first among defensemen in those stats because he's the only one that didn't play in the game where we got shelled by historic proportions.

I wasn't referring to the goals against so much, although his misread on the Roy goal was pretty egregious, but more Thrun looking slow on retrievals and not being an asset on breakouts which I thought was supposed to be calling card.

Is there anything he has been doing well? I don't mean that sarcastically, I'm genuinely wondering.
It's funny because I'd say the only thing that looks like he needs to improve is breakout passes. which also starts with needing some NHL forwards on your team. He retrieves the puck well, clears it out at a far better success rate than 38/5 also with less egregious direct pass turnovers like those two. Has been able to run a powerplay with 2-3 AHLers against NHLers, while doing so looking MUCH better than Rutta who Quinn has for some god forsaken reason thought is offensively talented.

Again, stirring just to stir. We're definitely gonna need ya if every game is an ice tilt, at least it keeps it entertaining,

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
It's funny because I'd say the only thing that looks like he needs to improve is breakout passes. which also starts with needing some NHL forwards on your team. He retrieves the puck well, clears it out at a far better success rate than 38/5 also with less egregious direct pass turnovers like those two. Has been able to run a powerplay with 2-3 AHLers against NHLers, while doing so looking MUCH better than Rutta who Quinn has for some god forsaken reason thought is offensively talented.

Again, stirring just to stir. We're definitely gonna need ya if every game is an ice tilt, at least it keeps it entertaining,
Thrun has done nothing to force them to keep him in the NHL. With the injured D coming back it makes sense not to expose them to waivers. He hasn’t looked like he belongs in the NHL right now. It doesn’t matter that none of the other D have looked like they belong either.

I don’t see what the big deal is for sending him down. Keep him away from a team that will be stuck in their own zone for 70% of the game. Let him develop in the AHL on a team that should be competitive. If he forces the issue with his play then he deserves to be called up, but as of now he hasn’t done anything to show he deserves to be in the NHL.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Thrun has done nothing to force them to keep him in the NHL. With the injured D coming back it makes sense not to expose them to waivers. He hasn’t looked like he belongs in the NHL right now. It doesn’t matter that none of the other D have looked like they belong either.

I don’t see what the big deal is for sending him down. Keep him away from a team that will be stuck in their own zone for 70% of the game. Let him develop in the AHL on a team that should be competitive. If he forces the issue with his play then he deserves to be called up, but as of now he hasn’t done anything to show he deserves to be in the NHL.
The only defensemen the Sharks need to worry about exposing waivers are Knyzhov and *maybe* Emberson/Rutta (if you think he has value, looks cooked to me). Sharks should either be happy/not care about a potential waiver loss of any of the others. That still leaves 4 spots cause one of them isn't even playing either :laugh:.

Because he's 22 and has enough fundamental experience already. The ONLY way guys his age get better is experience against the best.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

I mean, maybe him not playing helped create that horrendous shots against situation on Saturday? Maybe. Or not.

I do think Thrun has looked really good on the PP since the preseason, and if we actually play against teams where we can have more puck possession, he's going to be an asset in the attacking zone--he's using his improved skating and shiftiness and his smarts to figure out ways to be useful, much more than I thought possible after his cameo last season.

I also think he's the kind of steady, positionally-sound player (similar to Justin Braun) who knows how to do a job and is getting accustomed to doing it against the best players in the world, and while he still has issues, in my mind he's at a high enough level to need to hone those skills at this level, not the AHL. But also like Braun, his understated way of playing is going to lead to lots of observers to overlook his positives. I know Bret Hedican isn't a guy we all agree with all the time, but his positivity toward Thrun's play (really reminiscent of how he talked about Braun's play) says something for me.

Anyway, I get sending Thrun down because of the numbers game, but I'm quite confident at this point that he's going to end up being better than any of the guys he's being sent down in order to give them a shot (Knyzhov, Emberson, Okhotiuk...not to mention Simek and Macdonald, maybe) and at this point I don't know if any of those guys, other than Emberson, would even be claimed if waived. So I don't know, It's an awkward situation, but I just think it's not the best thing for Thrun and his development at this point.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I mean, maybe him not playing helped create that horrendous shots against situation on Saturday? Maybe. Or not.

I do think Thrun has looked really good on the PP since the preseason, and if we actually play against teams where we can have more puck possession, he's going to be an asset in the attacking zone--he's using his improved skating and shiftiness and his smarts to figure out ways to be useful, much more than I thought possible after his cameo last season.

I also think he's the kind of steady, positionally-sound player (similar to Justin Braun) who knows how to do a job and is getting accustomed to doing it against the best players in the world, and while he still has issues, in my mind he's at a high enough level to need to hone those skills at this level, not the AHL. But also like Braun, his understated way of playing is going to lead to lots of observers to overlook his positives. I know Bret Hedican isn't a guy we all agree with all the time, but his positivity toward Thrun's play (really reminiscent of how he talked about Braun's play) says something for me.

Anyway, I get sending Thrun down because of the numbers game, but I'm quite confident at this point that he's going to end up being better than any of the guys he's being sent down in order to give them a shot (Knyzhov, Emberson, Okhotiuk...not to mention Simek and Macdonald, maybe) and at this point I don't know if any of those guys, other than Emberson, would even be claimed if waived. So I don't know, It's an awkward situation, but I just think it's not the best thing for Thrun and his development at this point.
First off judging Thrun on his play in preseason against below AHL talent is not productive.

I start from a position much lower on Thrun than others. I have him as my 10th best Sharks prospect. I see his ceiling as a #4 defenseman similar to Braun. While that type of player is valuable I don’t see the impact that a player with a higher ceiling might have.

Speaking of Braun he has almost identical numbers through college as Thrun and he spent more than half his first season in the AHL. Braun (the offensive dynamo) put up 23 points in 34 AHL games and earned a call up.

Thrun can do the same thing in the AHL and force the Sharks to recall him based on his play. Also for everyone praising his PP play, Thrun has no future as a PP QB in the NHL. If he is on the PP that team is destined for a lottery pick.

It is not going to hurt him to play in the AHL and I personally believe it will help him.

Ultimately Thrun’s success as a prospect will have almost no impact on the success of the rebuild. So let’s just go back to criticizing a bad shift by Smith and call him a bust because he missed the net on a shot.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
First off judging Thrun on his play in preseason against below AHL talent is not productive.

I start from a position much lower on Thrun than others. I have him as my 10th best Sharks prospect. I see his ceiling as a #4 defenseman similar to Braun. While that type of player is valuable I don’t see the impact that a player with a higher ceiling might have.

Speaking of Braun he has almost identical numbers through college as Thrun and he spent more than half his first season in the AHL. Braun (the offensive dynamo) put up 23 points in 34 AHL games and earned a call up.

Thrun can do the same thing in the AHL and force the Sharks to recall him based on his play. Also for everyone praising his PP play, Thrun has no future as a PP QB in the NHL. If he is on the PP that team is destined for a lottery pick.

It is not going to hurt him to play in the AHL and I personally believe it will help him.

Ultimately Thrun’s success as a prospect will have almost no impact on the success of the rebuild. So let’s just go back to criticizing a bad shift by Smith and call him a bust because he missed the net on a shot.
The preseason reference is only because that same thing has carried on into the regular season.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Anyway, I get sending Thrun down because of the numbers game, but I'm quite confident at this point that he's going to end up being better than any of the guys he's being sent down in order to give them a shot (Knyzhov, Emberson, Okhotiuk...not to mention Simek and Macdonald, maybe) and at this point I don't know if any of those guys, other than Emberson, would even be claimed if waived

Prior to the season, I'd have not been surprised if Emberson, Okhotyuk or MacDonald got claimed. The other two (Simek and Knyzhov), unlikely, along with other factors there's their contracts and injury history. Situation's different now, with teams more set with their rosters, but it's still not unfeasible.

Okhotyuk is still young and there might be a team willing to take a gamble (looking at you, Chicago). Seems like he did fine in the limited NHL minutes he's already had. The additional injury time he just had might make teams hesitate, though. I'll at least be holding my breath if I see his name on the waiver wire.

I'm not particularly worried about losing MacDonald, but if he got waived and I as an opposing GM needed a 7D or an injury fill-in, why would I not just claim a veteran on a cheap expiring deal? Problem solved, and it cost me zero assets.

Emberson, yeah. I'd be pretty shocked if we snuck him through waivers at this stage. At the very least I'm pretty sure the Rangers would just take him back.

Last edited:

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
I don’t see what the big deal is for sending him down.
The biggest deal are those who boarded the Thrun hype train (some went as far to suggest he'd be the 1D on the team).

He's not an NHL defenseman at this point. He looks slow on the ice - not sure if his skating is below par or he's just not processing the speed of the game (that alone deserves time in the AHL). Vlasic is everyone's favorite whipping boy now but he was steady even he debuted as a teenager.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

I think Thrun is SJ's best Dman atm and is only gonna get better the more he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad