Injury Report: 2019-2020 Injury Report

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
What is Blais status and evaluated time to come back? What about Sanford isn't he healthy scratch?
I've seen that Blais is skating, but given he had surgery on his wrist, that doesn't mean much. It was announced on November 20th that he would be evaluated in 10 weeks, which puts him back about mid-January. I have no clue about Sanford. Berube doesn't like to tinker much when the team is winning so I think he's just odd man out right now.

Reactions: Ranksu

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm pretty sure someone (John Kelly?) mentioned yesterday that Blais was getting his cast off today. I would expect once that happens he'll need a couple of weeks of physical therapy before he's ready to start practicing again. I think the original time frame was for a return after the All Star break and there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that won't be the case unless his therapy doesn't go well.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am in no hurry whatsoever. Just heal up, Mr Blais. It's not worth re-injuring yourself by coming back too soon.

TaffyPool

Mar 8, 2019
^ Same. And with it being a wrist injury, an easy target for opponents in a scrum, or a blatant slash.

I saw in another thread that some teams are beginning to use Kevlar wrist guards, ostensibly to protect against blade cuts as recently occurred (or like Chara’s cut from a Tarasenko shot last year); don’t know what that provides in way of support, but worth considering.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I’m sure at this point they are just gonna give Parayko 2 more weeks off and he will return after the All Star break.

Most teams don’t have the luxury to do that. But this team does. They just keep plugging along.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It's cool Colton, take whatever time you need. We have Finnish Parayko covering you and Ranksu said you could totally take the rest of the season off if you want.

Reactions: mk80 and Ranksu

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Do we have any idea what Parayko's injury actually is? At first he was a game time decision because he was "a little sore" and now he's been out for close to two weeks I think. I know Mikkola's play likely plays a role in this, but I'm just hoping he'll be good to go soon enough. Find a spot for Mikkola by sitting Bortz. Let's play our 6 best Dmen.

Dunn-Petro
Bo-Parayko
Mikkola-Faulk

Could probably give each of those pairings similar minutes.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Do we have any idea what Parayko's injury actually is? At first he was a game time decision because he was "a little sore" and now he's been out for close to two weeks I think. I know Mikkola's play likely plays a role in this, but I'm just hoping he'll be good to go soon enough. Find a spot for Mikkola by sitting Bortz. Let's play our 6 best Dmen.

Dunn-Petro
Bo-Parayko
Mikkola-Faulk

I actually really like those pairings, but I can’t see the team rolling a rookie out there for the playoffs if they can help it. But Mikkola so far is proving he belongs here. And that’s a good sign long term.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Dunn-Petro
Bo-Parayko
Mikkola-Faulk

I think it’s probably nothing, and he’d be playing right now if it were the playoffs. Probably a soft tissue injury like a shoulder or his back, maybe pulled groin. Since the team is getting along fine without him, and Mikkola is holding up his stint, they have an opportunity to go slow with Parayko and buy him an extra week of rest after the next two games.

IR is just a book-keeping measure to extend Mikkola’s time.

Reports were that Parayko has been skating in practice.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Clearly we are a better team with Parayko on the ice, but we’re holding our own for the short term. No need to rush him back. Let him heal and it gives Mikkola a few more games to show what he can do.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I'm fine with the move, I heard Parayko has been skating in practice. This move allows Mikkola to get some more games in and give Parayko extra time over the upcoming break.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a move to get Mikkola exactly one more game, tonight against the Flyers. I could easily see Parayko being activated for Saturday's game against Colorado, though they seem less of a threat these days than Dallas.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015

Dunn-Petro
Bo-Parayko
Mikkola-Faulk

spot on
in my mind mikkola has already secured his spot on the roster ... maybe the pairings dont shake out the same but thats the six i would roll with .

Reactions: shmotz

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Faulk had another great game on the right side too. I like the balance in these pairs. It's hard to leave out Bortz, but we'll need all the firepower we can muster.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Faulk had another great game on the right side too. I like the balance in these pairs. It's hard to leave out Bortz, but we'll need all the firepower we can muster.
I think Faulk had really bad game at defensively. He lost his man at 1st goal and bad communication with Jbo in 2nd goal. He should have recognize that Jbo is out of his position and take that open space, but no hockey IQ for that. Overally Faulk tried to be physical, but he doesn't have frame to win those 1on1 battles. He is decent, but not good enough to carry that pair when he played with Jbo. Tho Mikkola - Faulk would ideally be great fit for both players. Mikkola can defend front of net and read plays there and box out forwards and Faulk can play his game, quick transition game.

Reactions: kruz12

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I think Faulk had really bad game at defensively. He lost his man at 1st goal and bad communication with Jbo in 2nd goal. He should have recognize that Jbo is out of his position and take that open space, but no hockey IQ for that. Overally Faulk tried to be physical, but he doesn't have frame to win those 1on1 battles. He is decent, but not good enough to carry that pair when he played with Jbo. Tho Mikkola - Faulk would ideally be great fit for both players. Mikkola can defend front of net and read plays there and box out forwards and Faulk can play his game, quick transition game.

He scored a goal and hit a post. Looked good to me. :nod:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Read again. Please :)

He scored a goal and hit a post. Looked good to me. :nod:

This is the case where here in Blues board I've face a lot of. People value so differently what is good dmen.

Dmen who produce pretty high level, but is defensively worrisome and can't handle toughest competition or dmen who isn't producing high level, but can shutdown toughest competition.

I would take 100/100 dmen who can shutdown opposite team toughest opponent.

Reactions: simon IC

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Read again. Please :)

This is the case where here in Blues board I've face a lot of. People value so differently what is good dmen.

Dmen who produce pretty high level, but is defensively worrisome and can't handle toughest competition or dmen who isn't producing high level, but can shutdown toughest competition.

I would take 100/100 dmen who can shutdown opposite team toughest opponent.
As with most things in life, it's usually about balance. You can't have a team full of shutdown defensemen if they can't get the puck out of their zone, and you can't have a team full of puck moving defensemen if they're awful at defending. You need a mix of both, and it is helpful when some of your biggest minute guys (see Pietrangelo, Parayko) are good at both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad