Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
To be clear though, didn't the last team doc quit because of what they asked him to do. I thought it was his decision the whole way to leave, which I vaguely remembering respecting at the time.
UC Health is who partners with the Avs to run the team doctor stuff. The last doctor, the one who called on the girl in Nuke's room, was not retained last summer. He's still as UC Health and one of their top doctors. A new one was assigned after that. UC Health and the Avs have not officially commented on why that change happened. Off the record it is not a secret why the Avs got a new doctor.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It was a pretty clean hit by Benn on Toews. If that bloke would have been Sammy's size then it would be headshot.
I guess it depends on what your definition of a 'clean hit' is.

If it's a normal part of the game, where 1 player just delivers a big hit to another player - then fine, it could be deemed a clean hit.

However, in this case - that f***tard jamie benn looked at Toews who was looking for the puck and noticed that his head was down so he decided to take 5 strides and targeted his HEAD. For me, that's a dirty hit that should have been penalized and WOULD have been penalized if that asshole wasn't blowing the refs in-between periods and whatever nefarious affiliation he has - and HAS ALWAYS HAD - with those morons in the player safety office that everyone seems to know about but just shrug and can't see a f***ing giant conflict of interest.

You can be certain of one thing : if any Avs player had done that very same thing - it would have been 5 and a game + a suspension. That's 1000% certain.

f*** YOU NHL - you'll never get another penny of my money.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can't excuse them for lying, but as far as allowing someone to come back in a game, that's on the concussion protocols. Symptoms can often take hours to show up.

That's still on the team for me. As you allude to, we all know it can take a day or two for symtoms to show up. We're well past them being able to claim they don't know this.

Regardless of the protocol, the Avs have seen this first hand multiple times now, yet they still say they're fine, and let them come back after brutal hits they were clearly shaken up from. It's a willful disregard for their long term health IMO.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
UC Health is who partners with the Avs to run the team doctor stuff. The last doctor, the one who called on the girl in Nuke's room, was not retained last summer. He's still as UC Health and one of their top doctors. A new one was assigned after that. UC Health and the Avs have not officially commented on why that change happened. Off the record it is not a secret why the Avs got a new doctor.
Maybe the discarded doc got a nice severance from the Avs. In exchange for signing an ironclad NDA, of course.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

If it's a normal part of the game, where 1 player just delivers a big hit to another player - then fine, it could be deemed a clean hit.

However, in this case - that f***tard jamie benn looked at Toews who was looking for the puck and noticed that his head was down so he decided to take 5 strides and targeted his HEAD.
I think a number of these "shoulder to the head" hits start out OK, but then go into the shitter for the same reason: right before contact, the player doing the hitting straightens his knees and uncoils himself - upwards - and then the other player's head gets hit.

If these hitting players just stayed low and checked into the body, there would be many fewer head injuries.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

However, in this case - that f***tard jamie benn looked at Toews who was looking for the puck and noticed that his head was down so he decided to take 5 strides and targeted his HEAD. For me, that's a dirty hit that should have been penalized and WOULD have been penalized if that asshole wasn't blowing the refs in-between periods and whatever nefarious affiliation he has - and HAS ALWAYS HAD - with those morons in the player safety office that everyone seems to know about but just shrug and can't see a f***ing giant conflict of interest.

You can be certain of one thing : if any Avs player had done that very same thing - it would have been 5 and a game + a suspension. That's 1000% certain.

Also skated into the hit, left both feet, and extended up with his body to make it, instead of staying on his feet and driving through the core.

Also looked like he did hit the head to me. I didn't see any conclusive replays showing he missed the head. Didn't look like just whiplash to me. It would have been pretty hard for him to miss the head entirely with that hit.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019

I’ll undoubtedly get lambasted on here for this but whatever:

Clean is clean. There will always be players that hit to hurt and that’s ok, as long as it’s legal. Asking a physical player to remove big checks is akin to asking boxers not to hit in the head, it makes no sense.

The problem is we’ve taken alot of player awareness out of the game and they are being taught to turn into bad situations, become complacent, etc.

It sucks and I’d bet Benn wasn’t aiming to concuss him but he’s not throwing a hit to separate, he’s throwing a hit to scare toews into making mistakes in the future.

The two biggest problems imo are that the league doesn’t actually crack down hard enough when there are bad hits, and players are way too complacent.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
That's still on the team for me. As you allude to, we all know it can take a day or two for symtoms to show up. We're well past them being able to claim they don't know this.

Regardless of the protocol, the Avs have seen this first hand multiple times now, yet they still say they're fine, and let them come back after brutal hits they were clearly shaken up from. It's a willful disregard for their long term health IMO.
I think I'd like to dive a little more into this with regards to how the Avs compare to other teams when it comes to catching players during the in-game protocol vs. having the symptoms come on later and then the player goes on IR. Are the Avs significantly worse, i.e., allowing more players to play than other teams. The reason I ask, is that I'm not sure what the alternative is other than changing protocol to say if you get pulled to be checked on, you're done for the game... but I have a feeling teams would be very against have the league being able to automatically pull a player for the remainder of the game during the playoffs.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I’ll undoubtedly get lambasted on here for this but whatever:

Clean is clean. There will always be players that hit to hurt and that’s ok, as long as it’s legal. Asking a physical player to remove big checks is akin to asking boxers not to hit in the head, it makes no sense.

The problem is we’ve taken alot of player awareness out of the game and they are being taught to turn into bad situations, become complacent, etc.

It sucks and I’d bet Benn wasn’t aiming to concuss him but he’s not throwing a hit to separate, he’s throwing a hit to scare toews into making mistakes in the future.

The two biggest problems imo are that the league doesn’t actually crack down hard enough when there are bad hits, and players are way too complacent.
Call it pedantic all you want but I wish we’d start separating the term clean from legal. That was a legal hit under the current rules but it was greasy as hell. Benn could have had an actual regard for not hitting Toews head but didn’t. It’s not a penalty or suspension based on how the rules are written but shows a lack of respect for other guy’s heads and life outside of hockey (from a guy who has cross checked two guys in the neck). There’s a reason other leagues and international hockey has moved towards removing head contact altogether but the NHL still argues there’s no link with CTE so here we are

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad